Ealing and Acton in old picture postcards

Ealing and Acton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Pamela D. Edwards
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Greater London
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5658-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ealing and Acton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Galing Oommon ~ Sf. cJ({affhew' s Church.

5773 The "Wvndham" Series.

37. This view shows a section of Ealing Common looking northwards, with a tram passing along Uxbridge Road. St. Matthew's Church, in the background, was erected in 1883/84 to a design by Alfred Jowers.

38. This view shows the original Ealing Common Station building, Uxbridge Road. It was opened on the 1st July 1879 and was an intermediate station on the District line's new extension from Turnham Green to Ealing Broadway. It was known as Ealing Common & West Acton Station until the 1st March 1910, when it was given its present name. To the right of the station can be seen the premises of Kemp & Co, estate agents, next to which are Grantham & Bryant, grocers, and Thos. Fraser, nurseryman.

from uo NSON"'S, Ltd., Twyfor Bridge farm, TWYFORD ABBEY, EAUNG, W.

39. Although this is a commercial postcard to advertise Johnson's fine mushrooms on view in this photograph, it provides a rare glimpse of Twyford Bridge Farm in the early years of the 20th century. West Twyford was a smalI, self-contained hamIet consisting of a manor house, a church, a farm and a couple of cottages. A 19th century Lord of the Manor rebuilt the house in Gothic style with battlements and changed its name to Twyford Abbey. By a strange coincidence, the West Twyford estate was bought by the Alexian Brothers in 1902 and the Abbey was adapted by them for use as a nursing home. Over the years much of the land comprised in the estate, including Twyford Bridge Farm, has been sold off for industrial and housing development; but the Abbey remains and is still in the ownership of the Brothers.

40. Twyford Avenue, formerly known as Green Lane, was part of a delightful, tree-lined, ancient track which linked West Twyford to the Uxbridge Road, West Acton. The route of the track was a fairly direct north to south one, save for a slight easterly swing at Masons Green.

41. This view shows the southern end of Twyford Avenue, West Acton, soon after it was laid out as a residential street in 1901.

42. Haberdashers' Aske's Acton Girls' School, Creffield Road, West Acton. The school was founded in 1690 under the will of Robert Aske, a wealthy Yorkshire haberdasher , who left instructions for the erection of a hospital for the accommodation of twenty elderly gentlemen and for the education of twenty sons of the Company's freemen. The original building was established at Hoxton in 1695, and the first pupils arrived in 1697. During the last quarter of the 19th century, plans were laid for the school to decentralise to various districts. The site at Acton was chosen for a girls' school, and its first pupils were accommodated in temporary premises in 1898 until the erection of the fine building in this view in 1901. The building suffered severe bomb damage in 1940, but was subsequently restored and enlarged. Haberdashers' moved to EIstree in 1974, and the Acton building, now much extended, accommodates a J apanese school.

43. Rosemont Road, Acton, looking north-westwards. Development of this and the adjoining roads on the Springfield Park estate started in the 1880s and contains some of Acton's most superior housing. The estate takes its name from Springfield Farm which was sold in 1877 by the last owners, the Antrobus family, for development. The houses on the left in this view have long since vanished, having been replaced by semi-detached houses fronting onto Rosemont Road. The land bounded by posts on the right is part of Springfield Gardens.

44. Fremington House, which stands at the junction ofPierrepoint and Creswick Roads, Acton. This is a fine example of one of the larger, more individual villas on the Springfield Park estate, seen here in 1909, if not earlier. The house has now been renamed Peace Haven and is owned by the International Friendship League.

45. The Steyne, Acton, was an area to the south of Springfield and to the west of Horn Lane and was the site of Actorr's first industry. Steyne Mills date back at least to the mid-18th century and accommodated a scouring and dyeing works until1870, when they were converted for use as a steam laundry. As business expanded, The Steyne became filled with cottages and small dwellings for the workers, save for the green in the foreground of this view. By the 1930s the area was run down, and Iimited redevelopment took place. Demolition on a much grander scale was carried out in the 1960s and early 1970s. Rufford Tower and Moreton Tower flats were erected in 1968.

46. This is another view of The Steyne, with the steam laundry's chimneys visible in the background. On the right is The Duke of York public house, which stands at the junction of Steyne Raad and Horn Lane.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek