Dymchurch and Burmarsh in old picture postcards

Dymchurch and Burmarsh in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Paul Harris
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6652-2
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dymchurch and Burmarsh in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19 A beach scene, probably 1920s judging by the ladies fashions. Note the little changing huts and tents. Also we ean see what appears to be three Martel-

10 Towers. Nearest is number 24, then used as a coastguard lookout and now open to the public in summer and run by English Heritage. Beyond this

is number 25, which now stands in a car park. These were rwin towers built to proteet the sluiee from enemy interferenee. This was once a Royal Observer

corps post and it was here that the fîrstVl was spotted crossing the dunnel in 1944.

20 Here by their kettlenets next to the sluice at MartelloTower number 25 are Joe Henley (nearest the net) and a friend. The picture was taken around 1935. Kettlenetting was practised particularly between the 1890s and the late 1 95 Os. This form of trapnet fishing was partienlarly popular around the Romney Marsh and Sus sex area. About the time this picture was taken there were four kettlenets in Dymchurch. The Henleys had two nets, one at the sluice as mentioned and one at Willop Basin. Fred Smith and Reg Woodland also had nets on Dymchurch beach. Two more

kettlenets were in use at St. Mary's Bay owned by a Mr. Body and Ninety Flisher.

21 Beats on a Dymchurch beach sornewhat different from taday. Today the seawall has been more

develaped and heightened and the beach much denuded. Climate change is bringing us more severe

storms and the wall is

of ten damaged or overwhelmed by the sea, as in October 1999. During

summer thaugh the scene is still happy and carefree. However, boats are no langer beached here.

22 A nice view of Dymehurch High Street in the early 1960s. Natice the two banks on the left, Bardays and Lloyds. Today

there are none. Also on the corner on the right can be seen Wraights Stores where today there is a café. lust above the banks and

estate agents you ean see the Coranation Clock installed in 1936. In 2000 another dock was put up on the opposite side of the

raad to mark the millennium.

23 Years aga in Dymchurch Guy Fawkes Day on 5th November was marked by parades and festivities

that went on all day and culminated in a firework display on land next to MartelloTower No. 25.

This was one such parade during the 195 Os. See the guy being pushed along by some boys. Also the

early AutomobileAssociation Matorcyde and sidecar.

24 A 1960s Guy Fawkes pageant behind the Ocean Inn. The theme was obviously the Wild West that year. One boy has a very

effective outfit reptesenting Leslie Charteris' Saint character; popular on relevision at the time. Iust behind the farthest left of the

seated girls the tall cowboy-hatred man is Don Chaffey, the producer of the Danger Man and The Prisoner television pro-

grammes. To the right is Vincent Ball, an actor who featured in the TV soap Crossroads and the film A Town Called Alice.

25 This bungalow on the corner of Orgarswick Avenue and Orgarswick Way was known as Sunny

Corner and was built for the Checksfield family in

1 936. The raad here was at that time a einder track

and was not properly tarmacked until the early 1960s.

26 Hardens shop. alocal grocers, greengrocers and general stores, between 1949 and 1958 run by Cyril and Norah Harden. They had an additional outlet on the Pipers Camping and Caravan site and operated the only van delivery service in the area.

TRY OUR SERVICE

27 The WE. Cooper outfitters and drapers on the corner of Orgarswick Avenue where the dry cleaners now is. Outside the

shop proudly stands Mrs. Maggie Cooper. Mr. Cooper starred selling drapery from a bicycle and Cooper's first premises are seen

earlier in this book. Business was transferred to this shop in 1934 and continued successfully, apart from a hiccup when the

shop was bombed in the Second World War and had to be rebuilt.

.COOPER. DRAPER.

28 A slightly later view of the same shop, probably late 1 95 Os. Bill and Maggie

Cooper continued to run the shop until they renred in 1960. On the right of

the shop, on the corner of Orgarswick Avenue, the shop had a very popular

hat stall that did very well with day trippers.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek