Dunmow in old picture postcards

Dunmow in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Stan Jarvis
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3417-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dunmow in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. Now we proceed with those early photographers up the Stortford Raad. The interesting corner doorway to R. Gillham & Son, butchers, who bought the business about 1900, remains unaltered to this day. The butcher holds his knife in readiness, as if he were about to cut up the whole sheep hanging there. Next door, where the cheeky errand boy !eans against the shuttered window, is Arthur J. Barham, watchmaker and jeweller. The last house visible on the left is the Chequers Inn. It was trading under that sign at least as early as 1826 when William Smith was the landlord. Gillham's is now Metson and Down, travel and insurance agents, and they have taken over the whole f100r of the house. The next house has had a door and a set of steps removed; then Forge Cottages stand sadly empty. Above them a Chinese take-away, the Happy Garden, is now in business.

30. The horse has been dared to move while the photographer focusses his camera! It is a smart trap that the butcher's boy takes on his delivery round - even the horses hooves are polished. 'T. LUCKIN' appears on the shop front, but Mrs. Jane Luckin was already a widow by 1894 and was running the business herself. It is in Stortford Road and, happily, the interesting shop front continues practically unaltered and is still a butcher'sJ. G. Sweetland. A copy of this photograph is displayed in the window on the spotless slab, together with horse brasses awarded as prizes in the Dunmow Horse and Cart Parade prior to the Great War. It is more than likely that the horse and trap photographed was a successful entry.

31. At one time in its long history the Royal Dak, off the Stortford Raad, is said to have been called the Flitch of Bacon. By 1910, the likely date of this postcard, James Nelson was running it. He has been described as a 'regular quick-wit' who challenged the socialists, led by the Reverend Maxted, when they came to pre ach their creed in Market Square. Kemp, smart and sophisticated, stands at his gate. The polished brassplate on the porch proclaims 'J.N. Kemp wine and spirits merchant'. The windows sparkle in their c1eanliness. Beneath one is the rather unsusual notice announcing that the Encyclopaedia Britannica may be consulted within. The only incongruous note is struck by the election poster stuck on the chimney stack.

32. The Queen Victoria, off the Stortford Road at Threaders Green, a small hamlet, is a popular place today with the right atmosphere for the regular gathering of young farmers. This postcard is dated 27th August 1915, when the place was more an alehouse than an inn. I t would have served the carter and the waggoner, the farmer and his men with their pint of ale and bread and cheese when it first began as the front room of a cottage. On the sunny morning shown here the carter is taking his mid-morning break, having given his horse the nose-bag which contains its meal. The bicycles to be seen emphasise the scattered nature of the houses here and the distance from town; the young mother adjusting the pram canopy has to push the baby and the toddIer sitting on the end of the pram quite a distance to do her shopping.

33. Another view of the Queen Victoria shows two early tourists admiring the beer house and its setting around 1905. The lady on the left could be carrying one ofthe latest pocket-sized cameras. The 'Tap' indicates that the beer was brewed on the premises and could be drawn by tap straight from the large barrel or vat. The old cottage in the background still looks today as it does in this picture, having been recently re-thatched. The ornate signpost has been replaced, with wrought-iron scroll work carrying on the old tradition, but necessary modern alterations include the braad car park beside the restaurant extension, the council houses round the green across the road and the busy road itself - no place today for free-ranging chicken.

34. Here we reach the extent ofourjoumey through Dunmow and up the Stortford Road. By 1912, date ofthis postcard, the number of bars on the telegraph pole shows the rapid spread of the service and already modem houses have been built to take advantage of the situation up on the hili in clean air with wondertul views. In those days the railway was part of the view as trains puffed along the line just below the Queen Victoria; now road traffic thunders along the Dunmow bypass, using the line of the old railway.

35. With the photographer returning down the Stortford Road we see the Royal Oak on the right. The postcard was actually posted in 1915; more and more tourists are taking to their bicycles and so the enterprising landlord has added to rus sign 'Good accommodation for cyclists'. Down the road, beneath the trees, one of the new motor cars and a motor cycle shatter the drowsy silence of sunny Dunmow with the noise of their 'infernal' , internal combustion engines. The Three Tuns, closed these many years, is here still hanging out its sign. The beauty of its splendid old doorway can still be appreciated today. To the far right, from its own bracket beneath the Royal Oak's signboard there is suspended, just like the trade symbols ofmedieval times, one of the old stone jars in which the brewery supplied its ale.

~. -'~.-

36. Smoke from the chimney curls upward to show that the Three Tuns is still very much lived in, and the faded sign shows that the inn has been refreshing traveIlers through many years. It was closed even before the last war, though the bracket from which that old signboard swung is still in position. At one time there was a candle factory behind the inn, owned and run by the landlord, John George Mackenzie. He had led the Three Tuns to Alfred Low in the eighteen-nineties, while he, hirnself, acted as the tewn's assistant overseer and tax collector. In the first house shown on this postcard, produced about 1912, lived Walter Ketley, the loeal builder and plasterer, who named his four daughters Faith, Hope, Charity and Mercy. Beyond the houses, the chestnut trees, here in glorious bioom, stand on the site of the present Smith's Garage. Some of the trees on the right still exist in front of the present fire station.

37. A little further towards the town centre, at the beginning of the Stortford Road, we see on the left the chestnut trees which stilI burgeon in the grounds of The Chestnuts, a large house now acting as the registered offices of so many companies that it has more brass plates than any other building in Dunmow. At this time, around 1900, J. G. Lines, the butchers, straight ahead on the corner of High Street and Market Square, was still in business, though run by his widow, Fanny. She was in competition with R. GiIlham and Son, the butchers seen on the right ofthe photograph, next the alleyway called Taylor's Piece today. The shop front stands unaltered, but it is now Metson and Down, the travel and insurance agents.

38. Back in the High Street at the junction with Market Square Fred Spalding focussed his camera towards the Star Inn. He must have come here just after 1906, when F. Sewell and Company, general drapers, occupied the shop on the lefthand side. It is now Jeeves. The International Stores were at this time quite a newcomer, their first entry in the County Directory under Dunmow can be traeed to 1906 when they are shown as 'International Tea Co. 's Store Limited, grocers and tea dealers, Market Place' . Pannell's. immediately below them, under its four gables, has a big flagpole, a landmark down to recent times, but it differs from the next postcard in that the bold, gilt lettering has not yet been affixed across its fa├žade.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek