Dutch ambulances (1945-1975)

Dutch ambulances (1945-1975)

Auteur
:   K.J.J. Waldeck, M.D., Ph.D.
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:  
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2043-2
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dutch ambulances (1945-1975)'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39 Ford Country Sedan (1964) of the private firm Th.van der Laan, Nieuwkoop, built by Visser Bros., Leeuwarden. Van der Laan bought this ambulance from the Municipal Health Service (GGD) of Rotterdam. This municipal service always ordered their ambulances at Akkermans in Oud Gastel. The lower side was dark grey, the top white. This picture has been taken in 1972 at the corner of the Rijnsburgerweg and the Wassenaarseweg in Leiden. In the background stands building number 5 (outpatient depart ment for internal diseases) of the University Hospitalof Leiden (AZL).

40 Left: Ford Customline Sedan (1964) oftheMunicipal Health Service (GGD) of Breda, built by Akkermans, Oud Gastel. These cars were real battle ships as the bottom was red and the top was white. The angular shape was one of the exterior characteristics of Akkermans. The interior was very sober. They were only suited for the transportation of the sick, despite the spacious cabin.

Right: Ford Custom Sedan (1964). Special ofthis ambulance was that the entrance on the right of the vehicle could be moved upwards so that patients in achair could be lifted in.

41 Left: OpelBlitz (1964) of the Municipal Health Service (GGD) afDelft, built by Miesen from Bann and delivered by NEDAM, Roermond. The original intention for this ambulance was to assist at large accidents on national highway 13 (The Hague- DelftRotterdam ). At that time it was a dual carriageway, separated by a hedge in the middle and na safety central reserve.

Right: Opel Blitz (1964).This Opel is referred to as the vehicle in case of big accidents and had room for four stretchers in a permanent formation. It still was na care unit, but more a 'piek up and go' ambulance.

42 Cadillac (1965) ofthe Municipal Health Service (GGD) of The Hague, built by Visser Bros., Leeuwarden. For the larger communities in the Netherlands it were wealthy years, in which they could afford to purchase the expensive Cadillacs. The Cadillacs provided a magnificent place to work in. The suspensions were superb. Up to three stretchers could be placed in the cabin. The ambulances at the service of The Hague were recognisable by the letters on the vehicles. This particular Cadillac had the letter Q and had the nickname 'the Golden Carriage' (de 'Gouden Koets', called for the carriage of Queen Beatrix at the opening of the governmental year). This Cadillac was the

langest running Cadillac as an ambulance until it was also replaced by a Mercedes-Benz.

43 Chevrolet Bel Air (1965) of the private ambulance service De Jong Bros. from Leiden, built by Visser Bros., Leeuwarden. One son of each of the founders, who were brothers, taak over this renowned company, which was situated on 164, Hogewoerd. Two other sans taak over the private ambulance service Ziekendienst Het Witte Kruis, The Hague. The company in Leiden also performed weddings and funerals. For these purposes they used original wedding and funeral horsedrawn carriages. All the ambulances were cleaned on Saturday. On that day also the stables were mucked out. The proof of this fact can be seen behind the ambulance on the picture.

44 Mercedes-Benz 190 (1965) ofthe private ambulance service Eigenbrood from lisse, built by Binz, lorch (West Germany) . This type with extended roof was called Europ 1100. Binz had already built a large number of ambulances on chassis of Mercedes-Benz passenger cars for as well the national as the international market. This type was the first that had been imported in the Netherlands. Next to the imported Mercedes-Benz ambulances from Binz and Miesen, also the Visser Bros. from leeuwarden designed and built ambulances on MercedesBenz chassis. The most striking feature is the Maltese Cross in the roof transparent,

which raises the suspicion that this ambulance had been imported from West Germany. The registration number dates from 1968. The Maltese Cross also indicates a first aid service. This picture had been

taken on the grounds of the University Hospitalofleiden (AZl) in 1973. Atthat time this ambulance was already eight years of age, which was not a surprise.

45 Volkswagen Minivan (1966) ofthe]ulianaHospital, Apeldoorn and imported by the Volkswagen-importer Pon, Amersfoort. This ambulance also has the Maltese Cross in the roof transparent. This Volkswagen dates from the time that the two side doors on the right were opened to bath sides. Later it would become only a sliding door on the right side. These ambulances were not very stabile on the road. In Delft a similar kind of ambulance had been launched when a student, driving a Harley-Davidson motor-cyde, did not gave way to the ambulance and drove onto its rear tire.

46 Left: Mercedes-Benz 230 Lang (1966) oftheMunicipal Health Service (GGD) of The Hague, built by Visser Bros., Leeuwarden. This type was the foundation ofthe preference for Mercedes-Benz ambulances by many ambulance services. Every male nurse had his own first aid kit, with bandages and first aid material and two small bottles. One battle contained ammonia, and the other brandy. The ammonia was used for patients who did not really fell faint;

they could not offer resistance to the ammonia. The brandy was used to recuperate the patient with a more serious faint. Same substitute male nurses from the University Hospital in Leiden had to fill the last battle more aften then their colleagues. Maybe it was because they were students!

Right: Mercedes-Benz 230 Lang (1966). Three patients could be put in on three stretchers. The equipment was still very concise. The lock of the stretchers was not always as safe as it should have been. One incident taak place when

driving to the Municipal Hospital, located at Zuidwal, in the famous Boekhorststraat in The Hague. The backdoor sprang open and the stretcher with patient was launched in the middle of the street!

47 Cadillac (1966) ofthe private ambulance service R.v.d.Beld & Zoon, Heerde. This ambulance was fitted up by Visser Bros., Leeuwarden. Van de Beld originally used this car for wedding purposes during the first two years before it was transformed into an ambulance. Ambulances with an extended Cadillac chassis served for many years at the larger community services. This ambulance on the other hand is built on a short, thus normal chassis. Probably this Cadillac was the only one of its kind in the N etherlands.

48 Mercedes-Benz 230 Binz Europ 1100 Lang (1967) of the Municipal Health Service (GGD) of Heerlen, built by Binz, Lorch (West Germany). A solid ambulance with two unusualAmerican, blue flashing lights from an aeroplane, which gave a bulk of light. The immense ambulance transparent had been put on by the GGD themselves. The spare wheel of this type of ambulance had been placed in a compartment above the right rear tyre.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek