Dungarvan in old picture postcards

Dungarvan in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   William Fraher
Gemeente
:   Dungarvan
Provincie
:   Waterford
Land
:   Ierland
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5788-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dungarvan in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. Stokes's Baths were situated at the end of Davitt's Quay and th is photograph shows the entrance in Still Lane. The baths were first built in the 1830s when they were known as the Clarence Baths. At this time they were run by the Misses Baker and were for ladies only. In 1885 George Stokes, a plumber from Grattan Square, remodelled the baths and opened them to the public. George Stokes can be seen on the left and Bill Stokes is the man on the right, with the dog.

30. Stokes's Baths showing the open-air swimming baths. Ta the right is a wall which divided the men's from the women's bathing area. In 1903 a bath cast two pence, a shower bath four pence and a reclining bath eight pence.

The Quay> Dunqerven

31. Davitt's Quay, looking north towards the bridge in the early 1900s. The quays were created by the 6th Duke of Devonshire as part of the town improvements in the early 1800s. The engineer in charge was Jesse Hartley (1780-1860), who designed several canals and bridges in England and also the docks at Liverpool. The man on the right is thought to be captain Curran, alocal merchant and shipowner.

32. Davitt's Quay photographed by Richard Edward Brenan in 1901. The picture shows a section of the quay wall, under reconstruction. The work was carried out by Denis McGrath, a local building contractor, who was paid f387. Note the many schooners and fishing boats. The warehouse and dwelling on the left have recently been replaced by the L&N supermarket development.

Quay, Dungarvan.

33. Davitt's Quay in the 1930s taken from the bridge looking south towards King John's Castie. On the right are the high walls surrounding the old prison demolished in the 1960s. In front of it a large section of the quay wall is under reconstruction. The large store in the centre of the picture is Moloney's mills and corn store. Moored at the quay is a steamship called 'The Cargan', owned by local merchants K. Williams & Co.

34. Davitt's Quay in its heyday, packed with schoon ers and fishing boats. The boat in the centre is the 'Village Girl', which was built at Ardrossan in 1868 and owned by Patriek Curran. Behind it is 'The Parton' , built in Wales in 1880 and owned by Sheehan Ryans. This boat was used to carry coal, timber and oats to and from ports such as Bristol, Cardiff and Newport.

35. This photograph taken by Richard Edward Brenan depiets the 'Eliza O'Keefe' aground in Dungarvan harbour. The 'Eliza O'Keefe' was a barquentine built in Youghal by P. Kidney in 1856 and owned by Clifford & Co. Dungarvan. The boat was wrecked in March 1900 but the four crewmen were rescued by the lifeboat.

36. A photograph ofthe 'Marechal de Noailles' taken by Edmund Keohan in January 1913. This French ship was on a voyage to New Caledonia when she became wrecked on the cliffs near Mine Head lighthouse, a few mil es from Dungarvan. The Rev. John O'Shea from Ardmore led the rescue to save the 24 crew men. Father O'Shea was involved in several sea rescues and received the George Cross from the King in 1911.

37. Dungarvan harbour with the bridge in the foreground taken in 1913. The bridge was built by the 6th Duke of Devonshire in 1816. lts design is attributed to William Atkinson, the engineer being Jesse Hartley. The stone was imported ready-cut from Runcorn in Cheshire. The wooden building in front is Crotty's coach and wheel factory.

38. The northern end of Davitt's Quay taken from the causeway at Abbeyside. This area was known as the Graving Bank and was used for the repair of boats. The imposing stone building behind the ship was built as a Town Hall in 1860 and later acquired by the Provincial Bank of Ireland. Beside it is an old warehouse, which was used as a brewery in the 1860s and purchased in the 1920s by Dungarvan Co-op. The building to its right was Curran's Commercial Hotel, built in 1878.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek