Dunmow in old picture postcards

Dunmow in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Stan Jarvis
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3417-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dunmow in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. Arthur Archer is shown in 1910 County Directory as a cycle manufacturer and agent. His windows show clearly just how very many brands of English cycles and accessories he could offer. That he had been there some time is shown by the missing letters on the advertisements. He had purchased this property in the High Street before 1900; this photograph was taken a few years later but weil before 1930, when the firm was re-titled A. Archer and Sons. The car seen here was the first to be owned by a Dunmow resident, a Mr. Hodges. The shop as shown here is now Butcher and Son Electrical Ltd. Beside is the entrance to the town's car park. The wall of the Boar's Head on the other side just appears to the right.

20. One of the rare views taken by Henry Bradley, Dunmow's tailor and outfitter, who was a keen amateur photographer. This postcard, produced from a glass negative, is one of eight rescued from oblivion by Mr. L. Byford. On the lefthand side we just perceive Arthur Dennis's ironmongery, built in 1901 when some old cottages were demolished. Next to it a sign armounces the public telephone available in the Post Office there. During the last war it was taken over as a British restaurant. Later it became a secondhand shop run by Oxfam and after that a dress shop. Then comes Roper's the chemist and Lloyd's Bank, which only recently had been Snow's the confectionery and toy shop. The white house next to it is the White Horse, standing on the side of a house run as an 'outlier' of Tilty Abbey. Today it is an Indian restaurant.

21. The garden rollers at the pavernent's edge on the lefthand side have been put on view by Arthur Dennis, ironmonger, but the camera looks past bis shop to the bow window of Roper's pharrnacy, run at this time, about 1910, by Mr. J.H. Hole. Past the lamp-post on the left is the White Horse, just beyond that is Wood's the taylors, He started his business on Star Hill but by 1901 the directory shows him as 'Wood, Alfred William, tailor and breeches maker, High Street'. His business did not close until1958, and many older people reeall seeing the tailors in the window, sitting cross-legged, stitching away. On the righthand side Henry Bradley proudly stands in his shop entrance. He was owner, too, of the bootrnakers' next door, where we see the telegraph messenger-boy with his bicycle clips on, ready for urgent action.

SOt..E AGENT

.' JL.t: .f;f:.'iT

)( 'Boots & Shoes.

WITH Cç>,'4PL1MENTS

H. BRADLEY.

22. Henry Bradley was a man with a flair for business. He used his interest in photography, purely as an amateur, to produce this unusual postcard as an advertisement, in which his own portrait takes the central position. Surrounding it are his own photographs of, from the top and reading clock-wise, Doctor's Pond, the Congregational Church in New Street, the Town Hall, his own shops in the High Street and the parish church. It would seem that he took over the tailors, outfitters and boot and shoe manufacturers business from Charles Brand at the turn of the century, when Brand retired to Briek Kilns Farm. The business was carried on into recent times by Bradley's three daughters, one ofwhom, Miss M. Bradley, continued bis interest in photography, supplying the illustrations for Frederick Robus's 'Dunmow and its Charters', published in 1923.

23. Arthur Willett proudly, almost brashly, shows bis wares and his services around 1913. In 1937 he was still claiming to be, 'newsagent and wholesale distributor , stationer, musical instrument dealer, printing agent, tobacconist and umbrella maker', at 6, High Street. He and, or, his father started before the beginning of the century as a hairdresser in North Streel. That they were well-established in the town is shown by the advertisement in the Essex Weekly News of Friday, 4th September, 1908: 'NüW READY, set of 12 beautiful colored, glossy, platesunk Postcards of the district, ld. each. Set in Album, post free for Is. 2d. - A. Willett, High Street, Dunmow.' It is pleasing to note that the shop continues, almost unaltered, to serve the present needs of the townsfolk.

24. The condition of the road at the junction of High Street and the Market Place shows that traffic is still horsedrawn, though the draincover is evidence of modem improvement. From this fact and the knowledge that flagstones for the pavement were introduced just after 1899, it would be reasonable to date this photograph to around 1910. By then J.G. Line's shop, on the corner, had changed from a confectioner's in 1894, to a pork butcher's and peulterer's run by Mrs. Fanny Line. Past the lamp-post on the left is Roper's, chemist, then the Snow's fancy goods repository. The last shop visible on the left is Carter's the stationer, printer and bookseller, A poem about Dunmow, on paper watermarked 1839, includes: The printing press, if I [orget, Tis clear I shall be wrong, And Carter very likely say, He will not print the song, proving Carter's long establishment in the town.

25. On a summer's morning around 1909 we see, on the right, the butcher's and poulterer's, J.G. Line. 'The International Tea Co.'s Stores Limited, grocers and tea dealers' is entered in the 1910 directory of Essex. Between the two stands the unusual Town Hall, now in private hands. It is thought to have been built originally between 1560 and 1570 but it was enlarged and partly rebuilt in the nineteenth century. Dunmow was established as a Borough as early as 1555, confirmed by Queen Elizabeth in 1590, but it was too small to qualify as a borough under the act of 1885, so it lost that status, though it did become the headquarters of the Dunmow Rural District Council which was itself absorbed into the larger Uttlesford District Council in 1974. The old Town Hall shows striking differences in its outward appearance today, from the entrance to the oversailing of the upper storey and the treatment of the large window.

26. The Dunmow Town Band is striking up the National Anthem and the men in the crowd are just beginning to take off their hats. The townspeople have assembied to celebrate the diamond jubilee of Queen Victoria's reign on 20th June 1897. In 'Dunmow Through the Ages' Dorothy Dowsett writes: 'For Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee celebrations Dunmow looked gayer than anyone could remember having seen it on previous celebrations, even the golden jubilee. The decorations were profuse and artistic. If any house should be singled out for individual mention it would be that of Dr. Lyle. At middaythe MarketPlace was thronged with the inhabitants who had been asked to meet there to join in the singingofthe National Anthem ... Sports took place in the afternoon ... The rejoicings concluded with a monster torchlight procession and bonfire ... '

27. Charles H. Stokes has taken over Line's shop on the corner of the High Street and Market Place, next to the Town Hall, which can be seen on the left, Stokes' name cannot be seen, though enough of it can be divined with a magnifying glass, because the shop front is completely hidden by this very decorative stall to display some of the entries and the award-winners in the Dunmow Fatstock Show. The appearance of the telegraph pole to the left of the display and the two white insulators carrying the wires further left on the wall of the Town Hall puts the date of this postcard between 1905 and 1910. It was in 1905 that the Dunmow District Agriculture Competitions Association revived shows like this to encourage healthy competition and keep the old standards. Prizes were offered for the best thatching, stacking and hedging, and there were classes for all kinds of produce.

28. Fred Spalding (1858-1947), the well-known Chelmsford photographer , walked a little way up the Stortford Road, then turned and took this photograph to add to his extensive stock of postcards of Essex scenes. No telephone poles or wires obstruct the view, so it can be dated earlier than the previous view, probably around 1900. While Line's, the butchers, looks closed, Dennis the ironmonger has the usual display of wheelbarrows and water carts on the pavement. As to the Town Hall, the 1894 County DirectoryteIls us: 'The Town Hall, standing in the centre of the town, was built in 1578, repaired in 1760 and enlarged in 1837 and 1855, and in 1888 it was purchased by the principal inhabitants for the benefit of the town.'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek