Dungarvan in old picture postcards

Dungarvan in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   William Fraher
Gemeente
:   Dungarvan
Provincie
:   Waterford
Land
:   Ierland
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5788-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dungarvan in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. Ballinamuck Mill near Dungarvan which dates from the early 19th century. The mill was acquired in the 1870s by Cornelius Sheehan, who produced tweeds and woolen goods there. He also had a shop at 23 Grattan Square. Sheehan's won many awards for their goods, and exhibited in major exhibitions in Ireland, England and America. The mill was sold by Sheehans in 1937 and is now a ruin.

'1

70. Ballinacourty, a small fishing village on the eastern side of Dungarvan bay, about three miles from Dungarvan. A pier was constructed in 1832 by Alexander Deane. This postcard shows a thatched house which was Mary Drohan's public house, the site of which is presently occupied by the Gold Coast holiday complex. The stone building on the left is the old lifeboat house. Behind this building there was a row of two-storey houses, all of which have since been demolished. Beyond the stone wall on the right was the coastguard station built in the 1870s, burned in 1922, and re built by Dungarvan Golf Club as a club house.

71. Ballinacourty lighthouse and lighthouse-keeper's cottage in 1914, with Helvick Head in the background. The lighthouse was built in 1851 with limestone from an adjacent quarry. Near the lighthouse is Ballinacourty House, home to the Longan family from about 1700 until the turn of the century. There is an evocative description of the house and garden in the book 'Walled Gardens - Scenes from an Anglo lrish childhood' by Annabel DavisGoff.

72. Clone a Castie was a three-storey tower situated at the upper end of Clonea Beach, a few miles from Dungarvan. The tower was built adjacent to Clone a House, the seat of the McGwire family since the early 18th century. William W. McGwire died in the 1920s and left the estate to the St. Vincent de Paul. An account of 1842 states that the tower was a castle built by the FitzGeraids. However, it is more likely that it was built as a foUy in the 18th or 19th centuries. The tower was destroyed in the winter storms of 1990.

Cucn l1ell1)1C, ,ón Rrnn.

73. A view of Helvick Head, Ring, situated on the southern side of Dungarvan bay. This postcard taken in the 1930s was part of a set of local views produced by the Ring Cooperative Stores. Ring is a Gaeltacht or Irish speaking district about five miles from Dungarvan. The fishing pier can be seen in the centre of the picture and in the foreground is Helvick Lodge, built by the Villiers Stuart family in the 19th century. The name Helvick is of Viking origin.

74. Another view of Helvick in the 1930s showing the long row of coastguard cottages. Samuel Lewis writing in 1837 states th at a pier and several fisherrnen's cottages were built here in 1828 by Lord Stuart de Decies. A monument in the form of an obelisk was erected in 1955 to commemorate the landing here in 1867 of a group of American Fenians on the ship 'Erin's Hope'.

Col..,ó1fce n.ó. Rmne.

75. Ring College photographed in the 1930s. The college was founded in 1906 by the Rev. Dr. Michael Sheehan and the Rev. Dr. Richard Hennebry. lts aim was to promote Irish language and culture. In 1909 they acquired the building shown here. lt was built in 1876 as part of a planned industrial school. The college has since been rebuilt and enlarged and now runs Irish language summer schools.

76. Interior view of St. Nicholas's Church, Ring, in the 1930s. The church is thought to have been built in 1828 replacing an earlier building further down hilI. The picture shows the high altar with its Gothic tracery and pillars. The surrounding wall is stenciled as are the panels, with celtie motifs. The interior also had Gothie style balconies, eeiling plasterwork and eorniees. Unfortunately this fine interior has been modernised, loosing all the features shown in this picture.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek