Dungarvan in old picture postcards

Dungarvan in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   William Fraher
Gemeente
:   Dungarvan
Provincie
:   Waterford
Land
:   Ierland
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5788-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dungarvan in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. This photograph, taken by Edmund Keohan around 1900, shows the interior of the chapel, in the Christian Brother's monastery, at Rice's Street. The monastery was built in 1850, adjacent to the school. The chapel had a classical interior, with rich plasterwork and pilasters. In the 1890s it was further embellished by Michael Beary, the borough surveyor, when elaborate stencil work, marbling and other paint effects were added. This fine interior was lost when the monastery was demolished in 1980.

20. St. Augustine Street showing the old Town Hall on the right. In the 1870s the Town Commissioners acquired an old warehouse which they had converted into a Town Hall. It housed the Commissioner's offices, a public library, theatre and butter market. In the early 1900s the fa├žade had to be demolished, and was replaced by the present decorative plaster front. The small building on the right, with the gothic windows, was the Methodist Church.

21. Church Street looking south towards St. Mary's Church of Ireland. The top of the street marks the site of the medieval south gate. On the right is the Convent of the Sisters of Mercy. The first lane on the left is Bath Street and the one above it was known as Parsley Lane. The first house on the left has a date stone at its base, inscribed 'Patricke Gough, 1615.'

22. Church Street, with the Convent of Mercy buildings on the left, in about 1900. The Sisters of Mercy were invited to Dungarvan in 1854 by alocal merchant Andrew Carbery. Four sisters came fram Cappoquin and were given a house in South Terrace by Mr. Carbery. In 1859 Carbery purchased the convent of the Presentation Sisters in Church Street and presented it to the Mercy sisters. The entrance arch to the building on the left has a plaque noting that it was built as an infant school in 1862.

I ? DUNGARVAN.

23. This postcard shows the ladies' bathing place at The Lookout in the early 1900s. The picture was taken from one of the houses at Abbeyview, several of which we re used as lodging houses by visitors to Dungarvan. In the background is Strandside South in Abbeyside. The terrace of four houses in the centre marks the site of Epworth Cottage, the birthplace of Ernest T.S. Walton (born in 1903). In 1932 Walton and his colleague Sir John Cockroft made an important scientific advance, when they split the atom. They shared the Nobel Prize for physics in 1951 for this endeavour.

Dungarv<l

24. This area is now called The Lookout, and was constructed in 1894. It was originally known as The Esplanade. When this photograph was taken the area wasn't a public road, as it is at present, but a pedestrian area with seats and trees. In summer time people boarded the ferry here to go to the Cunnigar, a large sand bar at the entrance to the harbour.

25. The Lookout in the early 1900s showing the meri's bathing place with the park on the left. The women's bathing area was situated around the next corner. Note the row of bathing boxes. In the 1950s this area was reclaimed and a public road constructed. In 1942 an open-air swimming pool was built on the site of this bathing place.

The Park, Dungarvan.

26. A view of the park at The Lookout in the 1930s. This pleasant little park was landscaped in 1894 and financed through a bequest left to the townspeople by Captain William Gibbons. The details are recorded on the entrance archway. Since this photograph was taken the single-storey houses behind the bandstand have had an extra storey added.

27. A group of JocaJs and visitors enjoying a concert in the park by Dungarvan Brass Band. Visitors were known JocaJly as Gaybricks. The cast-iron bandstand made by McFarlane's of Glasgow was erected in 1901. The celtic cross to the right commemmorates Edmund Power, a member of the United Irishmen, who was hanged in 1798 at the Old Market House.

28. This photograph shows the fish sellers or fish joulters as they were called locally, with their stalls at Davitt's Quay around 1900. In the past Dungarvan's prosperity was based on its fishing industry. Fish were exported to various English ports and to the continent. The Dungarvan hake was a popular fish in many parts of Europe. The industry went into a decline after the middle of the 19th century in Dungarvan, but prospered across the bay at Helvick and Ballinagoul.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek