Elstree and Boreham Wood in old picture postcards

Elstree and Boreham Wood in old picture postcards

:   Paul Welsh
:   Hertfordshire
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-3013-4
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Elstree and Boreham Wood in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. When this photograph was displayed locally one Boreham Wood man recognised himself as a young lad. He identified the picture as having been taken in 1910 at the Medburn Road School. The man on the right was apparently the head master, Mr. Dick Forfeit. He was always seen either wearing a black or white straw hat.

.?.??. _""'t_'li

'- .. ~};-.- - ..?.......

60. A general view of Elstree High Street looking north. In the middle left of the photograph can be seen the Green Dragon public house. Notice the horse-drawn delivery cart in the foreground. Both the north and south approaches to EIstree High Street involve steep gradient inclines which must have been difficult for horse-drawn vehicles.

61. Shenley Road photographed in the early 1920's. On the 1eft is the New Crown public house and some shops built in 1910. One of the shops was later occupied by Barclays Bank which opened a branch here in 1928. Several banks opened branches in Boreharn Wood during the late 1920's as the film industry within the town began to expand. The row of shops on the right was known as Station Parade and many of the buildings in this part of Shen1ey Road have survived.

62. The Artichoke public house has been a favourite watering hole in EIstree for centuries. This photograph was taken in the winter of 1927. The Artichoke is mentioned as far back as 1750 and in the 1820's was the scene of an inquest into the death of William Weare, a famous murder case of the period. The Artichoke also served as a stopping point on the London to Birmingham run in the days of the horse-drawn coach.

63. Another photograph by local photographer Len Beattie showing some localladies staging a 'black and white' minstrel show. This form of entertainment in which white performers black their faces and sing Ameriean style 'country musie' has long been popular in England. The venue for this show was the All Saints Church Hall built by donations and public subscription in 1920. Despite its name the hall is not a church hall but acquired the title due to its Iocation next to All Saints Church.

64. The Manor House situated at the bottom of Allum Lane and photographed in about 1903. The house was much rebuilt in the 1880's but the bottorn section on the left wing apparently dates from the eighteenth century. When photographed the Manor House was still a private dwelling but in the 1940's a charity was set up to purchase the estate and the building today is used as a community centre. At the entrance to the grounds still stands the Manor Lodge which is now a private house.

65. A group of local young children photographed on a winter's morning andjudging from the smart clothing, probably after a Sunday morning service at the church. One local historian has identified the picture as having been taken at the viaduct at the Brickfields in EIstree. Several members of the local scout group are shown. It is interesting to note how all the young lads are wearing cloth caps. The custom of men wearing some sort of hat remained a common practice everywhere until the 1960's.

66. This view was taken at the turn of the century and looks down Elstree Hili North to the junction with Allurn Lane, The buildings on the left have long since been dernolished, Overhanging frorn a tree on the right is the sign of the Artichoke public house.

67. This attractive row of mock tudor houses were in fact of brick built construction from the eighteenth century. However, they were an attractive centre-pi├Ęce to Elstree Village but sad1y were allo wed to decay and eventually demolished in the 1960's. The 1eft hand end building was used by Barclays Bank until they moved their premises to Shen1ey Road. The mock Tudor timber-fronted appearance was apparent1y added to the houses during the ear1y part of this century.

68. This photograph is undated but shows sorne of the local men who were members of Lodge Num ber Three of the London and Provincial Yearly Dividing Friendly Society.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek