Ealing and Acton in old picture postcards

Ealing and Acton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Pamela D. Edwards
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Greater London
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5658-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ealing and Acton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

67. This further photograph ofthe old Council Offices was taken in 1916, as is evidenced by the more modern form of transport passing along Acton High Street. The two No. 17 buses in this view were both bound for Ealing. The former Council Offices were by this time let to Walter Moore & Co, and the firm's name is displayed on the metal sign attached to the chimney and gable. The parade of shops visible on the south side of High Street is Acton's most architecturally stylish, and fortunately survives. William Perring's furniture store is on the extreme right. The windows in the fire station's watch-tower in the background have been filled in.

..

.. '-r- .

r

fleton.

J{iqh Stree:

68. Acton High Street, looking eastwards, with the old Council Offices in the background. On the immediate left is Mr. Skinner's dairy which stands at the corner of Chatsworth Gardens. The adjoining shops belong to Louis Lutz, hairdresser, who advertises: 'haircutting, 5d; shaving, 2d', and Kensal & Co, tobacconists. Although these buildings have survived to the present, they are unoccupied and are in a poor state of repair. Just beyond is The White Hart public house. This has now been entirely rebuilt and extended and is currently known as The Gin Palace.

69. Above: The Woodlands, Acton, provided an attractive setting in which to relax for those who lived in cramped and overcrowded housing conditions. Originally the grounds of a Victorian house of that name, The Woodlands became a public park in 1903. In the background can be seen Acton Hill Methodist Church which was erected in 1907 to a design by Gordon & Gordon.

Below: This view, which was taken from The Woodlands looking northwards, shows the interesting juxtaposition of Acton High Street's rooflines with St. Mary's Church tower rising proudly aloft in the early years of the 20th century.

~cfön from c:7Ylill Jfili e«

3;23 The "Wyndha.m" Series

70. This photograph, which was taken from a more distant point in Mill Hill Road, Acton, provides a similar view of the High Street and its rooflines.

71. Priory Schools, on the east side of Acton Lane, were built in 1882 and were enJarged in 1897. They are now in use as a community centre.

Cottage Hospital, Acton.

72. The Passmore Edwards Acton Jubilee Cottage Hospital was opened in 1898 on the western side of Gunnersbury Lane, Acton, upon land given for the purpose by Lord Rothschild who Iived at Gunnersbury. Initially the Hospital had 12 beds but, with the aid of voluntary gifts and subscriptions, the building was enlarged and could accommodate 30 in-patients by 1909.

c7Ja1'ons 3>oná, dlcfon.

73. This tranquil view of Barons Pond was taken from outside the main entrance gates to Gunnersbury Park in Popes Lane, looking northwards. The pond derives its name from one ofthe owners of Gunnersbury Park, Lionel Rothschild, who was a Baron of the Austrian Empire. The road on the right in this view was part of the original Gunnersbury Lane and provided a direct carriage route trom Uxbridge Road, Ealing Common. The section of road seen here was widened in the 1930s and was renamed Gunnersbury Drive. Popes Lane has likewise been widened, and an iron fence has been placed round the pond. The house on the right survives, albeit incongruously, among housing ofthe 1930s.

74. Above: All Saints' Church, South Acton, was erected in 1872 to a design by J. Kelly. It occupied a site in Bollo Bridge Road between Strafford Road and Brouncker Road. Acton Recreation Ground can be seen in the foreground of this view, with a drinking fountain on the left. The church lost its spire as a result of damage by enemy action in the Second World War. The entire building was demolished in more recent years to make way for Sunninghill Court.

Below: All Saints' Parish Hall, South Acton, stood on the southern side of Bollo Bridge Road. The pedestrian way in this view is Church Path, to the right of which is the eastern boundary of the Recreation Ground. The modern All Saints' Church Centre now occupies the site of the Parish Hall.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek