Ealing and Acton in old picture postcards

Ealing and Acton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Pamela D. Edwards
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Greater London
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5658-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ealing and Acton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

7. Northfield Lane (now Northfield Avenue), West Ea!ing, looking southwards. The buildings have changed very !ittle since this photograph was taken in the early years of the 20th century - only the volume oftraffic has increased. On the extreme right in this view are the premises of Emest W. Clarke, oil and colourman, at the junction of Balfour Road, whilst G.A. Cawkell & Co, chemists, occupy the shop on the opposite corner.

8. This view of Lamrnas Park, Ealing, was taken in about 1905. East Lodge can be seen in the background, and the houses which back onto the Park are in Clovelly Road. The grass area in front of the Lodge is now laid out as tennis courts, and the monkey-puzzle tree in the foreground is now considerably taller.

9. This photograph of the original18th century Plough Inn, Little Ealing Lane, was taken in 1905, if not before, because the inn was rebuilt in that year. The patiently waiting horse stands at the entrance to the adjoining bowling green and pleasure ground. Cockerells Coal is advertised on the flank wall of Plough Cottages just beyond the inn. The construction of the first shops on the site of the pleasure ground between The Plough Inn and Julian Road in 1909 marked the demise of this delightful hamIet and heralded the development of Northfields as a modern suburb.

10. St. Mary's Church, St. Mary's Road, was erected in 1866 to a design by S.S. Teulon, replacing an earlier church on the same site. The buildings on the left in this view were demolished many years ago to make way for a parade of shops.

11. St. Mary's Road, looking northwards, with the turning for Ranelagh Road in the right foreground. The hanging sign, also on the right, advertises Joseph Bergold's 'haircutting and shampooing saloons', next to which are the premises of Thomas Teale, greengrocer, and George White, dairyman. The imposing building in the left middle ground with a flagpole in front was known as Old Grosvenor House and stood at the corner of Beaconsfield Road. It accommodated Ealing Liberal Club.

12. St. Mary's Road, looking south, with the entrance to Ealing's oldest and most famous school, Great Ealing School, seen on the right in this view. The school was founded in 1698 and originally occupied the Old Reetory . In 1846 it moved to an elegant mansion - appropriately called The Owlswhich was set in spacious grounds. The school closed in 1908, and Caim Avenue and Nicholas Gardens were subsequently developed on the site.

13. This smal! fountain was an instant attraction when Walpole Park, Ealing, was first opened to the public in 1901. The beautiful!y landscaped grounds had belonged to Pitshanger Manor House, a corner of which is just visible on the extreme right in this view. The last private owner was Spencer Walpole, the politician. His sister-in-law, Frederica Perceval (the daughter of Spencer Perceval, the early 19th century Prime Minister) was the last person to occupy the Manor House. Upon her death in 1900 the House and grounds were bought by the then Ealing Urban District Council.

.r~;~~~

.~"

. ;'

- Winton House.

Ealing.

14. Winton House School, 11 Mattock Lane, Ealing. This was one of the numerous private schools which were to be found in Ealing by the beginning of the 20th century. The house still stands, but the school has gone out of existence.

15. A general view of Mattock Lane, Ealing, in the late 1920s. The boundary fence of Walpole Park can be seen on the left.

Jfze Speen ยง- Jeig!z Street, 6afing.

16. High Street, Ealing, at the dawn of the 20th century, when pedestrians could safely stroll in the road. The first shop on the left in this view belongs to Charles Pitt, carver, gilder and picture restorer, next to which are the premises of Frank P. Alston, hosier. Ealing Green is on the right.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek