Dungarvan in old picture postcards

Dungarvan in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   William Fraher
Gemeente
:   Dungarvan
Provincie
:   Waterford
Land
:   Ierland
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5788-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dungarvan in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. This photograph shows a steam train crossing the railway bridge over the river Colligan. Dungarvan railway station can be seen in the background. The Waterford, Dungarvan and Lismore railway line was opened on 12th August 1878. The level crossing at the causeway was reputed to be the longest gated crossing in Europe. The line was closed in 1968 and nothing now remains of the station buildings.

50. The staff of Dungarvan railway station in the 1920s. The man with the cap, in the front row, was the stationmaster, MT. Harnet.

Abbeyside, Dungarvan:

51. Strandside South, Abbeyside in the 1930s. In the centre of the picture is Seaview Terrace, which dates from the early 19th century. On the far right is a pleasant pair of 19th century houses with matching sandstone coach houses. Scattered between later buildings are some of the old thatched houses, once so common in Abbeyside, of which only one example now survives.

52. Horne Rule Street, Abbeyside in the early 1900s. In 1885 its name was changed from Victoria Street, The ruined building in the background is McGrath's Castle. All the houses in the photograph have been replaced by modern dwellings.

53. The Hermitage, Abbeyside, photographed by Richard Edward Brenan about 1900. The house was built in a cottage omé style in the 1820s by Pierce Eustace Barron. In the 1860s Benjamin Purser and his family occupied the house. His daughter, Sarah Henrietta (1848-1943), was brought up there. She studied painting in Paris and became a successful portrait painter. In 1903 she founded An Tur Gloine (The Tower of Glass) the first Irish stained-glass studio. In the early 1900s the house was acquired by the O'Shea family, who removed the thatched roof and added an extra storey.

THE C :ReH A.BBEYSIDE, Du"'}iGA.RV ~~

.'"

.. ..

54. Abbeyside Church with the ruin of the old Augustinian abbey. The Augustinians built this abbey around 1290, having been invited from England by their patron, Thomas, Lord Offaly, Justiciary of Ireland. They lost the abbey at the Dissolution of the monasteries in 1541. This view shows the 19th century church with the tower and ruined chancelof the abbey. The chancel, which was repaired in the 1920s, contains the tomb of Donal McGrath, which is dated 1470.

55. Abbeyside Church showing the main front photographed in 1900. The church was built in the 1820s on the site of the abbeys domestic buildings. lts main entrance was through an arch in the old tower. The interior was re-designed in 1892 by George Ashlin, who added a new timber ceiling and vestry. In the early 1920s the wall behind the high altar was decorated with elaborate stencil work, which has unfortunately been painted over. The fine entrance gates and lamp holder were removed in the 1970s.

56. Friar's Walk, Abbeyside showing McGrath's Castle and Abbeyside Church in the distance. This castie or tower house was probably built in the 16th century by the McGrath family. It had six floors, two ofthem supported by stone vaults. The castle was still roofed in the mid-18th century, but feIl into ruin in the 1800s. Note the sm all section of wall by the raad which was probably part of the bawn, a surrounding defensive wall.

57. McGrath's CastIe photographed by Edmund Keohan and inscribed : '3 walls of the üld CastIe Abbeyside, collapsed on Jan. 18th 1916.' Around this time Keohan published a booklet on the castIe giving details of the collapse. Some of the lower portions of the building remained until the early 1960s, when they were completely removed.

--

J

~--

58. Strandside south, Abbeyside, photographed from King John's Castle in 1907. In the foreground we see a boat race in progress, probably during the Abbeyside Pattern held anually on the 28th of August to honour St. Augustine. The single-storey slated building in the centre is Abbeyside School, built in 1891. In the background are the thatched houses of Home Rule Street and beyond them a row of houses known as Slate Lane.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek