Folkestone in old picture postcards

Folkestone in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Martin Easdown and Linda Sage
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3731-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Folkestone in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  >  |  >>

49. Close to the Inner Harbour, Beach Street was an interesting area of pubs and cafés that was to be sadly destroyed by enemy action in the Second World War. One of its casualties was Walt er Tame's refreshment and coffee house at 11 Beach Street, which was flattened by a parachute mine on 11th November 1940, killing Mr. Tame, his business partner Charles Rainsford and their wives. This photograph dates from about 1908, just six months or so after the restaurant was opened in the former Queens Head public house. The pub, which dated back to at least 1861 (though the building was much older), was closed by the licensing authorities on 28th December 1907 and WalterTame had been its licensee for the last twenty years. He was allowed to remain in the building after closure by brewers Nalder & Collyer to run his new café and in 1920 acquired the premises outright for ;(700. By the time of their demise WalterTame and 11 Beach Street had been associated with each other for over fifty years.

SO. Like all large towns during the Victorian and Edwardian periods, Folkestone bristled with numerous public houses: in 1903 for example there were 140 alcohollicences issued. Twenty-six of these were situated in the crowded area around the harbour and fishmarket, but during the nationwide purging of public houses between 1903 and 1914 a number of the more disreputable premises were closed. One of those that escaped the axe was the well-run South Foreland at 4 Seagate Street, pictured on this rare photograph from about 1910. The South Foreland was in existence from at least 1 824 and had been in the hands of the [ordan family since 1862. Harry [ordan, who was at the helm at the time of this picture, was licensee from 1883 until 1913. Indeed the pub, which was regarded as one of the better hostelries in the area, and was sometimes even frequented by the 'toffs' ofthe West End, remained in the hands of the Iordan's until it was completely destroyed by a German parachute mine on 11 th November 1940. All that remained was the cellar, which was fenced off and colonised by Buddleia until covered over by a car park in the 19S0s.

SI. Another Falkestone public house, the Red Cow, is pictured just before the First World War with licensee George Summerfield on the right. Mr. Summerfield was landlord between 1912 and 191 7, having previously been at the Royal Standard for twenty years. The Red Cow was situated in the former spa village of Foord that had long been swallowed up by residential Falkestone, and was the lodging house for the few visitors who came to taste the chalybeate water. The pub dated back to 1682 and the original building still survives behind the Victorian brick frontage, which was added by brewers Alfred Leney of Dover in the 1880s. In spite of a few troubles over the years, including serious flooding by the nearby Pent Stream and bomb damage during two world wars, the Red Cow remains open and has had its bar area recently extended with the addition of a conservatory.

52. Returning to the seafront, this most unusual postcard shows a view of a lady skater and her instructor (on the right) skating along the deck of the Victoria Pier in 1909. What with the uneven planks and the gaps between them it must have been a bit of a hair-raising experience! Roller-skating had first taken off in the mid-18 7 Os, but then waned in popularity before a second craze exploded in 1908. Robert Forsyth, the enterprising manager of the pier, taak advantage of this by providing a temporary rink in the Pier Pavilion during the winter of 1908-1909. Having proved its popularity, the rink was to remain in situ until May 1909, when the pavilion had to be prepared for the summer season.

S3. The success of the temporary skating rink on the pier led Robert Forsyth to construct this permanent rink in the gardens to the west of the pier entrance. Local builders Messrs. Daniel Baker & Co began work during the winter of 1909-1910 to a design by Reginald Pope and the Victoria Pier Olympia Skating Rink was opened to the public at Whitsun 1910. The rink measured 160 x 72 feet and the entrance fee of 1 s included hire of skates and tuition from a team of seven smartly attired instructors (who ensured customers only skated anti -clockwise). As can be seen on this rare postcard view by Glover, there was also a spectator area and electric lighting and bunting, while refreshments were available from the pier kiosk. Roller hockey matches and horse races using basket horses were also a feature of the rink, which survived until the demi se of the pier in the Second World War. A

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek