Dymchurch and Burmarsh in old picture postcards

Dymchurch and Burmarsh in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Paul Harris
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6652-2
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dymchurch and Burmarsh in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39 Looking from the parish church toward the main raad with the memorial in the foreground. On the opposite si de of

the raad is a post office that was run for a short time by a Captain Austin around the early to mid1920s. This picture is

thought to have been taken around 1924. To the Ie fr eau be seen another tea gardens.

40 A better view of the tea gardens and post office. Large parties were carered for here and it

proved particularly popular with the large number of visitors who camped in the field behind the nearby

Ship Inn. How quiet and free of traffic the main raad seems.

41 The old rectory, which is now a nursing home. The kitchen Garden se ems to be flourishing and the ivy on the building itself is

rampant! Ir is surprising how many aId pictures showextensive ivy growth on buildings, as if people were not sa aware of the

damage it was doing, or else thought the aesthetic value more important.

42 A hunt in Dymchurch, when such affairs did not attract the controversy they do today. This picture was

taken on the Hythe Raad and I am told may he of the East Kent Hunt from Elham, which used to

meet at the Ship Inn. The hunt last met here in 1980.

43 A view of eastern Dymchurch around 1 930. The field where all the cars and tents are is the Ship

Field, 110W occupied by modern hausing developments. The track across it links the Ship Inn, nearby

hall and main raad with the seafront. Ta the right of the field near the seawall ean just be seen the Ship

Inn vegetable gardens and slightly inland from here some private tennis courts.

44 Camping in the Ship Field in the late 1920s or 193 Os. In the distance to the left can be seen the Bowery Hall, constructed in 1926 and named after a locallandlord, Captain

wc. Bower. Slightly to the right bevond the conical tent is the Ship Inn, famous as the local of Russell Thorndike who wrote, and set some of his Dr. Syn stories in the pub. The Bow-

ery Hall was, and is, used for many village functions. One notabie well-known visitor was Honor Blackman, who was guest of honour at an Angling club do at the hall in 1965.

Miss Blackman is best remembered for her roles as Cathy Gale, in The Avengers and Pussy Galare in the Iames Bond film Goldfinger.

45 Here the Ship Field and Wraights Field are full of campers. The Ship Inn is on the extreme left. Of particular interest in this

picture is the Gypsy Caravan to be seen next te the hut at the front of the tents and caravans. Apparently this was hired out as cara-

van accommodation. This busy scene was captured sometime in the 1930s.

46 Another simtlar view ofWraights Field thought to be from the late 1930s. Although similar to the previous picture the detail makes it worth including. Allang the assortment of

tents, caravans and cars can be seen the Gypsy caravan to the right of the picture. Apparently up to 1000

cars could park on Wraights Field. They were usually charged one shil-

ling per day. In 1 987 Wraights Field was built upon, as new homes were constructed for the Wraight, Ritson, Welsh and Dewey families. Since then more construction

has taken place to the east of this, one of the new roads being named after the French town of Salbris, with which Dymchurch was recently twinned.

47 Another nice camping scene with plenty of

1930s cars visible. The Gypsy caravan is to be seen

in the background, and to the right is Barn House, the home of orchestral conductor Sterndale Ben-

nett. This view has been approximately dated to 1934/35.

48 An early 20th century view of Meadow Cottage. The building to the right of this attractive house was a workshop containing a joiners, who made ladders and coffins among other

things. On the ground floor the Wraight family had a blacksmith's business. Beyond this can be seen the haystack of Wraights farm. To the left of the workshop complex

the adjoining hut was a patritshop. Standing in front of Meadow Cottage in the field is Edwin Wraight, whose grandson Bob Geering vividly remembers this scene.

I am pleased to say that Meadow Cottage still stands unchanged today arnidst more modern housing developments.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek