Eastbourne in old picture postcards

Eastbourne in old picture postcards

:   Tony Wales
:   Sussex, East
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-2641-0
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Eastbourne in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29 Snow storm 19ü8.The effects of this lasted from 28th December to midJanuary. Business in Eastbourne ground to a halt and one man was driven to drink his troubles away, and laid down in the snow; having to be removed to police cells. There was a great change in the middle of Ianuary when the thaw set in with a vengeance, and the problem then became toa much water.

30 The 2nd Royal Sus sex Regiment Memorial Cavendish Place. As the picture shows, this was unveiled in February 1906, with a great crowd of townsfolk watching. During the period at the start of the twentieth century, such memorials became very popular, and this was a fine example. The county has always been very proud of its regiment, and in particular the Regimental March 'Sussex by the Sea' (written by Mr. WWardHiggs), and first played in a concert in 1908.

31 TheTea House, Devonshire Park, circa 1930s. This was the Indian Pavilion, opened in 1875, a year after the park had been opened to the public 'for high dass recreation'. Admission to the park and its twelve acres was sixpence in the afternaons and one shilling in the evenings. One of the attractions in the Tea House was Madame de Lacey with her Scientific Hand Reading. She advertised: 'Advice given on vocations and life's problems.' During the thirties there were many concerts in the park, and the very popular "Thés dansants' thrice weekly. The Theatre was opened in

1884, and featured 'the best touring companies ' , and the municipal orchestra. Other events induded firework displays, which in 1899 induded a representation of a hive with the

be es flying in and out, and a family of elephants, which were apparently made to walk. However, a newspaper reported that the beauty of the set pieces was hidden to a large ex-

tent by the masses of smoke, which the wind would persist in blowing towards the spectators.

32 This is a postcard from the early part of the twentieth century, a little daring for Eastbourne, but obviously much to the taste of the sender. Almast certainly the same picture would have been used for several seaside resorts, with the name being altered on the signpost as required. The very well dressed couple show us how our grandparents went about their courting.

33 The tea garden at Holywell Retreat circa

192 9. 'Holywell' probably stood for 'Hollow' in Sussex dialect, rather than 'Holy'. This was a chalk pit laid out as a garden in 1905, the cost being a

me re f:400. In 1922 it was further enhanced, and became Holywell Italian Gardens.

In the earlier period when it was achalk quarry, a large number of the male population of Eastbourne would have been employed here, with 3,000 loads a year being shipped to places such as Hastings and Rye.

34 Proclamation of the accession of King George V at Eastbourne 1910 (although the postcard still bears an Edward Vll stamp). Before the advent of radio and TV, news of national as well as local importance would have been announced in this way, more aften than not on the steps of the Town Hall. Those who were not present would then carry the information to their friends and neighbours.

35 Ward in All Saints' Hospital about 19 0 7 . This well loved convalescent hospital took its name fromAll Saints' Church, in Cavendish Square, London, and the organization "The Sisters of the Community of All Saints' was responsible for its upkeep, with the support of voluntary contributions. Included in the hospital buildings was the beautiful chapel in Gothic style, which cost

r.r 9,000 ra construct.

36 Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin. The picture is from about 1906 and also shows the local Bobby. The church is believed to be on the site of a Saxon church, which was dedicated to St. Michael. An old tithe barn stood to the north of the church until early in the twentieth century. In 1638 Richard Vernon - vicar of Eastbourne for flfty years - was buried here at the age of 84. He had married twice, and his will asked that he be buried 'as near to my laving wives as may be'.

& 1&7

37 Ihe Town Hall as shown on a circa 1900 print. This is on the site of the original parish stocks, and after two years of building, it was officially opened on 20th December 1886. The total cast was f,35 ,000 although this did not indude the fittings which added a further f:19,OOO (the dock had to be added later) . We are told that the band played Handel's Hallelujah chorus at the opening ceremony.

38 Lifeboat and Lifeboat House pictured about 1905. Eastbourne's first lifeboat was provided by the Sussex 'character' Jack Fuller of Rose Hill. When Jack died in 1833 he left the lifeboat ra 'the inhabitants of Eastbourne'. In

1 898 a baathouse was built, with the Duchess of Devonshire laying the foundation stone. This was followed by a further boathouse in 1 902. The baat shown in this picture, one of many which served over the years, is the 'Iames Stevens No. 6'.


Lift Baal nou ??.


<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek