Freshwater in old picture postcards

Freshwater in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Joyce E. Lester
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Isle of Wight
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2318-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Freshwater in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. Totland Bay circa 1904. Scenes like this may fascinate us today, but in the past they must have been a bit of an 'eyesore', especially to the 'gentry' who chose the West Wight in which to build their country houses for the 'lovely, lonely bays, innocent of lodginghouse or bathing machine!' The iron pier, built in 1880, forming a pleasant promenade for the visitor and a bazaar, well stocked with shells, fossils and ornaments made from Alum Bay sands, provided an added attraction. A few yards from where this picture was taken, stood a lifeboat station from which the 'Dove' lifeboat operated, this boat having been acquired by public subscription in 1878 and voluntarily marmed. In 1884 a new house was built and the RNLI provided a lifeboat named 'Charles Luccombe'. This station continued to operate until1924, when Yarmouth was se1ected as the Lifeboat Station for the West Wight and supplied with a motor lifeboat.

50. Christ Church, Totland Bay circa 1895. The church, erected in 1874/75, was a neat edifice built of natural stone, from a loeal quarry, in the Early English style of Architecture with a spiral tower and one bell. Over its comparatively Short life-span the church has undergone many important alterations and additions. At one stage the tower was removed and positioned on a stone base alongside the old octagonal vestry on the north-east side, where the bell was operated by hand. This base is still in existence, In 1869 a temporary church of wood was erected in Vork Road, where services were conducted until1875 when the new church was completed. This wooden structure was later resited on Totland Beach as a library and reading room.

51. Afton Manor circa 1880. Like other manors on the Isle of Wight the doods have been traeed back to before the Norman Conquest. The Urry family held the manor for about two hundred years and thereafter the house and lands changed hands many times. Here we see the Manor House with its attractive covering of ivy and the magnificent tree standing in front, at present trying very hard to survive. The procedure of grass cutting with the aid of a donkey was widely used before the introduetion of more sophisticated machines. The present owner has been in residence for about twelve years, Being a vintage car enthusiast, he has now established a permanent home for his 'relics of the past' at the Exhibition Centre, Calbourne. Although the previous owner of the Manor had a gleaming Rolls Royce 'rugged up' in one of the outbuildings, he was more interested in four legs rather than four wheels, being the proud owner of the 1922 Grand National Winner 'Music Hall', finally put out to grass in the Manor fields.

52. Flooding in Freshwater 1921. Showing one of Bert Hall's Carriers negotiating the water whilst making his daily run into Newport, watched by two locallads, Nobby Clark and Mark CarroL A similar occurrence was experienced in the 1950's when three inches of rain fell in an hour. After this incident the storm drains were enlarged and the brook widened, this operation having since proved adequate. The brook emerges from under the road where the posts are seen and fellows its course behind the houses to Bowbridge and the Yar Valley, To the left of the big tree are Veasey Cottages and the lane leading past the National School to Longhalves.

53. Winter in Freshwater circa 1915. The small boy pulling the sledge is Jack Dan, now almost an octogenarian, who very kindly loaned some of his pictures. The Palace was forrnerly the Assembly Hall where in 1904 Lord Tennyson attended a civic reception on the completion of his service as Governor Generalof Australia. The Palace opened about 1915 and provided film and stage shows as wen as dances, until the late 1920's when it was destroyed by fire, being replaced by a draper's and outfitter's shop. The late 1930's saw the erection of the Regent Cinema on the opposite side of the road where the trees once stood. With a midweek change of programme, this cinema proved very popular for some years, but as television became more widespread, the audiences dwindled and this led to the dosure and demolition of the Regent, leaving a site for the inevitable supermarket.

54. Freshwater Cricket Team, Afton Park 1900. For about thirty years the Cotton family owned the Georgian Manor House, which stood in the Park, and a number of headstones to this family may be seen in the Parish Churchyard. When a Mr. Tankard purchased the property circa 1899, he established a cricket pitch in the grounds and insisted that his staff should play, in fact it is said that he would not engage men unless they agreed, In Afton Park a large pit was opened to supply ballast during the construction of the railway. The pit showed about six feet of gravel, but yielded no fossils.

55. Four-in-hand circa 1909. 'Magnet', the local excursion coach, taking day trippers to varia us parts of the Island. One of the most popu1ar trips was a day at the Ashey Races, some sixteen miles away, with a brief stop in Newport. The driver was Mr. H. Cooper, whilst Mr. Sweet, standing, was the guard who had a seat and a brake at the back of the coach. The guard was also responsible for positioning the 'drag-shoe', which hung on a chain underneath the coach. This was an iron shoe which when placed under the wheel, prevented it from rotating when deseending a steep hill, Befare the railway came to the West Wight, there were two four horse coach routes marked on the map, one to Newport from Alum Bay, and one to Ventnor via Shalcombe, Hulverstone, Brighstone, Shorwell, Chale and then along the coast to Ventnor. There was not a Military Raad at that time and two journeys a week were made along these routes.

56. The year 1911. Unfortunately marred by the rain, celebrations took place at School Green Freshwater for the Coronation of King George V on 22nd June. There was a general holiday and much rejoicing throughout the Island. Beacons on the downs flashed the news 'The King is crowned', whilst off shore lay a wonderful naval pageant with flags of eighteen sea powers fluttering in the breeze. Commemorative Medals were presented by the Royal Governor, Princess Henry of Battenberg, to schoolchildren of theWight.

57. School Green circa 1880. Showing the two thatched cottages used as the local school until about 1850. These cottages were demolished to make way for new development which took place in 1896, and a stone dated 1767 from the old building was incorporated in the new building as a memorial to the former School House. The Wesleyan Chapel was demolished at a much later date and replaced by the present Wesley Hall in Brookfield Road.

58. Moa Place circa 1903. Showing the row of buildings and shops built in 1896 on the site of the demolished cottages and named Moa Place. Moa is a great wingless extinct New Zealand bird sirnilar to an emu. It was alive within the last two hundred and fifty years, for in the British Museum are some feathers in a chief's weapon brought from New Zealand by Capt, Cook and identified as having belonged to this bird. The houses on the right also have New ZeaIand narnes such as Hokitika, Wanganui, Oamarue, and Timarue Place. One can see in the picture the 'Coronation Oak', planted in 1901 to mark the crowning of Edward VII.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek