Freshwater in old picture postcards

Freshwater in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Joyce E. Lester
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Isle of Wight
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2318-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Freshwater in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

i FRESHWATER B.Al' (Isle of Wight). - After a stor n,

29, Freshwater Bay - After a storm 1916. Driven during a furious gale past dangerous rocks at Freshwater Bay on November 5th, a large fullrigged 1,800 tons sailing ship, named 'Carl', grounded so close inshore that her crew of twenty-five were able to escape along the bowsprit on to the lawn of Glenbrook at the Bay. The crew were taken to Mrs. Dowty at the Temperanee Hotel (no rum there) where they remained for several days. The ship remained in this position for about eleven months before being towed away. Explosives were used to blow a gap in the natural bar of rock which stretches across the bay, enabling the 'Carl' to be towed through to the open sea. One can see that the promenade is beginning to break up again, partly due to the battering by the 'Carl' before she came to rest. In this same year coastal flotsam produced kegs of rum, collected by loeal fishermen and handed over to the Authorities!

30. The Mall, Gate Lane, Freshwater Bay circa 1909. The Mall opposite the thatched church runs as far as the junction of Victoria Road and Bedbury Lane. Halfway along the Mall there was, at the turn of the century, a most interesting shop occupied by a Mr. Gubbins, who was official piano tuner to Queen Victoria at Osborne. Apart from a library agency his stock in trade included artists' materials, fancy goods, bookbinding, printing and a news agency. He also sold pianos, musie and pictures, whilst on the forecourt stood a line of basinettes for hire to visitors. The shop on the Mall is still there, part ofwhieh is the Freshwater Bay Post Office, transferred from Orchard Bros. in the 1950's. To the left of the junction runs the Primrose path or Tennyson Lane. Following this path and turning left at the little JUstic bridge, brings one to the foot of the downs where it is only a short clirnb to the summit before deseending to Watcombe and Freshwater Bays,

31. The Causeway, Freshwater circa 1897. This lovely view has changed very little since the turn of the century. The Parish Church is situated behind the trees, to the right of the old stone cottage. The Freshwater to Newport railway line crossed the road approaching the bridge, the gates being manually operated by the crossing keeper, who lived in a tiny cottage alongside the track. There used to be a small wooden footbridge for pedestrians, but this was replaced with a 'kissing gate' in 1916. During the severe storms in 1916 the sea wall at Freshwater Bay was breached; the sea broke through flooding the whole of the Yar valley. The railway embankment was washed away and the water reached within inches of the ceiling in the Level Crossing Keeper's cottage.

32. Memorial Service, Freshwater Church 1910. The news of the death of King Edward vn on May 6th plunged the Island into rnourning for a much loved Monarch. Having spent a good deal of his childhood at Osborne, and his love of the sea made him closely connected with the Island. This Memorial Service, with the parade and inspeetion of the Island Volunteers, took place about May 20th. The building on the right of the foreground was the old malthouse, owned by Mr. John Emberly, a brewer of Church Place in 1883.

33. The year 1922 saw the removal of Lloyd's Bank Ltd., from the Solicitor's Offices, as shown in the background, to its present position at the junction of Queen's Road and Tennyson Road. Previously the newly converted premises had been a butcher's shop. Next door to the Bank in Tennyson Buildings, built in 1893, there was a Social Club, as worded on the lantern outside. Then comes the Boot Store, where they gave 'sterling value for ready mades" and carried out repairs with 'neatness and tenacity', (photo A.H. Kirk.)

34. Kingsbridge, Freshwater 1901. The funeral procession of soldiers killed at Fort Redoubt, Freshwater Bay, where a terrible accident occurred on June 25th. During competitive firing, the breach-block of a 12 pounder quick-firing gun blewout, killing Capt. A. Le Messurier Bray, staff instructor of gunnery, three members of the Artillery gun team and injuring six other members, including Col Nixon R.A., commanding the forces in the Island. The cortege is shown proceeding along Brookfield Road towards the Station, on its way to Hook Hill and the Parish Church. The building behind the flagpole was the letter sorting office for the Old Post Office and the little low building beyond was 'Poodle Cooper's' Blacksmith's shop.

35. Needies and Lighthouse circa 1909. When the Trinity Board ereeted the new lighthouse on the most westerly rock in 1858, a base of sixty feet in diameter had to be levelled for the foundations. The granite blocks used for the structure were prepared at Totland Bay, where a wooden Pier had been built for purposes connected with the construction of the lighthouse. A Mr. Barehard was appointed lighthouse keeper and on the night of January 1st, 1859 the rust friendly waming light was seen, Previously the old lighthouse stood on the NeedIes Down, in which Argand Lamps (a bumer admitting air within a cylindrical flame) were used, but the light was of ten obscured by fog. A large bell, weighing nearly two tons, was erected at the Needles lighthouse in 1896, to warn rnariners in foggy weather. The former Needies battery and roeket testing sites are now open to the public, where recently, an interesting museum has been established. (photo A.H. Kirk.)

36. Alum Bay Pier circa 1906. The man walking along the pier towards the camera, Mr. C. Calloway, worked at the Royal Needies Hotel, which was destroyed by fire on the 20th February 1910 and was not rebuilt. Pleasure boats from Yarmouth visited Alum Bay, where passengers could disembark at the pier to buy souvenirs and collect samples of the renowned coloured sands. However, during the early part of the Second World War, the middle section of the pier was demolished as a deterrent to enemy landings. Eventually the rest disintegrated. Above the coloured cliffs is a monument paying tribute to Marconi's success after he set up the first Wireless Transmitting Station in the world in 1897. The station handled its first paid message in 1898 and in the same year, the new-fangled wireless received Royal Patronage with Queen Victoria using it to keep in touch with the Prince of Wales, who was aboard the Royal Yacht.

37. Headen Hall circa 1909. Situated on the west side of Alum Bay, these premises were always referred to as the 'Squire's House'. A Mr. Squire rented the Cliffs of Headen Hili for several years, the sands being of considerable economie value, their whiteness and purity rendering them particularly suitable for the making of glass, The cliffs were extensively worked and Mr. Squire recorded that between 1850 and 1855 nearly twenty-two thousand tons were shipped from Yarmouth, principally to the Bristol and London Glass Houses. The sand for shipment was stored in the 'Sand House' nearby Yarmouth Bridge. This old stone building is now part of Hayles Yacht Repairing business. (Photo A.H. Kirk.)

38. Freshwater Parish Church circa 1895. Dedicated to 'All Saints' this handsome church has, in one form or another, been keeping a watchful eye over the village for about nine hundred years. The oldest part of the church is the south-east Chapel, built in the eleventh century after the Norman Conquest. Two further chapels were added in the thirteenth century, whilst the close of the fifteenth century saw the addition of north and south porches, which were lost in the restoration of 1874. In some of the earlier pictures one can see the Elizabethan windows. In the south wall of the South Chapel there is a Sepulchral recess monument designed for the interment of Richard de Afton, successor to William de Afton, who held the manor circa 1224. There are some interesting monuments in the church to the Tennyson Family, who worshipped here for many years. (Photo A.H. Kirk.)

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek