Farnham in old picture postcards

Farnham in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Annette Booth
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Surrey
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5910-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Farnham in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

39. Another view of West Street, this time published by a loeal man, A. Clarke ofThe Bazaar, 109 East Street, in about 1914. On the extreme left is the furnishing store of E. Ranger - another family business whieh has always traded from the same premises. The firm is due to eelebrate its centenary in 1995. Next to Rangers is Farnham's main Post Office, under postmaster Mr. F.W. Charley, whieh had moved here in 1904. In 1994 it is still in the same place, although the original building was demolished in 1969 and completely rebuilt. The new Post Office opened on 5th January 1973. On the right of the eard are the premises of William Kingham & Sans at Nos. 16, 17, 18. William Kingham had purchased Henry Gosden Gray's groeery business in 1852. After his death in 1907 his sans eontinued the business.

West Street, Farnham

40. Farnharn Grammar School in about 1911, lookingjust as it does today, although doesn't West Street look wonderfully empty? By this time the school was Famham Girls' Grammar School, the young ladies having moved there from No. 74 Castle Street. The boys - about 100 of them at the turn of the century - had moved into their brand new premises in Morley Road, the road itself being named after the Bishop who had founded the original school. The building in West Street bears the date 1611, but Nigel Temple, in his book 'Farnharn Buildings and People', believes the east bay was built in 1872 and the remainder around 1895. lts headmaster then was Charles Stroud, a man George Sturt, who attended the school, remembers as 'Old Buffer'. He seemed 'terrible and stern, with his pursed-up lips and grim overhanging brows and penetrating eyes'. Later, like so many children, the young George Sturt learned to love the man, under whose headship the school prospered.

41. A view of West Street looking towards Wrecclesham with Vernon House on the left ofthe picture, with the tall chimney. Today this building, greatly extended in 1990, is the home of Farnham Library, but when this postcard was produced in about 1900 it was a private house. It was owned, in 1648, by one Henry Vernon and he had the dubious task of providing Bed & Breakfast for King Charles I, who was on his way, under armed guard, from Carisbroke CastIe to Westminster. On his departure, the King was asked, by Mr. Vernon, for a memento of his visit and he gave him a quilted and embroidered nightcap. If we look further down West Street we can just make out a couple of Farnham's manypublic houses which have since vanished. On the left is The Holly Bush, which closed in 1937, and on the right is The Fox. This closed in 1902, one of the first of many pubs to lose its licence as magistrates attempted to put a halt to the growing number of drinking establishments in the town.

42. John Henry Knight, on the right, with his family, taken around the turn of the century. As wen as leaving a legacy of wonderful photographs of Farnharn during the latter part of the 19th century, IH. Knight is best known for inventing the first two-seater car in Britain. It was built by George Parfitt in the Elliott Reliance Works at No. 50 West Street, and could tra vel at 8 miles an hour. Mr. Knight enjoyed motoring and aften dispensed with the obligatory man carrying a red f1ag. On more than one occasion he found hirnself up before the Beneh. The car went on show at Crystal Palace in 1896 and is now in the Motor Museum at Beaulieu. In the same year Mr. Knight wrote a book entitled 'Notes on Motor Carriages', the first book of its kind to be aimed at the general public. In it he advised potential buyers that they should 'see the machine taken to pieees and put together again' , so th at they would be able to deal with any breakdowns in the future!

43. Thursday, 28th August 1924 (not 29th as handwritten on the card), when road accidents apparently made good views for postcards! At least Mr. Frederick H. Hoskins, of Church Street, üdiham, could send one to his family to personally show them what damage he had managed to inflict on this bungalow. The Surrey Advertiser of30th August reported that Mr. Hoskins, who worked for Henry White Jnr., ofCrookham, had been driving the firm's lorry along West Street and had pulled out to overtake a scavengers barrow, when a Ford motor car belonging to MI. T.J. Blunden, licensee of the King's Arms, Binsted, which was following the lorry, collided with its offside wheel. The lorry crashed through a fence, into the bungalow, and came to a stop in the bedroom. Neither man was hurt, nor were the inhabitants of No. 56. Mr. J. Eade was at work, while his wife was on holiday in London.

44. A group of elderly residents stand outside their newly-built Almshouses in West Street at around the turn of the century. The Almshouses were described in John Nichols' 1903 Directory as 'eight pretty and commodious cottages facing the cemetery'. They were built in 1893 as part of a bequest from the late George Trimmer, who had died on IIth November 1892. The sum of 8/· a week was also provided for the occupant or occupants of each house. MI. Trimmer founded the Lion Brewery in West Street in the mid-nineteenth century. It is said that he started with nothing, married weil, and died worth three-quarters of a million pounds. After his death his name was perpetuated with the gift of both these Almshouses and a Cottage Hospital,

45. I cannot be positive, but all my research leads me to believe that this is the funeral of Mr. Richard Mason, Clerk to Farnham Urban District Council, in May 1910. He died in the same week as King Edward VII and the Heraid gave his death equal coverage- he was that highly thought of! The Surrey Advertiser & Farnham Standard of 21st May 1910 called his death 'the greatest loss it (Farnham) had sustained for years'. The photograph shows the cartege just passing Trimmer's Almshouses and approaching the cemetery in West Streel. The procession was led by Superintendent Simmonds and the Farnham Division of the Surrey Constabulary who, earlier, had lined the churchyard path at St. Andrew's. Also present were members of the Council and most of Farnham 's leading narnes. Farnham Cricket Club even scratched their match with Woking as a mark of respect for their late Vice-President.

46. The junction of Downing Street with West Street and The Borough in the days when traffic was two-way. The idea of a one-way system had been talked about in 1926, but it would not be implemented for another forty years! The year of our photograph is 1929 and the brand new Alliance public house Iiterally gleams in the autumn sunshine. It replaced a public house of the same name, which was more affectionately known as The Red, White and Blue, because it was once believed to be the haunt of ladies of iJl repute. Designed by Harold Falkner and G. Maxwell Aylwin, the new public house was run for a time in the 1950's by Jessie Matthews, the actress. On the opposite side of the street is 1. Speneer's. the draper and costumier. John Elliott Spencer had modernised his shop frantage in 1904 and added two more windows in the Downing Street frontage in 1908. He died in 1949, but the business continued until 1964 when the premises were demolished.

47. Downing Street in 1904 with two ofthe towns many public houses in the foreground. In 1901 there were no less than 45 public houses within the Urban District, which worked out at one for every twenty-four men. This was approximately twice the national average and the County Licensing Committee were not happy. Theywrote to the Farnharn magistrates, who immediately took action. By 1914 twenty of Farnham's public houses had disappeared. In Downing Street The Sun, at No. 17, lost its licence in 1902, along with The Cricketers at No. 36, although this was subsequently reprieved and survived, along with The Bird in Hand, No. 43, until1928. Next to The Bird in Hand, at No. 42, were the premises of Miss Smither, upholsterer and cabinet maker. The Smithers moved to Downing Street from The Borough in 1847, remaining in business unti11954. Today their shop and the old pub have been replaced by a supermarket.

48. The Farnham Parish Church of St. Andrew is one of the largest in West Surrey and th is very early photograph shows it with a much shorter tower. The one we admire today was added in 1865 and in his mernoirs, the late William 'Billy' Stroud, the son of Charles Stroud, the highly-respected headmaster ofFarnham Grammar School, describes how, as a boy, he watched the building work. He writes: '1 used to watch the barrowloads of stone being hauled up to raise the tower. A horse walked along the churchyard, dragging a chain which passed over a set of pulleys and sa enabled the stone to be taken up.' On completion, the Surrey & Hants News of 2nd December 1865 reported: 'The noble pile, lifting its turrets high and gloriously over meaner things, gives Farnham an air of importance it never possessed before when seen from afar.'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek