Freshwater in old picture postcards

Freshwater in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Joyce E. Lester
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Isle of Wight
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2318-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Freshwater in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Fatringford circa 1898. This lovely picture of Farringford is as it looked when the Poet Alfred Lord Tennyson lived there surrounded by many different varietles of trees and shrubs, The face of the house, with the great magnolia and roses twining round the windows of Tennyson's own special rooms, remained almost the same for many years after the poet's death in 1892. The house remained in the Tennyson family until after the Second World War, when it was finally sold and became known as the Farringford Hotel. However, one may still visit the poet's study and trace his footsteps along the lanes around, following the path to the downs he loved 80 much; where on a dull and misty day and with a vivid imagination one may even see a tall figure wearing a black cloak and a large black hat emerge from the mist only to disappear again! (Photo A.H. Kirk.)

10. Tennyson's Bridge circa 1897. This attractive little rustic bridge was a most ingenious device of the poet to secure the privacy for which he craved, without contravening the !aw of the land. There was a short right of way running through the Farringford Estate where strangers used to prowl, approaching him with their greetingsand questions. Tennyson set to work and lowered the level of the lane, where it crossed the path he used for his daily wa1ks and then bridged the gap above. Thereafter, a glimpse of a tall figure striding rapilily overhead was all the visitor could hope for and these glimpses are, supposedly, still seen today! (photo A.J. Kirk.)

11. Freshwater Railway Station circa 1910. This was the last line of the network of the Island Railways to be opened for passengers on 20th July 1889 'for the convenience of the people living in the West Wight'. The carriages outside the station carried visitors to the local hotels in which they had chosen to stay; as one can ob serve it was quite a busy terminus and a great asset to Freshwater. It was a single line track and sometimes on the way to Newport the driver would stop his train and pop over the nearby farm to collect his eggs - all heads leaning out of the windows of the train, wondering what was going on. When the railway closed down in 1955, it was a sad blow for Freshwater and district and many businesses suffered. On the arrival of the midday train during the season, dozens of visitors walked from the station and through the village on their way to Colwell Bay thus patronising the local shops. There is a little bocklet entitled 'The Great Isle-of-Wight Train Robbery', which is most interesting.

12. The War Knight came to rest off Watcombe Bay, Freshwater on the 5th April 1918 after having struck a mine. She had previously been in collision with another vessel whilst in convoy out in the ChanneL War Knight, a 'Merchantman', carried a mixed cargo which included rubber, barrels of oil, pork and boxes of lard. Much of this was washed ashore at Freshwater Bay. Needless to say the Bay was alive with activity and it was a free for all before the goods were salvaged by the Authorities and sold locally. Unfortunately, there were a number of court cases for not having declared the wreek and one woman, when questioned, was found to have three legs of pork concealed in her chimney; she also had some boxes of lard, but was dealt with leniently after pleading she had six children to feed - her fine was 15/-. Strangely enough, after sixty-five years the stricken vessel has just given up another bale of rubber which came ashore at Freshwater Bay - a reminder of the First World War.

13. Freshwater National School, Group IV circa 1915. The children do not look very happy, do they? This school, built of natural stone, dates from 1850, the pupils having been transferred from their humble beginnings at Moa Place School Green, which consisted of two thatched cottages in a poor state of repair. The new school had a master's house attached, where one can see the tin bath hanging on the wall. This was brought into the house on Saturday night for the usual weekly bath, taking place in front of the kitchen fire! In more recent times the school has always been referred to as ? All Saint's'.

14. The Drill Hall circa 1915. The new Drill Hall in Freshwater was erected in 1899 for the Artillery Volunteers as a memorial to Mrs. Cameron, the well known lady photographer, who subscribed ±:100. The building cost about f.900 and was opened by Col. Sir Charles Seely, another generous supporter of the building fund; Lord Tennyson having laid the foundation stone, After the Second World War the Drill Hall was made redundant and in about 1961 the Freshwater and Totland Parish Councils purchased the property. lt was finally converted into the Memorial Hall, as it stands today, for the benefit of the local community,

15. Old Mill Freshwater circa 1880. This mill stood in the field off Windmill Lane, which leads off from Summers Lane. Following the grassy path around the windmill brought one to a house called The Hawkridge, where at that time lived a niece of Lord Tennyson, named Mrs. Agnes Grace WeId. When the mill was demolished the stone was used in the building of 'Stonewind Farmhouse' nearby, The existence of this windmill is marked on the early Island maps.

16. Orchard Bros., circa 1930, proudly presenting their new vans, which had replaced the horse drawn vehicles used for deliveries. This building was erected circa 1845 and prior to Mr. Orchard opening his business in 1865 the house had been a private dwelling. To the left was the bakehouse and to the right the Post Office, of which Mr. Orchard was Post Master. Later the office included a branch agency for Waterhouse & Co., of Totland and a branch of Lloyd's Bank. Apart from grocery and provisions, other commodities were stock:ed, such as oil, coal, wines and spirits. Many wen known people were customers and at one time Poets Tennyson and Longfellow were in the shop together, Inside the shop, which is still in the hands of the Orchard family, there hangs an interesting clock, which in 1900 was presented to Örehard Bros., for winning the 'best baked Hovis' competition in the South. The baker at the time was a Mr. Harding, who received a gold medallion. Instead of numera1s the fiveminute sections spel1 the words 'Hovis Bread' and after eighty-three years the cloek is 'still going strong' and keeping good time.

17. Pound Green Freshwater circa 1906. Alongside Farringford Lodge runs a footpath known as 'Granny's mead', leading to Pound Green. Granny Groves who was ninety-four in 1864, lived on the Farringford Estate - from whom, maybe, the footpath acquired its name. In the picture one can see the white wall of the pound into which straying cattie were driven. The ivy clad pound still stands on the green having been well maintained. Some of the cottages around the green still remain, One of partienlar interest is the charming little seventeenth century Lea Cottage. It was here that Mary Hillier was bom in 1847 and became a personal maid to Julia Margaret Cameron of Dimbola Lodge, Freshwater Bay, featuring in many of her photographs. Mrs. Cameron was always careful in choosing her maids for their looks.

" ~::.;

. t_':~ ......

18. School Green circa 1906. Children on their way to the National School, which was situated about a hundred yards along the road ahead. The litt1e thatched cottage called 'Dak Cottage' was built in 1794, but was unfortunately destroyed by fire around 1909. The three houses shown had already been turned into shops and later further shops were built alongside taking in the site of the burnt out cottage. These new buildings were similar in design. One opened as Miss Newbold's Millinery Shop, the middle one as Lithgow's Bakery and the third was McClellons photographic studio. During the early part of the 1914-1918 War this studio was completely wrecked having been struck by a shell, which ricocheted after being fired from one of the western forts. Happily there were no casualties.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek