Ferryhill in old picture postcards

Ferryhill in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Anne Dixon
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Durham
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5903-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ferryhill in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. Durham Road, Chilton, circa 1900, from a card postmarked 1907. The white railway crossing gates can be seen behind the horse drawn traps and beyond the crossing, on the left, is Chilton Buildings Board School built in 1878.

50. Windlestone Road Ends, circa 1920, fram a series of postcards praduced araund 1920.

51. Windlestone Colliery, circa 1910. A panoramic view showing the fine timber headgear to the main shaft along with the winding house. It also shows the impressive chimney used for raising steam, the driving force for the colliery winding engines and most other colliery machinery. Sunk in 1876-1877 for Messrs Pease and Partners, the main shaft was sunk to the Ganister Seam some 323 feet below the Brockwell and bored a further 195 feet, looking for additional workable coal seams, without success. In the late 1880s, following a collapse in coal prices, the mine was 'laid idle' and remained so until around 1895. During this period of closure Windlestone Village became almost deserted. After the mine's re-opening, the village again prospered unti11931, when following another collapse in coal prices, the colliery was again 'laid idle'; this time it never re-opened.

52. Rushyford, circa 1900, from a card postmarked 1916. Photographed from the Sedgefield to Bishop Auckland road, it shows the Eden Arms Hotel behind the trees on the left and the cottages straight ahead. Note the horse drawn trap standing outside the cottages.

53. Windlestone Hall, circa 1900, from a card postmarked 1912, a mansion of ashlar stone with a colonnade of Doric pillars at the front. The Hall was the seat of the Eden family for over a hundred years and birthplace of the former Prime Minister, the late Sir Anthony Eden. It was built for Sir Robert Johnson Eden, Bart., about the year 1830, on the site of a former manor house. The cost, including the handsomely laid out grounds in which it stood, was at the time, the staggering sum of f40,OOO.

54. The Village School, Leasingthorne, circa 1910, a Board School, for mixed and infants, built in 1878 at a cast of f2,136 including the site. It was a brick building consisting of one large and two small classrooms having accommodation for 210 pupils in the mixed and 90 in the infants'. By 1894 the average attendance was 130 mixed and 70 infants. Note the high bell tower on the left gable. Demolished 1970s.

55. Ash Terrace, Leasingthorne, circa 1910, two-roomed colliery houses with pantry to the rear, built around 1870. They were of brick construction with distinctive wood cladding on the front elevation and consequently aften referred to as the 'Wood Houses'. This terrace was adjacent to the main road through the village. Demolished around 1964.

56. Yew Terrace and Larch Terrace, Leasingthorne, circa 1910. Yew Terrace is in the foreground and Larch in the distance. These four-roomed houses with a pantryextension to the rear were built by the coal company (Bolckow Vaughan) around 1870 to house the additional miners required as the colliery developed. These two terraces were to the rear of the village, facing Leeholrne. Demolished circa 1968.

57. Eden Terrace, Leasingthorne, circa 1910, a twelve house terrace, built piecemeal between 1904 and 1912. This view shows the terrace when only seven houses were complete. In the centre can be seen the 'Gil Cart' delivering oil for household lamps prior to the installation of electricity.

58. The village shops and cottage, Leasingthorne, circa 1910. Built around 1870, the lower shop was the original general dealer's and the upper shop the butcher's. Note the stabie type half door, typical of most butcher's shops at that time. In 1914, the butcher's became a second general dealer's and both shops continued to serve the village in that capacity until the 1970s, when both closed and became private houses.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek