Ealing and Acton in old picture postcards

Ealing and Acton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Pamela D. Edwards
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Greater London
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5658-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ealing and Acton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

clfaoen 8reen ~ JJapfisi Onapel, Ca/ing.

27. Haven Green, Ealing, looking towards Castiebar Road. The Baptist Church in the background was erected in 1888.

Ealing

Kauen Green

~Iilli~x". Sta.tioner-. Hieb Stro Ealinz

28. Haven Green, Ealing, and the Baptist Church viewed from a slightly different angle. The houses in the background disappeared during the inter-war years to make way for flats.

SJ Casilebar aoad, 6aling.

7081 fbe "Vyndbam" Seres.

29. A view of Castlebar Road, Ealing, taken from Carlton Road. Haven Green Baptist Church can be seen in the background.

16562 ST. ANDREWS CHURCH.

EALING.

30. A view of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Ealing. Erected in 1887, it stands at the junction of Mount Park Road (seen on the left in this view) and Aston Road.

31. Ealing Catholic School was founded by Father Sebastian Cave of Downside in 1902. The school moved to Orchard Dene, formerly a private residence set in spacious grounds in Montpelier Raad (viewed in this photograph) in 1906. The school changed its name to Ealing Priory School in 1916. In 1924 land was acquired in Eaton Rise for its expansion, and it later became known as St. Benediet's School. Orchard Dene (minus its chimneys) is now incorporated in the present St. Benediet's School complex.

32. Brentham Institute, which stands in Meadvale Road, on the Brentham Garden Estate, Ealing, was opened by the Duke and Duchess of Connaught in 1911, its purpose being to provide educational, recreational and entertainment facilities for the 650 households on the Estate. The Estate was developed by Ealing Tenants Ltd., a housing co-operative initiated by Henry Vivian, a trade unionist and M.P., whose aim was to provide pleasant housing for ordinary working people. The houses were designed by F. Cavendish Pearson and G. Lister Sutcliffe.

"UO.15"'CD SV No. IJ

EAU Ne RESERVOIR ANO PERIVALE VIEw.

eALINC. W. COPYRICHT

33. Ealing Reservoir, otherwise known as Fox's Reservoir, is just to the south of Hillcrest Road, Hanger Hill, Ealing, and now belongs to Thames Water Authority. It was opened by Edwin G. Fox, Chairman of the Grand Junction Waterworks Company, in 1888. It commanded an excellent view over the surrounding countryside, as can be seen from this photograph which shows Alperton and Perivale in the background. The rural charm that this scene presents began to disappear by the early 1930s with the cutting through ofthe Western Avenue (A40) and the ensuing development of individual factories, industrial estates and large housing estates.

34. Hanger Hill, Ealing, in 1910. A wayside seat affords a welcome rest after the climb and provides an opportunity to contemplate the miracle or monster (according to one's taste) of the motoring age.

35. A view of the western side of Ealing Common, with Uxbridge Road and the houses along North Common Road in the background.

36. Ealing Common, looking westwards. Uxbridge Road is on the left in this view. The houses to the left in the background front onto a road called The Common. Houses fronting onto North Common Road are just visible between the trees on the right.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek