Eastbourne in old picture postcards

Eastbourne in old picture postcards

:   Tony Wales
:   Sussex, East
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-2641-0
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Eastbourne in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19 Terminus Raad circa 1914. This widely used raad was ance merely a faatpath acrass open fields, until the railway station was built in 1849, and the raad became ane of the busiest thoraughfares in the town. This picture surprises by its lack of wheeled traffic, althaugh sameane has left a bicyde prapped nanchalantly against a useful tree. Same of the yaung ladies are wearing straw 'boaters " sa popular at this peri ad. Pickfords and Havis bread are twa familiar names still with us taday, althaugh almost everything else has

changed. The raad is naw partly dedicated to pedestrians and buses

Terminus Rond Eastbourne,

20 Mead's Raad circa 1912. The Mead's area at the western end of the town was to quote an

1861 guidebook:'Asmall cluster of cottages and cornfields. About a quarter of a mile beyond Southbourne.' Then in the 187 Os architect Henry Currey planned tree-lined streets of substantial Victorian style town hauses, with severallarge villas.

Since then it has been known as "The Belgravia' of Eastbourne, celebrated for its pleasant character and picturesque buildings. Ta quote a 1930s guide baak: 'In this locality are same of the best of the high class schools which are sa

prominent a feature of Eastbourne.'

21 Paradise Drive circa 1906. Sometimes known merely as Paradise, this wonderfully named feature of the town received its title after Lady Betty

Camp ton planted her Paradise Plantation in the grounds of Camp ton Place. At the same time she also erected a flint built edifice known as Ladies Bower. This is of particular interest in that it has a rare example ofknapped and squared flints for wall facing. There is another example of this flint work in the wall at the entrance to Camp ton



22 Compton Place circa 1907. It was built by Iames Burton in the sixteenth century and enlarged in 1730. Until1845 itwas a manor house (Ba urne Place), and became the seat of the Duke of Devonshire. Royalty aften stayed here, and it was a favourite spot with King George VI and his queen. She is said to have sa loved the soft pink and cream of the stonework, that she had the royallodge at Windsor painted in similar colours. When members of the royal family visited the house, the fine chapel was in daily use.

Ir is now the Towner Art Gallery and Museum, still with its beautiful gardens.

The Towner was in fact the Manor Hause in Borough Lane wich was formerly owned by the Davies Gilbert family.

23 Victoria Place circa 1909. The message on the postcard says: 'I am just going for a bathe. Have already used dress.Am having a splendid time. Weather is perfect.' In the picture are the Royal Victoria

Baths, which were at the corner of Victoria Place and Grand Parade, so presumably this is wh ere the writer of the card was heading. This establishment was supplied with water from the sea at every tide, and the price for the experience was one shilling for cold water, one and sixpence for hot, and three shillings for the addition of ozone. Note what appears ra be a weighing machine at the entrance to the baths.

An advertisement which appeared in an 1877 Guide said: 'These baths are replete with every requisite; they have dressing rooms attached; and are conducted under the Principal's own superintendence;

with Royal porcelain; fitted with all the most modern and approved appliances their construction securing strict privacy and cleanliness. NB - Families supplied with Sea Water. Hip and other Baths on hire.'

Ilicforla Place. Eastbourne.

24 The attractively named Seaside Raad circa 1908. The writer ofthe card evidently fancied hirnself as a humorist, as he wrote: 'It is called Seaside Raad because if you look you will see a puddle, and that is wh ere people bathe.'

The busy picture shows one of the many post offices in Eastbourne at that time. The last postal collection was around 11. p.m., and the main post office remained open each day from 7 a m. ra 10 p.m. It was of course possible to send a postcard ra a friend in the morning, saying that you would be calling on them later the same day. Everyone in the picture

seems to be very busy even the dogs - although the absence of wheeled traffic is noticeable.


Tb Wreocb!let! NO. D7ell

25 'Ye Olde Lambe Hotel' in the old town. The picture is from the mid-twentieth century, although the photo has a timeless quality. (It has even been described as the oldest inn in Sussex.) This was originally a church property, used as a resting place for travelling friars, and then pilgrims, who were bound for the shrine of St. Richard. At the Reformation it was converted to an inn, later becoming a stopping place for the London coaches. Many lavish balls, lectures and local events were held here, and under the inn is an interesting vaulted chamber. In 1858 the Sussex historian Mark

Antony Lower wrote that it was probably one of the oldest places of entertainment in the country. Whilst on the subject of entertainment and drink, this is a good place to

mention an old Eastbourne custom known as 'Sops and Ale'. After a lady was delivered of a child, food and beer were placed in a room close to the church. After the end of the second les-

son, the agricultural portion of the congregation marched out of the church and made short work of the fare provided.

26 DormitoryofSt.Winifred's School in the early 1900s. Education was on ce described as Eastbourne's chief industry. Certainly there were many fine schools, most with large playing fields, particularly during the inter-war years. In 19 1 9 it was stated that there were fifty schools for boys and almast as many for girls in the town, with perhaps as many as 2,000 boarders. A typical advertisement of the period spake of 'staff ofhighly qualified and cultured English and foreign mistresses, and visiting professors'. Extra care was promised for girls from India and the colonies. An exception was

the school run byThomas Hopley in the town in the 185 Os. The head, although a man of several talents, was known for his belief in physical punishment of a severe kind. In 1860 he sa

badly beat a fifteen-yearold boy in his care that the boy later died. Hopley was charged with manslaughter, and sentenced ra four years in prison.

27 Water plane at Eastbourne 1900-1920. During this period the town played an interesting part in the development of aviation. The company 'Eastbourne Aviation' was founded by Frederick Bernard Fowler, with a flying school, opened in 1911 , and by 1 9 12 a sea plane base. The company later made over 200 Avro fighter aircraft during the First World War. A magazine published in Eastbourne in 1914 titled 'The Visitor' (price one penny) offered a raffle with a prize of a free plane flight over Eastbourne pier. (Unfortunately the war brought an end to these flights.)

28 Great gale on l st Ianuary 1877. Hundreds watched in amazement as the pier, which had been open for only five years, broke in the centre, with a large part disappearing beneath the waves. People hung on for dear life and were pulled to safety with difficulty. The pier lay on the sands a sorry sight and Marine Parade was described as a 'scene of desolation', with the fishermen's huts all destroyed.

A man nearly lost his life dashing into the sea to save a piece oflead pipe, and others had to risk their lives to save hirn. Similar scenes taak place all along the coast, with postcard

manufacturers doing a brisk trade, commemorating the scenes with suitable views produced at very short notice.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek