Eyemouth in old picture postcards volume 1

Eyemouth in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   W. Lawson Wood
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Scottish Borders
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5143-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Eyemouth in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. Albert Road once more, this time in 1919, and looking towards the Methodist church, with the parish church beyoud. Tbc present Norman style building was erected in 1878.

50. This picture postcard was photographed in 1907 outside the former public school which was opened in 1876, this fine view is little changed today. The school is now used as a Youth and Community Centre,

51. This shop in Albert Road, formerly owned J.T. Thomson, was also known as Janie Windy's after the next owner Jane Windram took over. The shop later became Bert Ridley's fish and chip shop, and is now also closed. It was situated at the top of 'Cockielaw' or Armitage Street, named after the original owner of the property.

52. The watch house in the old graveyard in the centre of town. This pieture was taken in 1908. The watch house was built almost entirely out of oid head-stones. All local graveyards had them so that a guard could always be on duty against grave robbers. Burke and Hare were very active in the Eyemouth area. The original grave yard used to be at the same level as High Street, but when the cholera epidemie hit the town there wasn't enough room, so the level was raised another six feet to take the 100 or so who died in 1849. After the Eyemouth Disaster all the new made space was allocated and the new cemetery was opened in 1885.

53. Probably the oldest photograph in the book. This was taken in the early 1870's and is of the shop at 38 Church Street, owned by John and Mary Nisbet. The shop is now a dwelling house.

54. Church Street in 1923. It was a great novelty when a photographer came to town, everyone wanted to be in the picture. The horse and cart featured in several cards of the same view. The lower town was inhabited by fishermen and their families, whereas the upper town had the farming dependeuts. These people did not get on well together and many superstitions sprang up.

55. The same view as befere but taken from the corner of Mason's Wynd. The grand building to the left is the former Commercial Bank. The stone carving of the ship above the centre window is ofthe Supreme. The lower part of the building is used by the Council and J. R. Wood & Moor, solicitors, hold up the upstairs offices.

56. The other side of the street in 1923. This shows the edge of the Auld Kirk and the Manse. AH the buildings were demolisbed to make a new wider access road down to the harbour, and is now called Manse Road.

57. The war memorial in 1922. It has since been moved to a new position in front of The British Legion adjacent to High Street.

58. An earlier view taken in 1908 of the parish church or Auld Kirk. The wall has been gone for rnany years. The building stood ernpty and derelict for a nurnber of years until monies were found to couvert it into the Eyernouth Fishermen's Museum and Tourist Information Centre.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek