Eyemouth in old picture postcards volume 1

Eyemouth in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   W. Lawson Wood
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Scottish Borders
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5143-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Eyemouth in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. A wonderful view of tbe inner harbour and sluice to cope with the river in flood. James Weatherhead's Boatyard is seen to the rear left, beyend that is the former railway station and Victoria Road with only a few houses. Fishing beats could only be taken to the boatyard at high tide, when the sea flooded the lower reaches of the river or 'cut'. The wooden building at the side of the pier used to be a toilet, and was demolisbed by a boat passing through the cut from the boatyard. A joke at the time was that it was first time the skipper had ever sunk a toilet.

30. Still spoken of with the hushed voices of personal sorrow is the terrible hurricane which hit the east coast fishing fleets so suddenly on the 14th October 1881. 189 men lost their lives that day. Eyemouth lost 20 boats and 129 men. The only Eyemouth boat to remain with all her crew intact was the Ariel Gazelle seen here shortly after limping into port, her sails in ribbons, patched and laced together, on the day of their funeral! after spending 45 hours at sea riding the storm. The storm Ieft 73 widows and 263 orphansl

31. The Disaster Memorial erected by public subscription to the memory of those lost at sea, It was originally placed at the new cemetery at the top of Coldingham Road, and can now be seen in the old cemetery in the centre of town. A tapestry depicting the disaster is now on permanent display in the museum.

There was weeping on every side, there was no a home bere ft;

Fathers, and brothers, and lovers - there was hardly a man of them left!

32. Gunsgreen Mansion house seen here in 1911 dominates the harbour. One of the original owners, Sir Robert Logan was involved in the Gowrie Conspiracy to kidnap King James VI. Nine years after Logan's death, his body was exhumed and the bones senteneed to death for high treason. The false ramparts hide massive underground vaults and were used almost exclusively for the storage of contraband goods. At one time a rowing boat was able to approach the vaulted archway at the left, It was reputed that underground passages stretched all the way to Burnmouth.

33. By 1917 Gunsgreen House had acquired a footpath around her, and was a boarding residence, The white strip to the left are sheets banging out to bleach and dry in the sun. The tower to the right is attributed to Oliver Cromwell, when he stayed in Eyemouth during his northem campaign. For many years it served as a dovecote for the Mansion house, it is now used by the Golf Club, as well as the building itself.

34. A steam drifter leaving the harbour in 1929. The empty barrels awaiting the returning fleet. Behind the Cromwell Tower, the long building was once a market garden run by 'Batchy Pate'. The high wall around the garden used to have many fruit trees, sadly nothing remains. Onee more, on the grass, the sheets are hanging out to bleach in the sun,

35. The bottom end of the harbour where the River Eye joins the cut, opposite Weatherhead's Boatyard. The yard was first started in 1839, and soon led to the Eyemouth fleet being the first of its kind with closed decks. The old foot bridge was replaced by the Silver Bridge, when it was destroyed during the floods on 14th August 1948.

36. The riverbank in front of Victoria Road, with the 'summer' boats hauled up. This site was chosen as the termination for the Eyemouth Railway. The Eyemouth Railway Company was formed at a cosr of f30,OOO, and started service on the 13th April 1891. Tbroughout its service the journey took only eight minutes from Eyemouth to Burnmouth.

37. The railway station opposite the 'bain-mill brae' in 1923. The old footbridge is evident, as weil as a number of goods wagons in the yard. The railway was intended to extend on to the harbourside, but the committee could not afford the house that stood in its way.

.... -

E;YEMO'-lJIlH.

38. A view of the railway station, this time taken in 1903 and from a position further up the river near the toll bridge. Victoria Road is still not fully developed, and the summer boats are now stored on the other side of the river.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek