Freshwater in old picture postcards

Freshwater in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Joyce E. Lester
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Isle of Wight
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2318-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Freshwater in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. Colweil Common from Gorse Hill circa 1912. The gentleman with his bicvele is Mr. Schwind, a well known resident and owner of the London House Drapery store and outfitters. In the distance is Co1weil Bay Inn and a little way beyond is the Baptist Chapel, which was rebuilt and enlarged about 1914. Alongside one of the outer walls there is a headstone in memory of 'Sheppie Paul' as he was known, who for many years tended the sheep on the lush Tennyson Downs. 'Sheppie Paul' lived in a little cottage at the foot of the downs and although only reeeiving half-a-crown a week managed to save and was able to leave an endowment for the poor children of Freshwater to help with their Apprenticeships. The white cottage to the left is Rockstone Cottage, built in 1790 and now a Private Hotel. The left hand finger of the signpost points to the track across the common and down to Fort Warden, which is now a holiday centre, During the Second World War part of the common was cleared for use as allotments. Although no gorse remains on Co1well Common, 'Gorse Hill' still exists,

20. H.M.S. Gladiator 1908. One of the worst naval disasters off the Island was that in which H.M.S. Gladiator, second class cruiser, bound for Portsmouth, was rammed in the Solent off Yarmouth by the American liner St. Paul with the loss of twenty-seven of the crew, including one officer. The disaster occurred in the early aftemoon of Saturday April 25th, 1908 during a blinding snow storm. The Gladiator began to heel over and heavier loss of life was prevented by beaching the vessel as quickly as possible off Black Rock, just inside Fort Victoria Pier. Magnificent rescue work was carried out by members of the Royal Engineers stationed at the fort. The Admiralty presented the officers and men of the 22nd Company Royal Engineers with a silver salver and the Gladiator's galley which had been restored, in recognition of the effective rescue work, Efforts to raise the Gladiator continued throughout the summer and the cruiser was refloated on October 3rd and towed to Portsmouth.

21. The gentleman who sent this card, which arrived in Freshwater on January 4th, 1903, left his home in Freshwater Bay for the Falkland Islands, with the object of exploring the possibilities of establishing a sheep station on the Islands, On the reverse side of the card three corners have been franked with the Freshwater Station stamp, the fourth bears a penny red Queen Victoria Falkland Islands stamp and a posting date of December 1902.

22. Colwell Bay circa 1906, situated on the north side of the West Wight. This beach owes its popularity to the long stretch of sand, good bathing and boating facilities for the visitor and its unsophisticated surroundings, In the background stands Fort Albert, built around 1857 as part of the defences of the Solent and containing at that time twenty-nine guns. This fort standing on the water's edge has now been converted into penthouses, commanding extensive views of the shipping in the Solent. The tracks spanning the large concrete blocks, as shown in the foreground of the picture, were used for the unloading of the heavy cannon circa 1890, which were then mounted on to gun-earts with iron wheels not much larger than a car wheel, but about a foot wide to help preventing them from sinking into the ground when making the perilous joumeys to the various forts, using heavy horses borrowed from local farmers.

23. The Beacon circa 1897. On the highest part of Tennyson's Down stood Farringford Beacon, sometimes referred to as Nodes Beacon, the cliffs here rising to the height of 483 feet above sea-level. This Beacon only served as a landmark by day, for no light was displayed upon its turret at night. However, serving another purpose it was used as the 'visitors book' of this locality, the supports and even the turf around having been cut and carved with the names or initials of the Poet Laureate's numerous admirers, Looking at the picture one can piek out several letters, The Beacon was removed from this site, to make way for the new Tennyson Monument. However, to mark the Anniversary of the Queen's Silver Jubilee in 1977, the West Wight Rotary Club erected a reduced scale replica of the Beacon at the foot of the High Down, where it could not be seen from the sea, This model was voluntarily built by craftsmen in the employment of Messrs. W.F. Broomfield Ltd., and at the side stands all that remains from the oid structure. (photo A.H. Kirk.)

24. Tennyson's Cross 1897. This cross stands on the site formally occupied by the Nodes Beacon. It is constructed of Cornish granite and stands thirty-eight feet high - the choice of the memorial having been made by the late Poet's son Hallam Lord Tennyson. Local farmers with their heavy horses made the tedious journey to the downs with the stone. On August 6th, 1897, the birthday of Alfred Lord Tennyson, the Dean of Westminster unveiled the handsome lonic cross which bears the following inscription: 'In memory of Alfred Lord Tennyson This Cross is raised, A Beacon to Sailors, By the People of Freshwater and other friends in England and America.' (Photo A.H. Kirk.)

25. Tennyson's Farm circa 1905, always referred to by the poet as "I'he Home Farm'. The long stone cottage, with a deep thatch and old barns around it, lies at the foot of the kitchen garden, where Tennyson made an arbour for his wife in the early days of their coming to Freshwater, Here he and his wife used to sit and admire the white lilac, one of the poet's favourite flowers. A Mrs. Dirnent lived in the cottage about 1905 where she kept a 'large famüy' of hens, ducks, Guinea-fowl and peacocks, Of interest are the thatching spars soaking in the farm pond, weighted down with heavy stones.

26. Dimbola circa 1926. The home for about fourteen years of Mrs. Julia Margaret Carneron, bom in Calcutta 1815, dying in Ceylon in 1879. It was about 1860 when she settled in Freshwater and first took up photography. Having purchased two houses, she afterwardsjoined them together by a castellated tower. lt was not long before Dimbola Lodge was ivy clad and surrounded by shrubs, The Camerons were great friends of the Tennysons, therefore Mrs, Cameron was able to photograph most of the Poet's important guests, She worked diligently and achieved much publicity and success as a pioneer of photography. lt would appear that relatives and followers dedicated to the arts occupied a large part of the area between Freshwater Bay and the Briary at Middleton, which was built by G.F. Watts the artist.

27. Norton Green - Annual Outing circa 1925. Life centred round the Mission Hall in this little ham1et. Built of natural stone in 1917, a brick extension was added at a later date. Each Sunday the bell rang to remind the children it was time for Sunday School, which was conducted by the Misses Everett, who lived in the neighbouring house. These two ladies organised meetings and events for many years, There were games evenings for both boys and girls, social evenings for all, Christmas parties and of course the annual outings, for which money could be paid in weekly. The mothers' meeting took place one afternoon a week, conducted by the ladies of St. Andrew's Church, finishing with 'a cup of tea and a bun'. Meetings of the Men's Brotherhood took place in the hall, which was also used as a polling station when necessity arose. As the children grew up and mostly left the Green, the changing pattern of life caused the decline of the Mission Hall, which has now been converted into a private dwelling.

28. An outing to Colwe1l1925. This photograph was taken at 'Rectory Corner' Stroud, and the people shown in the picture used to spend their holidays in the stone cottage behind the Parish Hall, alongside the Old Rectory in Victoria Road. Nearby stands Stroud House, where in 1899 the death occurred of Mr. Arthur Tennyson, aged eighty-five, the last but one of the five brothers of the late Poet Laureate, to whom he bore a striking resemblance, This part of Victoria Road was quite a flourishing shopping centre in 1890. Alongside the crocus field there was Mr. Jones the butcher. Next came Wellington's chemist and newsagents (with hair cutting rooms), then Grantham's gents' outfitters (also boot and shoe warehouse), Also there were Leicester's - grocers, Wilson - sadler, Smith the oil merchant, china and ironmongery, who supplied oil to Farringford, and Iastly Makings - milliners and dressmakers. The area is now completely residential, but Mr. Jones' butchers shop can be recognised by the coloured bricks.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek