Freshwater in old picture postcards

Freshwater in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Joyce E. Lester
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Isle of Wight
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2318-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Freshwater in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. The year 1914. Unloading Shingles from Tanner's Barge at Kings Manor jetty. This is one of the lovely views encountered whilst walking along the bridle path, through Becketts copse towards Yarmouth, formerly the old railway line, and what adelight it is to be here, There are many sea and fresh water birds on the river, their calls competing with the song of the land birds in the copse, whilst above, arnongst the pines, the red squirrels scamper. In the early spring the copse is yellow with primroses, the colour gradually changing with the arrival of the bluebells. Looking back towards the bridge, silhouetted against the sky, is the Parish Church and the noble range of downland between Freshwater and the Needles, presented to the nation by Ha1lam Lord Tennyson in 1927 in memory of his illustrious father, the Poet Laureate.

40. Queen's Road circa 1908 from opposite the drive of Middleton House, an eighteenth century building with several later additions, The 'rnonkey tree' as shown is still in existence and beyond is a well preserved attractive shop front with its coloured and pictured tiling. The following building is now the Conservative Club then the road leads to Brookfield Corner. In the foreground behind the trees on the right is where, on the 31st August 1906, Sir Godfrey Baring M.P. opened the new Council School, accomrnodating one hundred and fifty children. This school was considerably enlarged in 1939 and has now become the Freshwater Middle SchooL

41. The opening of the Soldiers Club, erected at thejunction of High Street and Avenue Road, took place on May 3rd, 1915. This facility must have been a welcome change from barrack room life for the soldiets stationed in the area. The Royal Warwickshire Regiment is shown complete with band, also represented were members of the Guides and Scouts. The site of the old club is now occupied by the commodious West Wight Social Club.

42. Station Road and Station, Freshwater 1913. Before one reaches the auction rooms, which are still in operation, is the Freshwater Pumping Station, the sewerage scheme having been completed in May 1905, after many difficulties and much opposition. Gillings the Bakery and Restaurant is now a laundrette. The Pet shop is still looking after the needs of the numerous domestic animals, having extended into the next shop which, for many years, had been an ironmengers. At the far end was Mr. Wilson the saddler, who closed down his business quite a long time ago. After the demolition of the Station premises, a new factory, known as the Acorn Spring Works, was built on the site. The old Signal Box, having been salvaged, was erected as a bus shelter on the right of the picture towards the corner. However, some time after, railway enthusiasts managed to get the box transferred to the Haven Street Railway Museum where it has been 'lovingly restored',

43. Golden Hill Fort circa 1909. There are several attractive footpaths around the perimeter of the old fort, commanding beautiful views of the Afton and Tennyson Downs, the Yar Valley, Hurst Castle and beyond. These footpaths lead one through the woods to different parts of the village. Originally the fort, camouflaged in Golden Gorse, was the Headquarters of Coastal Defence for the West Wight, the windmill, with a well of 173 feet below, taking charge of the water supply. When the War Department had no further use for the old batteries, the various forts were sold and this one now houses several small industrial businesses, However, fortunately for Freshwater, the Council acquired the land for use as a public Park, where several tree planting ceremonies took place; some of these trees having matured quite well whilst others, unfortunately, became the victims of vandals. (photo A.H. Kirk.)

.~-

.......

- -..-0;

_..::-.---

44. CoiweIl Bay Bathing Belles circa 1916. Before the turn of the century this Bay was very little visited, there being only a narrow lane through the Chine to the beach, The cliffs here are most interesting, being composed of layers of clay, and sandstone full of fossil shells and partially covered with long grass, It is possible to walk westward along the sea wall, past the old Ford Warden to Totland Bay. Walking in the other directionwould take one past the Forts Albert and Victoria, then on to Norton Spit where the sand is soft and silvery and a little ferry boat makes trips across Yarmouth Harbour.

45. Compton Manor Farm circa 1905. Travelling over the Military Hill from Freshwater Bay for about two and a half miles, one descends towards Compton where lies ahead this attractive old farm, nestling in a hollow at the foot of the downs. The deeds of the farm lands have been traeed back to William the Conquerer. However, in circa 1431 the owners were the De Compton family and there is a fifteenth century brass to Adam de Compton in the Freshwater Parish Church. The present occupier and his family have been operating the farm for over sixty years, the dairy herd, pigs and poultry forming part of the holding, together with the different herds of Black Galloways, which have been grazing the downs behind the Farm for about thirty years, With them were two old horses put out to grass - one of them reaching the ripe old age of thirty-seven. (photo A.H. Kirk.)

46. Florist's Shop, High Street, circa 1909. There has been a florist's shop on these premises for about a hundred years, the road having been called hops Hill before it became known as the High Street, where a Mr. Fry was in business in 1883. Here we see the loading of potted geraniums into Mr. Cooper's horse drawn van. Geraniums, one of the present owners specialities, are still being loaded into delivery vans of a different era. Heathfield House in Heathfield Road, a continuation of the High Street, was built as a holiday home for Mr. Bradley, who in 1881 became Dean ofWestminster. The Bradleys were great friends of the Tennysons, the children spending much time in both Farringford and Heathfield. Following the road to the junction and turning right, brings one to the former Church of St. Andrew, Norton.

47. Totland Bay Hotel circa 1902. For a hundred years this hotel stood overlooking the lovely Bay of Totland - then the bulldozers arrived. It opened in 1880 and was described as 'a fine noble brick building of modern construction, fitted with every comfort and convenience, with an ample supply of the Purest Spring Water from the neighbouring downs'. The Proprietor was one of the promoters who, in 1901, put forward a scheme for a Solent Tunnel at the western end of the Island. This Scherne, although welcomed by the County Council and other public authorities, failed to materialise. During the Second World War the hotel was mobilised as a hospital, where wounded from the French beaches were brought. There is still good safe bathing at Totland Bay and the walk along the cliffs round Hatherwood Point towards the Needies is most exciting and colourful, especially when the heather is in bIoom.

48. Lych-gate, Christ Church, Totland, circa 1909. Entrance to the Churchyard is by the Lych-gate which was designed by Percy Stone, who se work 'Architectural Antiquities of the Isle-of Wight' is much sought after by historians, The superstructure is the work of J.H. King, an Island Craftsman of Blackwater. Mrs. H.W. Bumett donated the gate in memory of her husband, who died in 1906 and was for many years elosely connected with the church. On the 10th March 1906 this gate was dedicated by the Bishop of Winchester. One may wonder why it was erected in such an unusual position relative to the church. This was accomplished with the assumption that a further extension would follow, thereby bringing the gate in alignment,

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek