Dungarvan in old picture postcards

Dungarvan in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   William Fraher
Gemeente
:   Dungarvan
Provincie
:   Waterford
Land
:   Ierland
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5788-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dungarvan in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. This card produced by Valentines in 1911 is a good example of the elaborate colours and designs used on some postcards of the period. It has inset views of Davitt's Quay and The Lookout.

40. This card is similar to that shown on the previous page and both appear to be part of a set. It shows views of the park and McGrath's castle, Abbeyside.

41. A photograph of Egan's Hotel, O'Connell Street, taken by Edmund Keohan. In 1867 it was ealled 'The Hibernian' and was owned by Thomas O'Neill. By the early 1900s the business sold wines and spirits and had a bakery and groeery. Some years later it was purehased by the Eagan family, who were the owners of the hotel when this photograph was taken. It is now known as the Ormonde Hotel. P. Buehanan's barber's shop and Michael Bransfield's pub ean also be seen in the photograph.

O'Connell Street, Dungarvan.

42. O'Connell Street in the 1930s taken from Grattan Square. Dunlea's model bakery on the right and several shops beside it are now occupied by M.l. Curran & Sons. The building on the left with the meat hanging outside was John Morrissey's, which comprised of a butcher's, grocer's and bar. Note the sign 'Hotel' over the shopfront.

43. T.F. Meagher Street or Bridge Street photographed in the 1930s. The second shopfront on the left was the newspaper office of the Dungarvan Observer, established in 1912 by John A. Lynch. Above it is Moloney's hardware which is still trading. The three-storey building opposite was part of the Munster and Leinster Bank.

M eagher Street. Dungarvan

44. T.F. Meagher Street in the early 1900s looking south into Grattan Square. This street was created around 1806 as part of the Devonshire improvements. The row of houses on the right consisted of five private dwellings, with the last house used as the Devonshire Arms Hotel. The building on the left was built to house the Waterford County Council offices. Beside it is the fine Iimestone courthouse built by James Pain in the 1820s. The ivy-covered wall was part of the 'Shambles', a me at and fish market built by the Duke of Devonshire in 1816.

45. The Devonshire Arms Hotel photographed by Edmund Keohan about 1909. Over the front entrance there is an elaborate cast-iron balcony which incorporates the Devonshire family arms. The hotel was originally run by a Richard McGrath and was acquired in 1861 by James Lynch. It was the scene of numerous election meetings and celebrations. William Thackeray stayed there and Eamon de Valera, Michael Collins and other notabie political figures gave speeches from the balcony. The hotel is now known as 'Lawlors Hotel'.

46. Power's Bakery, 18 O'Connell Street in the 1930s, showing the staff with the owner Joseph Power standing on the far right. Back row, left to right: John Power, Phil Heaney, John Dunford, Michael Whelan, Mikey Reily, Jim Cronin and Richie Whelan. Centre row:

Micky Organ, John Greaney, Willie Sullivan, Tommy Power, Philip Duggan, Nicky Keohane, Paddy Sullivan and Jack Duggan. Front row: Mamie Donovan, May Dunford, A. Scanlan, Joan Power, Alice Power, Rita O'Connor, Esther Gough, Bridget Riordan and Rita Fahy.

47. Scanlan & Co., hardware merchants of 3 and 4 Main Street. The shop was established in the 1870s by John Scanlan, They were grocers and tea, wine and spirit merchants. There was also harness making, a saddlery and a furniture factory on the premises. In the 1920s it was taken over by the Mulcahy family as a drapery shop.

48. Crotty's Garage was situated in T.F. Meagher Street beside the bridge. It was established by Dan Crotty in the early 1900s as a coach and wheel factory. At the rear of the premises he opened Dungarvan's first cinema which continued in use until a new cinema was built in O'Connell Street in the early 1950s.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek