Eyemouth in old picture postcards volume 1

Eyemouth in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   W. Lawson Wood
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Scottish Borders
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5143-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Eyemouth in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. A rare look at the oid toll bridge trom the west looking under its archway to Eyemouth in the distance. Photographed in the winter at high tide, The tide floods the lower reaches of the river up as far as Millbank,

40. A more conventional view of the toll bridge with the toll house at the Eyemouth end. The railway line runs to the right under another smaller archway. It was an uphill run to Burnmouth, and runaway eerriages often ran back and crashed into Eyemouth station.

41. A fine photograph of the toll house taken from a position near the entrance to Netherbyers, Eyemouth's other stately home. The passing of the dissolution of the tolls act in the 1880's meant that all the toll houses had to be demolished, however the one at Eyemouth stood for many years, and was finally demolished in the 1930's.

42. The viaduct over the river Eye was constructed 60 feet above the river bed to carry the railway into Eyemouth from Burnmouth main line station. Sadly the brick piers are the only visible remains of the railway which closed in 1962.

43. Opposite the railway viaduct was Maggie Murphy's cottage. The old building still stands today ne ar Millbank, but not for much longer I fear. It is exactly one mile from the cottage to the centre of Eyemouth.

? Gyemouih.

44. Victoria Road, looking towards the parish church. In 1915 it was of great interest to these children who are sitting on the wall above the railway station, warehing the trains go by.

8L7

HOUNDLAW PARK. EYEMOUTH.

45. Houndlaw Park in 1914. The first council houses were not built until the 1920's. This view is from a position opposite where the primary school is now.

46. Another look at the same view but this time in 1911. We are looking downColdingham Road towards the Gleneme Hotel and the harbeur beyond.

Houod1aw Terrace, Eyemouth

47. Another photograph from 1911 looking along Houndlaw Terrace to the old schooL Eyemouth Health Centre is now in this Iocation, The rest of the street has remained unchanged.

48. Ian McIvor was Eyemoutn's most notabie photographer of this era and produced many high quality picture postcards. This one of the Methodist church is a typical example of his work. The original chapel was built in 1835 in Church Street and is now a dwelling house, the present building was opened in 1905. The view is taken along Albert Road.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek