Dunmow in old picture postcards

Dunmow in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Stan Jarvis
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3417-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dunmow in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. We are looking eastward across the Doctor's Pond from Rosemary Lane in 1930 or a little earlier. This is the area of greenery from the pond back to the other side of Rosemary Lane which is known locally as the Downs. The pond looks very peaceful, but there have been some high old times around it and in it. For example, many an entrant got a wetting when they tried to negotiate the greasy pole cantilevered out across it during the celebrations of Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee in 1897. Ten years earlier, to celebrate the golden jubilee, similar fun and games had been arranged for the children of the National School right beside the Pond. It is plain to see today that Doctor's Pond has a special place in the affections of the townspeople.

50. Long shadows from east to west and the sight of the milk cart on its way indicate that this is an early morning photograph. The churns are lodged at the front of the cart. The milkrnan, who in those days was often the same man who milked the cows on the local farm, used a dipper of regulation size to fill the housewife's own jug. We are viewing the Downs, still preserved as an open space, from the road leading to Buildings Farm. Doctor's Pond lies behind the trees in the background. This postcard, kept as a souvenir, was never sent, so there is no postmark to help us in the dating. From the look of the motorcycle and sidecar and from the registration number, F 6085, we can ascribe it to the early 1920's. The scene is much the same today, though the further house has had a gable inserted and its verandah altered.

51. We follow the photographer to the Causeway. The house in the foreground is known today as 'The Limes'. lts modern rendering hides sixteenth-century construction. As to the story of the house just beyond it, 'Clock House, we see from the church register that William Beaumont, of Clock House, younger brother of the late Vicar Thomas Beaumont', was buried in 1729. Thomas Beaumont was Vicar here from 1678 to 1710. In 1848 the house is shown in the directory as 'Clock House Diocesan School'. It is thought to have been built in the late sixteenth century, making it the oldest brick house in Dunmow. lts mullioned windows and its Dutch-style gables are original; even some of the glass is contemporary. The central, white-painted, timber turret houses a clock which is said to be a replica of that on Dover Castle. In the cupola above hangs a bell founded by Bryan Eldridge in 1651. Today it is a private house, not open to visitors.

52. The Harp, in the hands of John Bush, was dispensing ale to thirsty townsfolk at Church end long before its entry in the 1826 directory. A local survey of weights and measures in 1756 shows J ames Wilson as the licensed victualler . It is not certain just when the Harp, as it were, took up its Angel. Fred Spalding had taken this photograph by 1910 and reproduced it for sale around the county as one of his famous series of postcards. Today the pub's centrallantern has gone, but two smaller ones flank the door, and all the greenery has had to go in the interest of car parking. Another change is on the left of the postcard, where today a new house shows its blank side between the old house and the church tower.

53. It is nearly half past two on a sunny day around 1908. At the time the County Directory was telling people: 'The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a large and ancient building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles ... and an embattled west tower with angle turrets containing a clock and 6 bells ... ' Nikolaus Pevsner, the expert on old buildings, describes St. Mary's as: ' ... Pebble-rubble and externally all of a piece, although, alas, all very restored ... ' Perhaps it is to the credit of the parishioners of Dunmow that their church has been restored and kept in good order through more than five hundred years. At this time the Vicar was the Reverend John Evans. One local worshipper remembers: 'He came to us with very high recommendations, which were fully appreciated here. He was very popular with all classes.'

...?

,.....,

.. ...

~-----

54. The east window of St. Mary the Virgin is, according to the experts, 'unusually sumptuous'. It has five 'lights' , or areas of glass framed in stone. Here we see it as it looked around 1915. Because the people of Dunmow have kept their church in good order all down the years, postcards like this are almost impossible to date if they have not been through the post. This view shows the church in what might be termed its original state. In the church itself one can see a change in that one of the south aisle windows contains fragments of fifteenthcentury glass which have been re-assembled in a fascinating kaleidoscope of colour. The aisle windows have all been renewed. The south porch, visible at the extreme left, is notabie for its priest's room, of the late fifteenth century, which is extended into the church itself as a gallery.

ST. MARY'S CHURCH, DUNMOW

55. We have seen that Vicar Evans was highly thought of during his ten years incumbency from 1905. His portrait is inset on this postcard, dating it to about 1910. The medieval sedilia (seats for the priests) and the piscina (basin for washing the holy utensiIs of eomrnunion) were revealed in 1855 when women were seraping plaster from the walls. The present pews are the result of a thorough-going restoration in 1872-73 after the Reverend W.L. Seott had declared: 'The state of Dunmow church is a reproach to us ... The old and ugly pews still hold their place in the main part of the chureh and are becoming every day meaner and shabbier; the coarse briek pavement more wom and uneven ... ' The pews went, so did the galleries and the church took on the open aspect which allowed the arehitecture, particularly the grand tower areh, to be fully enjoyed.

Dunrnour,

56. A serene view of the Church of St. Mary the Virgin. A sad note is introduced by the view of the recent graves in the foreground, still covered with floral tributes. The bowler-hatted man, possibly the verger, has taken off his jacket and rolled up bis sleeves to help the sexton complete an interment. The tower is one of the finest features of the church, rising almost eighty feet to the very tip of the corner turrets. The peal of eight beIls is reckoned by campanologists to be one of the best in the county. Six of the beIls are dated to particular years in the seventeenth century, one is undated, and the other two were added in 1927. That would be about seven years after the production of this postcard.

57. We leave Church End, heading across the river up the Stebbing Road. A smiling young lady of fashion poses for Fred Spalding in the summer of 1900, standing on the bridge which was rebuiltand re-opened on 7th June 1882. The Reverend Langston Scott gives us an eyewitness acount of the event: 'The weather was brilliant and the whole place presented a real gala appearance ... Everyone was delighted to welcome Lord and Lady Brooke on this their first appearance among us since their marriage a year ago.' The band of the 2nd. Essex Rifle Volunteers played manfully, Lady Brooke, better known later as Countess Warwick, formally laid the last stone in the presence of some three thousand inhabitants.

58. Crouches Farm still gets a mention on the Ordnance Survey maps. It lies on the righthand side of the Stebbing Road after crossing the bridge at Church End seen in the previous postcard. Back in 1803 the valuation of the place was put at f74.10s.0d. with the farmer, Mr. J. Scruby, senior, having to pay yearly tithes of nearly nineteen pounds. In 1894 John William Barnard was the tenant, but by 1906 Percy Wallis is shown there as a private resident rather than as a farmer, and he was still there in 1910, the probable date of issue ofthis postcard. The barn is seen on the right, the house lies behind the trees above the horse and trap. Today the view is just as rural all round, though the older trees have been removed, the barn has been dismantled, and the old, lean-onme, five-barred gate has been replaced by the colder , more practical welded-metal kind.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek