Farnham in old picture postcards

Farnham in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Annette Booth
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Surrey
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5910-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Farnham in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

59. The tail end of a procession wends its way from South Street into The Borough. It's the end of the procession, because the photographer was only anxious to capture Mr. George Elphick, the first churchwarden nearest the camera, on film. We believe that the procession is on its way to the parish church for a special memorial service, held, on Friday, 20th May 1910, at the hour of the late King's interment. It was thought that the photograph was much earlier, until we found another one of the same event, which included Boy Scouts, who did not come into existence until19D8. The Union Jack, at the top of the picture, is at half mast and it is for that reason and the account of the procession in the Farnharn Heraid of Saturday, May 21st 191 D, that leads us to believe that this is the correct occasion. In Iact, I think that the gentleman standing next to the man with the umbrella is the reporter from the Heraid - he's busy making notes in a little book!

60. East Street is the area that has seen most change over recent years. The 1960's and 1970's gave us Woolmead and the loop road behind it, while the 1980's saw the construction of Dogflud Way and the demolition of The Regal Cinema. Our postcard depiets a well-known corner of East Street in the year 1903. Rose & Son, the corn and seed merchants, had traded for more than a hundred years from this same building befare it was demolished in the 1960's. The firm is still in business in 1994,just a stone's throw from their old premises. Next to Rose's you can see the family butcher's shop of MI. George Hawkins, who is, na doubt, the gentleman standing on the pavement giving instructions to his errand boy. I love all the dogs hanging around, ever hopeful for a few scraps, or perhaps even ready to pounce at the open counter for somcthing a little more substantial when no-one is looking!

East Street, Farnham.

61. East Street in about 1906. This wider view ofthe street shows more clearly The Royal Deer public house, which was built, like so many in the town, but in East Street in particular, to cater for thousands of thirsty soldiers from the newly-established Army garrison at Aldershot. Within a few years of the Army's arrival in 1854 about a dozen pubs had opened up in East Street alone and we can see at least four of them in this picture. On the farright of the postcard is The Royal Deer; almast in the centre, The Marlborough Head at No. 14; on the left, with a white name board, The Green Man; and The Unicorn, which had been closed by the magistrates in 1903 and was now MI. William Ayling's eycle works - hence the bicycJe hanging outside. MI. Ayling would charge you eight guineas and make your eycle to order!

62. East Street sorne time after 1913, when The Electric Theatre had opened behind No. 8. Mr. W.E. Home, M.P., had declared the new cinema officiatly open on Saturday, 8th March and the manager, Mr. Courtney Cracker, was able to offer free admittance to the public that day. The first advertised programme included 'A Canine Sherlock Holmes' and 'Sally Arme's Strategy'. For a while The Electric Theatre competed with The Pal ace, a cinema which had been built in Bear Lane in 1911 at the rear of Mr. Marden's skating rink. Besides being Farnham's first purpose-built cinema, The Palace had the distinction of being constructed in an unbelievably short time. Just 39 days after Caesar Bros. demolished the badminton courts and started building, the cinema opened to the public. The Palace merged with The Electric Theatre in November 1913, retaining its name, but moving into the East Street premises.

63. By the time we reach the year 1932, East Street is looking much more the way many of you may remember it. That is, until the Woolmead development changed the face of it for ever in the 1960's! The street is becoming considerably busier with parked vehicles adding to the congestion. Indeed, we can clearly see the white lines which were painted on the roads in 1925 because of the increasing traffic, Behind the fingerpost canjust be seen one ofthe first telephone kiosks. These had also made their appearance in Farnham in 1925. At the time this photo was taken, plans were wel! under way for a new super cinema in East Street, to be known as The Regal. This was opened on Friday, 31st March 1933 by na less a celebrity than the Bishop of Guildford. The old Palace Cinema closed, only to be rebuilt and re-opened three years later as the County Cinema. For years Farnharn had two cinemas within a few doors of each other - today it hasnone.

64. The year is 1896 and members ofFarnham's Volunteer Fire Brigade stand proudly beside their newly-acquired Merryweather steam lire engine in this photograph from the Museum of Farnharn. The 300 gallon double cylinder 'Greenwich' engine cost f479 and served the Brigade weil for many years. The story goes that, even as the inauguration ceremony was being held, the new engine was called out to a large lire and returned the following morning with its brand new paintwork blistered and blackened. At this time the Fire Brigade station was in East Street and its members included, from right to Jeft: George Windibank, Harry Luffry, Tom Hudson, Alf Bailey, George Elliot, Ernest Edwards, John Chitty, Capt. Elliot, John Hawkes and Harry Patriek. The other members of the brigade are unknown.

65. The Wheelwright's Shop on the corner of Bast Street and St. Cross, which was made famous by George Start in his baak of the same name, published in 1923. Writing under the pseudonym of George Bourne, so as not to upset his customers, he teils how the shop belonged to his grandfather. also named George, who lived in the cottage next door. The business passed to his fatherin 1865, and to hirn on his father's death in 1884. William Goatcher had become a partner in the firm in 1891, but had passed away by 1916, when we believe this picture was taken. The signwriting above the shop indicates that the motor age has weil and truly arrived and Sturt wrote of the changes: 'An entirely new era had begun in my ancient business, needing an active man to face the roet-and-branch adjustments called for.' That man was William Arnold, who joined hirn in 1916 and eventually bought hirn out in 1920, leaving Sturt free to do what he loved best - write.

66. Swain & Jones, automobile engineers, at No. 38 East Street soon after they came to Farnham in 1908. The firm was started by John Lewis Jones and Frank Swain, wh

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek