Dunmow in old picture postcards

Dunmow in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Stan Jarvis
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3417-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dunmow in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. After the last view we see the Town Hall in rather a dilapidated state. Plaster peeling from the walls exposes the lath-and-plaster construction beneath, proving original building in the sixteenth century. T.W. Pannell's. fruiterer and fishmonger, have, since the previous photograph was taken, erected a sign all across their facia which proudly points to their establishment in 1891; perhaps it was a reaction to the competition from, and the brass edging to the International Stores on which its name was proclaimed in large letters. A difference can also be detected in the street lamp attached to the wall of the Town Hall; since the previous postcard it appears to have been converted from gas to electricity . Below Pannell's is Savill's, a sadler and harnessmaker in Victorian times, owned by Frederick Savill. He handed it on to bis son Leubert G. Savill who was still there up to the Great War, the approximate date ofthis postcard. Now it is a wool shop.

40. This postcard was one of a series taken by Fred Spalding about 1910. With the heavy equipment required for photography in those days Mr. Spalding, who would have had to drive over from the Chelmsford shop in his horse and trap, would have taken as many views as possible in one day, to save further journeys. He stood down by the Star to take this scene, showing the side of Market Square known as Rood End, reference to the old market cross. On the far right is Luckin's the grocers, being run by Samuel at this time and still trading under that name today. Next to them is F. Lewîs, ironmongers and oil merchants who, new to the town, believed in the principle of shouting one's wares. They wrote 'Lewis for everything' all across their front and spread their goods out temptingly across the pavement.

41. Fred Spalding was standing with his back to this building when he took the photograph for the preceding postcard. It is the Star Inn, seen here on, or very close to 9th August 1902, the day of the coronation of King Edward VII. 'E.R.' is worked in coloured lights between the bedroom windows and they will blaze out dramatically at night. Flags, banners and a crown above the door are daytime decoration . Proof of the date is the poster on the right which advertises the Bishops Stortford Flower Show to be held on 13th August 1902. Over the door can be detected the name of the licencee, William Turner. He had taken over from James Jordan and by 1906 had himself been succeeded by Frank Springham.

c rs' Pond, ßunmow

42. Doctor's Pond, below the Star, looks very tranquil in this postcard, sent in August 1907. The pond was there long before Dr. Raynor became associated with it at the end of the eighteenth century. He took a great interest in it, even stocked it with fish. Our point of view is from the west end with the Downs behind us. Alexia Wilson, in her 'A Dunmow Diary', of 1951, rhymes amusingly: Take a glance at the pond.I The gossips declare! The waste from the beer/ Goes info the pond/ But that is all rubbish, 'tis surely the pond/ That makes us such tasty and beautiful beer. The reference is to the Dunmow Brewery, on the other side of the road, next to the King's Head. In this view the orchard and the wall have gone and two houses have taken their place.

43. On 22nd July 1930 a member of the Historical Association, at Dunmow for a meeting, sent this card off to a friend. The origin of the pond, seen here from the east end, has never been ascertained. Dorothy Dowsett has said: 'If one stops to think, with three hills and springs running down it was quite likely a natural pond. Alternatively it was dug out by man to save flooding, and this long before Dr. Raynor stocked it with fish.' The Directory of 1792 shows John Raynor as a surgeon and apothecary. The pond was used for a very practical purpose when Lionel Lukin, bom here in 1742, tried out the first self-righting lifeboat which he had invented in 1785.

44. Brook House, which stands in busy North Street, exactly opposite Rosemary Lane, was built in the fifteenth century. lts condition here shows later additions, such as the verandah, of Victorian origin, which with the wheel of fashion, have then been removed. The large-scale Ordnance Survey map of 1897 shows the brook after which it was named still running under the road some twenty-seven yards to the north. In the last decade of the nineteenth century Miss Wade resided at Brook House. By 1905 William Scarfe was living there, conveniently close to the British School of which he was master. The school was built in 1844 right beside Doctor's Pond.

45. Standing at the front gate of Brook House in 1904 we look, on the left hand, up North Street where the chimneys of the Dunmow and Crown breweries rise against the sky. In the centre of the picture two boys pose for the camera in front of a huge mound of gravel which has only just been dumped there for the purpose of making up Rosemary Lane, running up the hili on the right, which up to this date was hardly more than a muddy track. Downs House, on the corner between the two roads, looks very much the same today - perhaps even more shrouded in greenery. The fencing shown here along the verge of Rosemary Lane is not there today and the lamp-post, which here looks out of commission, has been removed altogether.

OUNMOW.-ROSEMARY ·J..;ANE

46. This is the upper part of Rosemary Lane, just before it joins the Stortford Road. Since it is properly surfaced it would appear to have been photographed shortly after 1906, the date of the previous postcard. The street lamps seem to be giving trouble; the one in the foreground does not look complete and up by the junction a man perched on a ladder is working on another one. It was in 1906 that the gas lamps were altered from the flare type to the incandescent type which used a 'mantle' to contain the flame. The gas company undertook to provide fifty-five such lamps and to light them from August to May for an annual sum of fl25. In earlier days Rosemary Lane was known as Windmill Street, but the date of, and reason for the change cannot now be ascertained.

47. The date on this postcard is 8th June 1905. It gives a intriguing view of Rosemary Lane, not sa much because of the free-ranging pig seen in the right foreground, but because of the groups of men further up the lane. They appear to be standing stiffly to attention, or pausing for the photographer in the process of marching. Four of the men look as though they are drummers. It could be a postcard left over from the celebrations of the coronation of Edward VII in August 1902. In the 1890's William Stacey was a nurseryman and photographer . His son Reginald concentrated on the photography side and established his shop in the High Street, where Stacey's is still serving the public as a high-class greengrocer. Today bath the wall and the hedge in the foreground of this photograph is no langer there.

48. The Downs occupies an area between Doctor's Pond and Buildings Farm across Rosemary Lane. When the visitor sent this card on 6th May 1909 the Downs were dreaming in warm sunshine; even the ducks are drowsy. From the Downs we are looking south over the roofs and gardens of the houses which !ie behind the Star Inn, between Star Hili and Star Lane. The chimneys of the Crown Brewery act as a landmark on the horizon. This view is from the north side of the Pond. The bungalow on the right was demolished and two houses now stand on the land covered by it and the adjoining orchard, but in general the roof lines are very similar today. It is quite evident to any Sunday morning visitor that feeding the ducks has retained its popularity through the generations.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek