Farnham in old picture postcards

Farnham in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Annette Booth
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Surrey
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5910-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Farnham in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

49. The interiar of St. Andrew's Church at the beginning of this century. I found an interesting little story while researching in The Museum of Famham. Tucked away in a file was a copy of a handwritten note in the first person, but frustratingly unsigned. The writer spoke ofthe fear experienced by the people ofFarnham in 1849 as they awaited the annual influx of hop piekers from 'the London slums'. Apparently they always brought infectious diseases, but this year cholera was raging in the East End. 'They came, they picked, and they went home and Farnharn escaped', the author penned. 'Mr. John Paine gave the great East Window as a th ank-offering to God far His great goodness in protecting us.' I can find no mention ofthis in any ofthe guide books about St. Andrew's, but it's interesting to note that the East Window was installed in 1851 and one of Farnham's best-known figures of the 19th century was, indeed, a Mr. John Manwaring Paine.

50. A Frith postcard of Downing Street and Lower Church Lane in 1904, with the simple message, to a Miss Heavens: 'Have marked the house where I lodge, Dad.' By this time postcard mania was gripping the whole country - in 1906 one Farnharn postman alone delivered 4,145 ofthem. As to where Mr. Heavens was staying- it taak me ages to find his pencil mark on the entrance porch of No. 4, the second house from the leftl Directly behind and to the right of that house you can just make out The Feathers inn in Lower Church Lane. It had survived the cuts unti11920, when landlord F. W. Hook died. His wife asked to have the Iicence transferred, but it was refused and another Farnharn pub disappeared for ever. The house to the left ofwhere Mr. Heavens stayed is Longbridge House, which from 1902 to 1920 was St. Joseph's Convent. The school specialised in French and needlework, under Mme. EH. Desmaret.

51. Bridge Square in 1904, looking very much as it does today, a1though now the trafik is a little heavier! In the foreground is Tanyard House, one of the oldest buiJdings in Farnham, dating from around 1500. It is the surviving wing of what was a much larger house, with a tannery beside it. In 1830 a brewery and maltings replaced the tannery. Today 'Sampson Sampson, Licensed Maltster' can still be seen painted on the end wall of the row of cottages next to Tanyard House. Sampson's, Barrett's, Famham United Brewery, and, lastly, Courages, all brewed from the site. Then, in 1968, Courages applied to pull down the ma1tings and build fitteen houses and garages. When residents expressed regret, the town was made a generous offer of the site and buildings for just BO,OOO, with the proviso that the purehase should be agreed within six weeks. As those of us who enjoy the facilities th ere today know, that deadline was met and The Maltings now belong to the people of Farnham.

52. This view of the corner of Abbey Street and Longbridge has changed a great deal since this photograph was taken around 1896. As you can see, the cottages are in a pretty poor state of repair. No wonder Mr. G.J. Stacey decided to start rebuilding them the following year. MI. Staceywas a grocer and provisions merchant, as is evident from the adverts for Nestlé's Milk and Venus, Sunlight, and Hudsons soap on the wall. Soap is definitely the last thing on the minds of the young lads standing outside the shop. The boy on the far left proudly hangs on to his metal hoop and stick. George Sturt wrote of the joys of being 'a boy with a hoop'. No self-respecting boy would have a wooden hoop - that was for a girl. A boy's metal hoop would be between eighteen and thirty inches in diameter and made from light rod iron by the local blacksmith.

53. The lolly Farmer public house, photographed at aboutthe same time as the previous picture, 1896. It was here on 9th March 1763 that one of Farnham's most famous sons, William Cobbett, was bom. Radical politician and journalist, he was the founder of Hansard and writer of many books, his best-known being his 'Rural Rides', which described country life in the 1820's. Cobbett died in 1835 and was buried next to the porch of St. Andrew's Parish Church. It is said that when he died the London-bound stagecoach paused to let passengers attend the funeral. In the 1970's the public house was renamed The William Cobbett in his honour. Next doorto the lolly Farmer can be seen the premises of John Harris, fly proprietor. Then, as now, fishing was a very popular sport and where better than the River Wey to cast your line?

54. The Archbishop of Canterbury lays the foundation stone ofFamham's new Church House in May 1909. The Farnharn Heraid of 22nd May reported a three-part ceremony, which was both 'irnposing and interesting'. A service was held in the Parish Church, after which the dignitaries processed to Union Road for the ceremony. The day cnded with a reception in the Corn Exchange. The Church House was the brain child of the Reverend Neville Lovett, who came to Farnharn in 1908 as Rector of St. Andrew's and immediately set about persuading his parishioners that they not only needed a community centre, but could raise the money to pay for one. Churchwarden George Frederick Roumieu, who lived at Bethune House, donated a plot ofland in Union Road and by November 1909 the building was ready. The Heraid report is accompanied by a copy of this particular photograph, which it credits to the Farnham photographer George Haie, who's business was at No. 24 The Borough.

55. The finished Church House, along with the new Gostrey Meadow, in about 1911. A public recreation ground for the town had been proposed in 1908. Until then the area we now knowand love was simply a muddy field, used mainly for the deposit of road sweepings. Added to which it was proving an embarrasment to the local council. The first impression visitors had of Farnham upon leaving the railway station was this eyesore. It did nothing for a town attempting to attract the relatively new industry oftourism. Work began on the Meadow at the beginning ofl91O and gifts poured in from well-wishers. It was opened to the public in October 1910 and, as you can see in the photo, is already taking shape, although the drinking fountain, designed by Harold Falkner, has yet to be installed.

56. From Union Road we move into South Street, which was built in 1869 to link the station and the town centre, following the opening of the railway twenty years earlier. In this postcard, published in 1903, we are looking up South Street towards the junction with The Borough and East Street. On the extreme right are the newly-built Council Offices, while between them and the Methodist Church is 'Montrose', for many years the home of Mr. Arthur Rose, the seed merchant. In 1926 the Council acquired his house for the newlyformed Rating and Valuation Department. On the other side ofthe street are the premises ofE. Beale, the miller, who was also based at Frensham Mills. Mr. Beale sold hay, straw, malt, hops, guano and nitrate soda. His South Street site had, unti11885, been Farnham's old cricket ground.

57. Farnharn Urban District Council first met in their new Council building on 2nd December 1902, although it was in a committee room upstairs as the council chamber wasn't quite finished. The new building was officially opened by na less a person than the Archbishop of Canterbury, farmer Bishop Randall Davidson, on Friday, 13th February 1903. He had already agreed to perform the opening ceremony before being raised to this most honourable position. The Councillors could hardly believe their good fortune. As Bill Ewbank Smith summed it up in 'Edwardian Farnharn': 'It is something like a village squire, on his way to open the village hall, being made President of the United States'. As you can see from this postcard, which was sent in 1907, the Fire Station, with its two large doors, was also situated at the Council Offices.

58. Looking down South Street at the row of shops which, in the early 1980's, were demolished to make way for Sainsbury's new supermarket. The photograph is believed to have been taken in 1902, when Ernest Langham had been in business for ten years. Hanging outside his shop can be seen a selection of the postcards he sold, several of which are featured elsewhere in this baak. Just past Stratford, the butcher, famous for his 'pickled tongues and corned beef, you can make out a roadsweeper with his broom and a milk cart carrying its large churns of milk. Behind them the sign proudly points the way to the town's first swimming bath, which had been built in celebration of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897. Mr. Langham na doubt made use of this himself, since he had been Secretary of the Farnham Swimming Club, whose members, until the opening of the bath, swam in a fenced-off area of the River Wey.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek