Dunmow in old picture postcards

Dunmow in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Stan Jarvis
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3417-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dunmow in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. The white house seen weU down the road in the previous postcard is now seen in close-up with the men and the implements which constitute the business of Charles Julius Butcher, agricultural engineer and wheelwright - not to be confused with Charlie Butcher, the higgler and poulterer. The haymaking, reaping and other farm machines seen here show all the complications of horse-drawn agricultural equipment in the last years before motorisation. The house itself is dated 1885, high up under the eaves at the side; the photograph must have been taken some ten years later. In 1936 the house was dismantled, transported in pieces and re-erected on a site off the Stortford road.

10. Moving northwest along the High Street, and looking back the way we have come we see a wagon on its way from the brewery off Market Square passing, on the left, houses which today fonn the office of P.l. Rayner, builders' draughtsman and surveyor and then, with an extension on the end, the office and showroom of Colin Ivory cars. The magnificent ehestnut tree, seen here in ful! bioom, has gone and so have the gates belowit, leaving an aeeess road to properties behind the car showrooms and the neighbouring Dunmow Inn. Aeross the road, under the other chestnut tree, ean be seen the window of the White Lion inn. At the extreme right of the foreground the entrance to New Street can just be detected. The Cenotaph was to be sited here later.

11. Movingjust a little further on, in the steps of photographerFred Spalding, we see on the right the mouth of New Street more c1early defined and beside it the old house, which we see today has been adapted as the offices of the Dunmow site of the Uttlesford District Council. Called the White House, it was at one time used as a convent. Around 1894 it was the home of Frederick Bartley , later the Livermores lived here. The birds against the sky look larger than life - and they are, for it was one of Fred Spalding's eccentricities to draw birds in on the negative where he feit that an expanse of sky needed some relief. The White Lion is now clearly seen beyond the chestnut tree on the right. Today it gives hospitality to an Indian restaurant, to Serendipity and to Video Spectacular, but the facia of the oid inn can still be easily appreciated, though it is all now called Tudor Court.

12. The focal point of this postcard is the War Memorial, which helps to date the scene to shortly after the Great War, around 1920. The iron column on the other side of the street serves a more prosaic purpose as a vent for the sewerage system. To improve its effect on the landscape the top is finished in the shape of a crown. The shop with its blind down, on the left, is Dowsett's, remembered by older Dunmow folk for its marvellous collection of toys for sale. On the other side of the road, in the middle distance, the White Lion illustrates the march of time; it has turned from a coaching inn to a temperanee hotel offering luncheons and teas. Right beside it stands a primitive petrol pump, sign that the times were iudeed changing.

13. The memorial to 84 Dunmow men who gave their lives in the Great War stands white and pure. The date is 17th July 1921; the time, a Sunday afternoon; the place, the junction ofNew Street and High Street. General Byng, by this time Lord Byng ofVimy, has just unveiled the monument and the Union Jack has fallen away to the plinth, the bugiers have sounded the last post and the Bishop of Chelmsford is at this moment gesturing in the course of his address of dedication. Soon the band, stationed in Mr. Floyd's garden to the left of the picture, will play the National Anthem and the soldiers will march away, the townsfolk will drift away, and the families affected will continue to mourn their losses.

J)unmow. )'few Street and ehapel.

14. From the memorial the photographer walked up New Street and tumed around to take this view, with the Congregational Chapel on the righthand side, It was built by Cole Brothers in architect C. Pertwee's very decorative Romanesque style in 1869 when nonconformist religious enthusiasm was such that 955 seats were provided. It ean be seen that, at this time, around 1900, the pavements were unpaved and un-kerbed but the lantems on the walls of the houses show that the town was already lit by gas, supplied by the Dunmow Gas Company, under the chairmanship of Mr. W. De Vins Wade. New Street then was wholly residential, but people like Alfred King, the tailor, could work at horne, and Tom King, insurance agent, probably made his books on the living-room table. By 1910 Ambrose Smith had set up here as watch and doek maker and the Staines, mother and daughter, made boots and dresses respectively.

15. Dunmow drowses in the morning sun early in the year around 1910. On the lefthand side, the house on the corner of New Street continued down to recent times as the office of A. E. Floyd, solicitor. Next come the premises of Stacey's, florist and photographer, who had glasshouses at the back, down the alleyway, on the other side of which Mr. Stock and his son Frank had their blacksmith's shop. The pillared portico marks the entrance to the Hazels, now the Dunmow Club. On the righthand side in the foreground we see Dowsett's ncwsagent's shop, where the board below the window advertises that pareels for the carrier Boy ton and Turner can be left there, The gables of the old White Horse come next; the bracket sticks out from the wall, but the sign is missing. At this time William Ayton was the landlord.

.:" ... -:a ?..

16. Two men sitting in a wheelbarrow in the middle of Dunmow High Street would, today, be quite unbelievabie. Back in 1900 however, ît was just a pleasant prank in the noonday sun. On the lefthand side Mr. Floyd's house has a garden which has gone now, and its porch has been quite altered. Other houses on that side, for the most part, keep their outward appearance today. On the right, by the ancîent, much-pollarded lime tree, the sign of tbe Boar's Head can just be made out. Thomas Hams was landlord, succeeded by his son Alfred who was still there in 1910; and the Boars's Head today offers refreshment in surroundings much like those our great grandfathers enjoyed.

17. This is another postcard produced by Spalding's of Chelmsford, family photographers spanning three generations and all called Fred. They operated for nearly a century from before 1860. The long shadows indicate that late on a day at the turn of the century Fred, the second generation and most ubiquitous photographer, came walking down Dunmow High Street looking for a view. The water carrier had just finished filling his tank - the trough he used to lead the water across stillleans against the pump - and is probably glad to be finished with task of working the arm of that pump for such a long time. He would have eyed enviously the food and drink displayed in the window of William Adams, the provision dealer and wine and spirit merchant across the road. By 1906 Adams' son Richard Henry had taken over. Now the site is occupied by Fred. J. Staines shoe shop, the Anglia Building Society and Cook's the wine merchants.

18. We see the High Street from the northwest as photographed by Fred Spalding around 1905. The first shop on the left is Henry Knight's the watohmaker. On the right Mrs. Johnson and her son William offer all that is best in drapery and mil1inery, performing at the same time all the functions of the Post Office, including the halfpenny (one fifth of the present penny) stamp for this card. The curving bracket above the shop has lost the lamp which was still in use in 1902 as shown in other photographs. The darker stain in the gutter on the left shows where the wasted water has run from the pump; proof of its continued importance in the life of the town's main streel. The alleyway on the right is Angel Lane, leading still, today, to the Baptist church,

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek