Eastbourne in old picture postcards

Eastbourne in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Tony Wales
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2641-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Eastbourne in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59 Sheep in Gildridge Park circa 1903. (The park had been pmchased for

the town at around this periad.) Sussex was on ce noted for its sheep, and the special flavour ofSouthdown mutton. Same believed that the small snails found only on the Downs had a lot to do with the flavour, although others said it was the wild thyme. Eastbourne was said to be the best place to catch wheatears (once a great delicacy). Sussex Downland shepherds would add to their income by catching the tiny birds in snares, and then selling them.

60 The Wilmington Gardens Wishing WeH. In the early 1900s a trip from Eastbourne to the Gardens (proprietor Mr. Ebenezer) was an absolute 'must' for holidaymakers, as the trip only took about six minutes. Onee there, the Wishing WeH enehanted with its message:

If over me your wishes make. Think not of glamour's fiekle fate. A simple wish for graee invoke. When 'Wishing Well' for all go ad

folk.

An interesting use of the word' glamour', whieh is usually thought of as a modern term.

W zp;;;,//YQ7V4' h q~/.?OEH.r ? ..&,r...rL"x.

61 Wilmington Priory and church of St. Mary and St. Peter about 1 907. The Priory was founded originally in the twelveth century. It was suppressed in 1414 and subsequently fell into ruins. Ir is now owned by the Sussex Archaeological Trust.

The church claimed to have one of the oldest yew trees in the country (a claim probably disputed by several other churches) . A ghost of a peg-legged sailor was once said to be seen regularly, smoking his pipe, in the village street.

'hm <lglo<l

62 Ihe Wilmington Giant about 1924. This is a famaus 226-ft-high figure eut into the turf on Windover Hill. His date of origin is not known, and many legends and stories surround hirn. One of the best-known stories is of two giants who fought eaeh other, with the one remaining being the vietor (Unlike the Cerne Giant in Dorset he is sexless). Also in this pieture may be seen a team of oxen, animals whieh were onee used by farmers regularly in this part of Sus sex. There is same doubt as to whieh was the last team in regular use. It may have been Mr. Gorringe's team at Exeeat, or Major Harding's beasts

of Birling Manor farm, who were still working at East Dean in 1924. (A penny posteard was onee sold at the village store showing what was claimed ra be the last team.)

63 The Tiger Inn, East Dean about 1905. (Th ere are two East Deans in Sussex, this, and one in West Sussex. ) This is a charming village, four miles from Eastbourne. The Tiger Inn, part of a row of flint buildings, was on ce the barracks of the local militia, although it also has many stories of smugglers and their exploits. William Bardolf had a licence ra hold a weekly market here in the 13 th and 14th centuries, but the Bardalf coat of arms included a leopard,

so perhaps the tiger was a mistake! Pars on Jonathan Darby was the vicar here in the eighteenth century, and achieved local farne by hol-

lowing out a hole in the cliffs, from which he shone a light on stormy nights, as arefuge for ships in distress.

Ye Olde Tiger Inn, Ea t Dean.

64 Hampden Park around 1 909. What the message on a postcard described as 'a sweet little park' was nearly 100 acres, north of Eastbourne, near Willingdon. It was purchased for 0,000 on behalf ofthe town in 1901, and opened by Lord Rosebery in the following year. The lake shown in the photo was known originally as 'Old Decoy' but was later renamed 'Heron's Pool',

wh en it was enlarged.

65 Willingdon village, near Eastbourne, early in the twentieth century. A timeless picture by alocal photographer Percy Willby. The Well House here is notabie for the knucklebanes of sheep built into the wall. George Orwell wrote 'Animal Farm' (1945) near here.

As a child he went to St. Cyprians School in Eastbourne and belonged to the Willingdon Literary Society.

66 Great Fire at Rattan Hall, Willingdon. 1892. The house was the home of Mr. Freeman-Thomas, a locallandowner, and was around 100 years aid. The fire was caused by an overheated fiue setting the roof alight. The mansion was completely burnt out within three hours, although the occupants escaped, and many of the valuables in the hause were also saved. Two steamers and one manual fire engine came from Eastboume, although their services were oflittle avail in saving the hause which lit up the country for miles around.

67 old houses atWestharn in the 1900s. This village, close to Pevensey Castle, is full ofhistory. A Westham Curate, William Leeke, was a standard bearer at the Battle of Waterloo. He held special services for the coastguards, at odd hours, so that the smuggling gentry would not realize when na watches were being kept.

There are four 'Plague Stones' here, marking the communal grave of four victims of the epidemie of 1666.

68 Pevensey Castie as seen on an old print. Originally a Roman fortress, tradition says that William landed here before the Battle of Hastings. Certainly this appears ra have been the first Norman stronghold in England. In 1650 the castie was sold for f,40. But in 1940 it was seen as of likely use in the event of a German invasion.

A song at the time of the threatened French invasion of England went like this:

If Bonyparte should have the heart, to land on Pernsey Level.

Then rny three sons,

with their three guns,

would blow hirn to the Devil.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek