Fareham in old picture postcards

Fareham in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   J.F. Emery
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3285-5
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Fareham in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. This picture of the Turnpike Tollgate was taken by Sidney Smith around 1880. The tollhouse stood on the site now occupied by the Turnpike Garage. The hill climbing off to the left of the picture is Old Turnpike. Having just journeyed along the Wickham Road to Fareham, the old gentleman on the pony and trap is seen paying bis dues, The story goes that some devious travellers preferred to suffer a roundabout route through Wallington Village and a series of narrow, muddy lanes rather than pay the toll. In an era when time was of less importance, the financial savings of such adetour no doubt had attractions for those with a sound knowledge of the loeal geography. The buildings on the right of Wickham road are the old Fareham Workhouse which became St. Christopher's Hospital in 1948.

Wallington. Fareha~<

40. Standing on Wallington bridge and facing north, Heetor Duffett photographed this view of the river and village of Wallington, befere an attentive audienee in 1908. Wallingtoil was the first fording place on the river that rises in the South Downs and meanders down to empty into the upper reaehes of Fareham Creek, The finding of flint implements in the area substantiates the belief that a settlement existed on the river banks around this lowest crossing point as far back as pre-historie times. Up until recent times the entire population lived in pieturesque cottages in Wallington Shore Road and North Wallington. It is hard to believe that such a dreamy !ittle hamlet eould have supported two thriving industries over the years.

41. Wallington village, pictured here in close-up by Hector Duffett in 1908, was for many years the site of a high quality tannery. When it was first established in the 17th century, the hides and bark used in the tannery, and the finished products were all carried by sea via the Fareham Quays. With the coming of the railway, cartloads of hides and bark travelling between railway station and tannery became a common sight in the town. The tannery ernployed some three dozen men and was in operation right up to the First World War. The other local industry was in the form of Wallington Brewery, This was located in the north of the village and commenced operations in the early 19th century. It was to continue to pro duce an ale of considerable local repute for more than a hundred years.

42. The old Wallington Bridge is pictured here in 1929 in a posteard published by Suttons of Fareham. lt was obviously a peaceful spot where the loeal inhabitants liked to linger and fatten up the large duck population. The lovely old brick built bridge dates from the late 18th century and was a picturesque link between Wallington village and the rest of Fareham. Today the major road works in the area have tended to iso late the village. Whilst in 1978 the old bridge itself was under threat from the Southern Water Authority. The resolution of a group of Ioeal residents finally dispelled any plans for its demolition and the loeality has now been declared a conservation area.

43. Just down the river from Wallington Bridge was the Millpond as pictured here by F.G.O. Stuart in 1905. Running along the background is Wallington Shore Road and on the gentle slopes beyond were large residences like Wallington House and East Hill Lodge where lived the loeal aristocracy. On the right of the picture stands St. Edith's Church of England Home. This was founded in 1869 as an industrial home where girls received training in domestic duties. Two years after this picture was taken the Church of England Society for Waifs and Strays had the building completely modernised. Today it survives as the Roundabout Hotel but most of the old millpond has disappeared beneath the Delrne roundabout.

44. Pictured here is the point where Wallington Shore road meets the main Fareham to Porchester road at what used to be known as the Delme Arm's corner. Photographer Mr. Sweasey appears to have been standing on the bridge almost under the railway viaduct when taking this scene in 1912. The old Delme Arms public house, despite a disastrous fire, still graces the same spot today. The routing of the new main road to Porchester to the other side of those splendid trees in the picture meant that the public house, adjoining cottages and that part of the main road were all preserved in a pleasant backwater just off the new Delme roundabout.

45. Just on past the Delme Arms public house, nearing the top of the incline leading out of Fareham towards Porchester, and guarding the eastern approach to the town stood East Cams tollhouse. It can still be seen today on the north side of the A27 just a few yards to the Fareham side of Downend Road, In this close-up picture by Sidney Smith circa 1885, the lady in charge ean elearly be seen collecting the toll. The large five-bar gate stands open to allow the pony and trap to pass through and to await the next elient who can be seen in the distance, approaching from Porchester. This was one of six tollgates, the one at Blackbrook having already been pictured, that lay along the Titchfield to Cosham road and belonged to the Titchfield and Cosham Trust.

46. In 1927 this road leading into the town from the east was lined with rows of magnificent trees. Cams Hill itself though was still a steady climb, and the cyclist facing the camera was no doubt only to pleased to pause and pose. The free-wheeling cyclist on his way down the hili can only spare a backward glance. What a pleasant walk it must have been down the single, sheltered footpath to the mi1lpond, or on into the town. It is very different today with most of the trees and hedgerows having disappeared. Four lanes of traffie career by in clouds of exhaust fumes, whilst the wind sweeps in unchecked from the open waters to the south.

47. In pride of place in this 1916 photograph by F.G.G. Stuart are what appears to be an abandoned steam roller, workmen's caravan and trailer. Possibly the three figures walking under the railway viaduct are on their way to reclaim them. The road over the Creek passes under the viaduct and on up into the town. The building that can be seen through the archway is Cams Mill. The cameraman was clever enough to take his picture at high tide when Fareham Creek was looking at its best. Most of this scene is now replaced by new road systems and a large roundabout. The viaduct itself being almost dwarfed by an enormous concrete traffic flyover.

48. The Domesday Book referred to two mills at Fareham, one ofwhich occupied the site of the old mill seen here. In this A.H. Sweasey photograph of 1915, the gentleman posing proudly outside the mill was presumably Mr. S. Harris, the owner at that time. The large sign board states the proprietor to be a miller, corncake and coal merchant. Before Mr. Harris the mill had been owned for many years by a MI. Clark and was indeed known Iocally as Clark's mill. Cams Mill, to give it its proper name, fronted on to the main Fareham to Portsmouth raad at the bottom of East Street. In the years previous to the taking of this picture the mill had been gradually lapsing into a poor state of repair. The situation continued on through the war years and in 1920 the decision was taken to demolish it, thus severing another of Fareham's links with the past.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek