Eyemouth in old picture postcards volume 1

Eyemouth in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   W. Lawson Wood
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Scottish Borders
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5143-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Eyemouth in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. A very early photograph of the Ship Hotel, the white building in the centre is all that remains. The dweUing house extending to the left was where Wullie Stewart Iived, known locally as Captain Caution, and the Hippodrome to the right, formerly a grain store and then a net store has now become the National Mission To Deep Sea Fishermen.

Harbour Road, Eyemouth

20. Harbour Raad in 1930. Cobbled streets are very much in evidence, The view looks very much Iike a Sunday aftemoon of today, people enjoying a stroll along the harbour. The covered fish mark et now spoils this view.

21. The Ship Hotel once more to the right. B.K. 218 'The Sublime' getting ready to go to sea. Note, there are no houses along the Avenue, on the opposite side ofthe harbour.

22. Photographed from Gunsgreen House in 1930, it shows the 'modern' steam drifters in a packed harbour. A ship under construction lies against the old extended middle pier. The harbour had already undergone many changes, more were still to follow.

23. Another scene from 1930, little changed from today, except for the herring barrels which are stacked high all the way along the harbour, awaiting the 'silver darlings' that built Eyemouth's prosperity, The herring are gone now and the fleet pursue other varieties of fish for sale in the weekly market. 48,000 barrels of herring a year were being shipped out then.

24. Ethnic scenes like these were very popular. Here the fisher lassies and lads are seen in Burgon's Yard, now a car park. The herring was salted and stored in barrels ready for shipment out by either rail or on one of the many schooners from Poland or Russia which visited Eyemouth regularly.

25. Packing the herring. These women worked in appalling conditions to feed an ever hungry world, their fingers wrapped in bandages to try and help against the continual cuts and salt which soon left the women scarred and with no feeling left in their hands.

26. John Burgon's lorry, a company still in operation today used to follow the herring fleet as they in turn followed the shoals of herring. From the Orkneys and Shetland, Mallaig to Yarmouth and Lowestoft, the fisher lassies worked the ports relentlessly, the work was always on the quayside and more of ten than not in terrible winter weather.

27. MusseI time in 1906. The women were up from four in the morning 'sheelin th' mussels' and baiting the thousands of hooks to the accompaniment of psalm, hymn or Scottish song. Haddoek were the main type of fish caught in this way. This picture postcard is taken from where the present fish market stands in front of the old buildings once known as Glasgow Terrace and where Salt Greens now stands.

28. The lifeboat James and Raehael Grindley seen here at the harbour entrance. On her first ever rescue her crew escorted 21 boats from outside the roadsteads beyond the shelter of the Hurkur Rocks into the harbeur and assisted in rescuing over 120 men. A remarkable feat considering that propulsion of the lifeboat was done by rowing, and to do this in a storm escorting each boat into the harbour, a total of 21 separate journeys to and from the harbour mouth. Such is the bravery of the men of the R.N .L.I.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek