Eastbourne in old picture postcards

Eastbourne in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Tony Wales
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2641-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Eastbourne in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69 Andrew Borde's bedroom in The Mint House, Pevensey. The picture is one of a set, probably from the 193 Os. Andrew Borde ('Merry Andrew) was a monk and scholar who was reputed to have been born at Pevensey Vicarage early in the sixteenth century, and ra have lived for same time atThe Mint Hause. His claim to farne is his authorship of a baak 'Merry Tales ofthe Mad Men ofGotham'.The baak is full of jokes, many shaped from oral tradition. Whether Gotham was in fact a hamlet near Pevensey, or more likely a larger place ofthis name in Nottingham, is still in doubt.

Borde died in Fleet Prison in 1549.

70 Railway level crossing at Polegate, a photo from the early 1900s. It was from here that the first rail line ran to Eastbourne in 1849. This was on ce an area of particular natural beauty, described as 'a paradise offlowers, plants, trees, animals. insects and birds' . But much of this natural scenery has now been overlaid with twentieth-century housing.

71 Polegate windmill. An early 20th century view. The mill was built in 18 1 7, and with several owners it worked by wind until 1943, when electricity taak over, and powered the mill until 1 965. It was then purchased by the Eastbourne and District Preservation Trust; sin ce when tremendous efforts have been made to renovate

and, where necessary, rebuild the mill and its mechanism, much of the work being carried out by volunteers. The tower is 47 feet high of red brick, with the thickness of the wall varying from 2 feet 5 inches at the base, to 1 foot 4 inches at the top. Since

its restoration the mill has been opened to visitors at many times during the year.

72 WannoekTea Gardens, Polegate - the motor park with spaee for 40 eharabanes - in the 1920s. The Gardens were opened to the publie in 1 927, the proud proprietor being Mr. W]. Wootton, who claimed that the Gardens were on the site of 'the Old Original Wannoek Strawberry Garden' whieh he said dated baek two or three hundred years. The origin of the name seems to be uneertain, although it was said to be eonneeted with the walnut trees. A guide baak produeed by Mr. Wootton in the 1930s, claimed that the grounds included three-and -a-half miles of walks, lily pond, 'Palm

Room' , 'N 0- Way Street', 'Boisterous Corner' , 'Windy Passage' and 'StartIer' the monkey. These names were typical of the proprietor's brand ofhumom, exemplified in his

sixpenny guide baak, whieh ends with the message: 'Don't pass remarks about om eoffee - you may be weak and aid yomself someday.'

73 Beachy Head, the famaus Eastbourne cliffs and beauty spot, seen on a postcard from the early 1900s.The name is said to have nothing to do with the beach, but is probably derived from the Norman 'Beau Chef'. That great country writer Richard ]efferies in one ofhis essays says: "The glory of these glorious Downs is the breeze. The air in the valleys immediately beneath them is pure and pleasant; but the least climb, even a hundred feet, puts you on a plane with the atmos-

ph ere itself, uninterrupted by sa much as the treetops.'

74 Beachy Head lighthouse in the 1900s. In Iuly 1899 work began on the erection of the lighthouse on the foreshore under Beachy Head. The first task was to build an aerial railway from the headland. Work then continued night and day, and from a stone platform, the tower rose to a height of 120 feet. The lighthouse has seven floors, with a spiral stairease. The light came into operation on 2nd October 1902. Until the 19 70s electric power was from a battery charged by a wind generator, but since then power has been supplied byan 11 ,OOO-volt underground supply cable.

EINe

75 Belle Tout lighthouse, Beachy Head, in the early 1900s. In 1799 there was an iron cage owned by Mr. Willard of Birling farm, which was designed to draw up shipwrecked sailors from the base of the diffby windlass and pulley. In the early part of the nineteenth century, a naval captain having escaped near disaster, wrote letters to the national press, and this resulted in a small hut being placed on Belle Tout (Belle, Bael - Celtic God of War, and Tout - old word for Look Out.) Squire Jack Fuller then paid for a permanent building in 1834a tower designed byWilliam Hallett, made of Aberdeen granite, which was drawn from Maidstone by oxen. It was 47 feet high, with thirty oillamps. The

light was visible on a dear night 23 miles out to sea, but was less successful when there was a sea mist. (Experiments showed that a light near to the surf ace of the water worked far more efficiently.) In recent times a large part of the cliff has crashed into the sea, and this brave little lighthouse has had to be jacked-up and moved 50 feet inland.

The old Ughlhoule. Buch, Hea<!. 092

76 S.S. Eastfield stranded close to Beachy Head in December 1909 - not the first ship ra come ra grief at this spot. In fact this vessel was joined by a German submarine, which may be seen on other pictures from the same peri ad. Beachy Head is noted for its outstanding natural beauty, but equally for the many dangers, which feature in sa much of the history of this famous beauty spot.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek