Fareham in old picture postcards

Fareham in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   J.F. Emery
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3285-5
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Fareham in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

CAMS MILL F'"AP.EHAM

49. This is the rear view of the oid mill standing on the warer's edge at Cams. The railway viaduct seen to the Ieft of the mill was constructed in the 1840's. This was to earry the trains across the upper reaches of Fareham Creek when the line was extended from Fareham to Portsmouth in 1848. The demolition of the mill in 1920 is said to have upset many of the Ioeal residents. The old tarred wooden building was certainly picturesque and is said to have attracted artists for many miles around. This seems to be borne out by the wide selection of sketches and paintings that exist of the oid mill buildings and the Creek on which it stood.

TELEPHONE N'? 15.

50. Further down Fareham Creek stood another large millhouse which had been built at the Lower Quay by Thomas Burrell in 1830. This mill was driven by steam and was taken over by the Heasman family towards the end of the 19th century. In their hands it was extensively modernised and became the first building in the town to have electricity. For over one hundred years the rnill was at the centre of the hive of industry that surrounded Fareham's Lower Quay. It was not until 1960 that milling operations finally ended. The letterhead shown here was the type used by the Fareham Flour Mills Company around the turn of

the century. .

51. For many centuries Fareham was a flonrishing seaport with vessels bringing such imports as coa1, corn, salt, hides and bark to the town's quays, This cargo was then replaced with produets of the Fareham area such as timber, 1eather bricks, pottery and grain. A ship-building industry had started up on the shores of Fareham Creek as far back as the 16th century, This was to give the town a big advantage when a boom in ship-building took place along the south coast in the late 18th century. This industry continued for one hundred years before starting to wane, although the early part of this centnry still saw a large number of smaller pleasnre craft being built locally. The serene looking Creek here was photographed by F.G.O. Stuart in 1905. On the 1eft can be seen the main wad from Gosport leading under the distant railway viaduct and up to the town centre.

52. When this photograph of the quay was taken in 1906 there seems to have been a lull in the usual activity. Tied up alongside the quay are three coal barges in the process of being unloaded. These flat-bottomed craft belonged to loeal coal merchants Wood and Company and were towed up from Portsmouth by tugs, One of the old horse-drawn carts can be seen on the quay half loaded with sacks of coal. The house in the background stands on the far side of the main Gosport to Fareham road. It was one of several fine homes that were built overlooking the Creek. In the days before non-stop motor traffic roared along the main road these houses must have been the envy of all.

53. The Lower Quay area appears here as viewed by Sidney Smith from the upper quay in 1930. Prominent in the middle of the photograph is the Fareham Flour Mill. Next to this is the quayside garage and repair shop of Fred Dyke, MI. Dyke went on to becorne one of the tewn's most prominent businessmen building up a large haulage and removals concern. His wife served on the local counci1 for many years, and many charities owe her a debt of gratitude. By 1930 the gradual silting up of the deep-water channel, coupled with the vast advances made by road and rail transport, had drastically reduced the Creeks's commercial use. Only the occasional small coaster carrying corn or shingle continuing to call, As the picture shows, the pleasure baat was taking over the Creek and replacing work-stained old hulls with a colourful array of sails.

54. When wealthy Fareham Timber merchant William Price died in 1721 his will instructed that his West Street house be used as a school for thirty of the poorer boys and girls in the parish. The school, to be supported by the proceeds from his estate at Elson and Cracker Hill, was to have as trustees the vicar of the parish and his church wardens. Provision was also made for a resident schoolmaster and an annual clothing allowance for each pupil. The schoolhouse then stood on the site of the old Fareham Fire Station building. Having fallen into disrepair it was rebuilt on the same site in 1842 and remained there for another sixty-five years. In 1907 it was considered na langer suitable and a new school building was constructed in Park Lane. This picture of the new school building was taken in 1927.

55. The new Price's school in Park Lane was equipped with many up to date innovations to widen the education of its pupils. One of these was the well-stocked and laid out woodwork room pictured here. When the old West Street school was rebuilt in 1842 it was turned into a school for boys only. The girls were transferred to the recently enlarged Fareham National School. This policy was continued in the new Park Lane School and allo wed more time and space to be devoted to male orientated occupations like woodwork. In recent years Price's school became a sixth form college with the fair sex once more gaining a foothold. Soon now it will be moving to another site in Fareham to become part of a large educational complex. The one possible redeeming feature of the old school's loss of identity is that a badly needed hospital might one day rise in its place.

-

-

56. A few years after the start of the Edwardian postcard collecting boom, harassed postcard publishers were casting around for new ideas in postcard form, to help them to corner a larger share of the market. One such novel idea was born in the form of a multi-view card which showed several different views of a town on one card. Usually aquartered card pictured four scenes, and on occasion a rarely seen view was mixed with more common ones. In the William Smith card pictured here the view of North Hill and Fareham Creek are common whilst those of the tram at the top of Portland Street and the interior view of Fareham Market are very difficult to find today on single view cards.

57. This is an example of a card by Hector Duffett of Fareham, who took the multi-view postcard idea even further. He has taken five different Fareham views, all fairly common, arranged them most artistically on a card and surrounded them with an attractive decor. Whilst the quality of the views leaves something to be desired, the card is different and on the whole quite pleasing. Eager collectors in 1917, the date on this card, were just as happy as they are today to snap up anything a little out of the ordinary. The multi-view card enjoyed considerable popularity, no doubt because at least four views for the price of one appears a bargain in any era.

58. Taking the novelty topographie postcard idea another stage Hector Duffett produced sets of six 'Panoramicards' around 1905. The normal dimensions of a postcard are 5% inches by 3% inches but these monsters measured 11 % inches across. They were very effective and the example shown here gives a comprehensive impression of the village of Wallington, standing on the banks of the river. The main wad is shown leading over the old bridge and into the heart of the village. The back gardens of the cottages in Wallington Shore Road lead right down to the river and it is clear to see why the inhabitants have experienced problems with flooding on occasions.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek