Ealing and Acton in old picture postcards

Ealing and Acton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Pamela D. Edwards
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Greater London
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5658-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ealing and Acton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

47. Horn Lane, Acton, looking northwards. Apsley Terraee ean be seen in the distance on the left. Until the start of housing development in the 1870s, Horn Lane was narrow, winding and tree-lined, with some of Acren's best known old houses set wel! back from the road in spacious grounds. A few surviving trees are still visible in this view.

48. This view provides a closer look at Apsley Terrace. In the middle ground can be seen the turning for Shalimar Gardens on the left and the turning for Acacia Gardens on the right. Shalimar Gardens is built on the site of a large house called Shalimar which was laid out in extensive grounds.

ACTO:", A QUAI:"T COR.''ER.

49. Mr. Taylor's Forge stood on the west side of East Acton Lane, East Acton, just to the north of Shaa Road. In the background can be seen the spire of St. Dunstan's Church which was erected in 1879 to a design by R. Hesketh and was dedicated to the patron saint of the Goldsmiths' Company. On the right in this view, just above the trap, is a hoarding advertising the adjoining tea garden and pleasure ground.

EAST ACTON VILLAGE.

??

50. A view of East Acton village seen from East Acton Lane. Part ofthe Forge can again be seen on the left, beyond which is The Horse & Groom public house. Both these buildings fell victim to redevelopment during the early years of the 20th century. The detached building in the background is the village store and Post Office which survived until1964. On the extreme right a gable of East Acton National School (now East Acton First School) is just visible behind the trees.

51. East Acton National School was erected in 1870 on land given by the Goldsmiths' Company. The school house is on the left. The neo-Gothic section of the building has undergone considerable alteration since this photograph was taken.

52. This view shows the eastern section of East Acton Lane. On the left is The Goldsmiths' Arms public house. This building dates back to 1829. Next door are the village store and Post Office.

53. By 1910, The Goldsmiths' Arms had been entirely rebuilt, and the new building can be seen on the left in this view. The viHage store and Post Office are again visible between the trees.

54. Churchfield Road East, Acton, looking westwards. Acton Park is on the left in this view. On the right can be seen the side elevation of the Goldsmiths' Almshouses which is in classical style. On the skyline, beneath the spreading branches of the large tree, the tower of St. Mary's Church is visible.

"'rk.

55. The Goldsmiths' Almshouses, viewed from Acton Park. This delightful group of houses, in its tranquil setting, was erected in 1811 and remains one of Acton's best preserved and best loved features. The Park was opened to the public in 1888. The obelisk on the left commemorates the Jacobite rebel, J ames Radcliffe, Earl of Derwentwater, who was beheaded in 1716. It had originally stood in the grounds of Acton House, having been erected by the Earl's widow, who was living there at the time.

56. This is another view of Acton Park, taken in about 1905, with the obelisk and the Goldsrniths' Almshouses just visible in the background. The single-storey building on the left is the refreshment pavilion.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek