Ealing and Acton in old picture postcards

Ealing and Acton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Pamela D. Edwards
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Greater London
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5658-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ealing and Acton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

57. This photograph presents another aspect of the rustic charm of Acton Park and of the uninterrupted view over the surrounding countryside.

lWv4. eONGREGATIONA CA Re ?

~.CTO .---,

58. Acton Congregational Church, at the junction of Churchfield Road West and Spencer Road.

."iftc on.

59. The Parish Church of St. Mary, Acton, viewed from King Street, The body of the present building dates back to 1865 and was designed by H. Francis. The tower was rebuilt in 1876.

Párïsh Cfiurch &: Bank 1$1dgs., Acton.

60. This view of St. Mary's was taken from High Street. The prominent structure on the right is Bank Buildings which were occupied by London & South Western Bank Limited when this photograph was taken. Although the building has survived, it no longer sports its fine collection of chimney pots.

..... et, Acton.

61. High Street, Acton, looking westwards. St. Mary's Church tower can be seen above the rooflines in the centre of the picture. The large building to the right of the church tower is Beauchamp's Acton Market. On the extreme right is 18th century Suffolk House with the gated entrance. It was at one time occupied by members ofthe actor Garrick's family. In 1921, 'progress' decreed that this elegant building should be obscured from public view, and a cinema and shops were built in front. By the mid-1960s, however, the entire site was cleared to make way for a shopping precinct.

62. High Street, Acton, looking eastwards. There has been remarkably little change to the buildings since this photograph was taken in the early years of the 20th century, although their condition has deteriorated. The bridge in the background carried the North & South Western Junction Railway from Broad Street to Richmond and provided good advertising space for the merits ofthe line: 'Direct trains to City. City and back, 8d. Season ticket rate, 5d per day.' The shop on the extreme right in this view belongs to Walter Minns, furniture dealer, adjoining which were George Johnson, confectioner; K. & M. Lee, drapers; J. Lovibond & Sons Ltd., wine, spirit & beer merchants, and Frank Drury, furniture dealer. The corner shop with the large sign belongs to T.W. Witham. removal contractor and warehouseman.

~cfon :FrIs Eióra1'1/. ~~ Á

63. Erected in 1900 to a design by M.B. Adams, the Passmore Edwards Library at the junction of Winchester Street (on the left in this view) and High Street, Acton, is seen here in its original splendour, complete with an elegant art nouveau boundary railing. The Winchester Street elevation has since undergone substantial alteration, and the low boundary wal! and railing have been removed.

64. The south side of Acton High Street, looking westwards. The London and County Bank stands at the junction of Berrymead Gardens and High Street, next to which is the Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady of Lourdes which was erected in 1899 to a design by E. Goldie. The building between the church and Oldham's Terrace comprises two shops: Kingtee Ltd., coffee merchants, and Alfred Louis, tailor. These have been replaced by a more modern building which incorporates National Westminster Bank plc, The prominent corner building in the distance is The Elephant & Castle public house. It has since been refurbished and re-named Clare Inn.

Jeiaf: Streef. de/on.

5795 Tbe "Wyndham' Series

65. High Street, Acton, lookingwestwards. The building on the left with the hanging sign is the original Six Bells public house. The archway beneath the sign formed the entrance to the Cock and Crown Yard, an area of such insalubrity that it was razed to the ground in 1910 to make way for Crown Street. At the same time, The Six BeIls was rebuilt. On the right, at the junction with King Street, can be seen The King's Head public house which had been rebuilt in 1894, beyond which is the Fire Station with its unusual watch-tower. It was erected in 1899. The building happily survives and has been converted for use as a senior citizens' soda! club.

66. The building on the left in this view at the junction of Steyne Road and Acton High Street was built for the Local Board (the forerunner of Acton Urban District Council) in 1870. It was in use as Council Offices until191O, when a new Town Hall was opened in Winchester Street. Thereafter, the original building was let to private firms until it was finally demolished in the 1930s. The three shops with lowered blinds belong to Albert Dancaster , the proprietor of a 'bicycle and tricycle depot'; A. T. Overall, saddler, and Mrs. M. Murray who ran a dining room. These and the adjoining shops up as far as the Fire Station have all disappeared, and Safeways' car park now occupies the site.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek