Freshwater in old picture postcards

Freshwater in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Joyce E. Lester
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Isle of Wight
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2318-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Freshwater in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. Photograph taken circa 1926 of Girl Guldes and Brownies in the grounds of Norton Lodge, Norton, the home of the Hollins farnily, who were connected with the Viyella Firm. Four of the daughters are represented in the picture, one being the Commissioner and another the Captain. In the 1930's the house and grounds were sold and developed as a holiday camp.

60. The Star Inn, Camp Road, Freshwater circa 1904. Formerly a dwelling house, changing to the Star Inn during the second half of the last century. Apart from the loca1s, the irm was also a popular rendezvous for troops stationed in the area. During the First World War beer was very scarce and whenever there was a delivery, the landlord would hoist a Union Jack which could be seen by the soldiers at Golden Hill Fort. One ean imagine the response! However, during the 1939-1945 campaign, the large Saloon of the Star was commandeered by the Army and used as their Head Quarters when manoeuvres with the British and Canadian Forces were taking place. The lane alongside the inn leads to New Village where stood the Bricklayers Arms, occupied in 1888 by a James Downer. Both these irms are now private dwellings.

61. Norton from the Bridge circa 1919. After crossing the bridge from Yarmouth, having paid a toll of one penny, Norton was soon reached and described as a pleasant but scattered village. The toll was abolished in 1934 after the County Council purchased the bridge. Following the road until the end of the railings, brings one to a lane leading to the River Var Boatyard, formerly the site of the old gasworks and gasometer, a footpath then continues as far as the Parish Church and the Red Lion Inn. According to an old Directory in 1859, a William Sawley occupied the inn.

62. Gate Lane, Freshwater Bay in the 1920's shows Riohardsons the chemists, Laceys the grocers and Starks Hotel, which is today still covered in creeper, giving a beautiful display of colour in the autumn, especially when seen from the foot of the downs opposite. The wall on the left of the picture is part of Bakers Farm, no longer farmed, but the remains of the old barns are to be seen from the footpath alongside St. Agnes Church. It was the Bakers with whom Mrs. Cameron, the photographer friend of Lord Tennyson, travelled when she left Freshwater for Ceylon where they had coffee plantations. Following the devastation through disease of the coffee growing areas, tea planting was substituted,

63. Longhalves, Freshwater circa 1909. About a hundred yards southwards from the Parish Church there is on the right, between the houses, a narrow path known as Longhalves. This path stretches for nearly a mile, but provides a shorter distance for the parishioners to and from the village. About half-way along stand the three little thatched cottages as shown with their respective wash-houses nearby, These have now been combined into one dwelling, In the far cottage lived the village midwife and it would be this path she would use if ealled out to houses in and around Church Place. The village end of Longhalves finishes between Bank Buildings, where Mr. Small had his Dental Practice for many years, and the Vine Hotel,

64. ColweIl Bay circa 1928. A dead calm sea and people just ambling on the beach conveys to one a feeling of relaxation on approaching the bay. The tide indicator provided useful information to the holiday maker. In this year a repeated suggestion of a Solent Tunnel in the area was unfavourably received by the Ministry of Transport, there being no reason to anticipate such an increase in traffic as to justify the expenditure. Hurst Castle, shown in the distance, is situated at the end of a long bank of shingle, or probably clay flints, extending in a curved line nearly two miles from the Hampshire coast, It was originally one of Henry VIII's forts, consisting of a tower with a date 1535, flanked by a long granite wall, with embrasures for heavy guns. It was here where King Charles I was confmed for twenty-seven days after his seizure by the army at Newport on 1st December 1648.

65. The Road to Totland Bay circa 1906. From the ground near the pier entrance and across the little bridge one reaches the narrow strip of pine screened down turf at the top of the cliff, known as the Turf Walk. This is a lovely tranquil walk, commanding fine views of the Solent. There is an interesting descent to the shore, about a hundred yards beyond the end of the turf, which leads to the old lifeboat station, where to the west the unspoilt area attracts a variety of bird life, the whitethroats having been observed on several occasions.

66. Circa 1911, The Isle of Wight Rifles, formerly the Island Volunteers, leaving the Drill Hall, Freshwater for a parade. The Unit, formed in 1859, had several changes of name; in 1885 it was renamed The 5th (I.W. Princess Beatrice's) Volunteer Battalion of the Hampshire Regiment, with H.R.H. Prince Henry of Battenberg as honorary Colonel. In 1892 the Prince with his regiment marched from Albany Barracks, Parkhurst to Freshwater and took part in a long field day. On the following day he was with the regiment in a 'night attack' on Freshwater. Prince Henry died in January 1896 whilst serving with the militaryexpedition to Ashanti. The Island contributed nearly ten thousand men to the war forces during the 1914-1918 conflict, about one fifth of them never to return. The war memorials at Freshwater Church and Cokes Green, Totland give the names of those who gave their lives,

.zJ FRE HWATF.R. - (Lsle j/vil{h:). - General Fie:«. - LL.

67. Freshwater Bay circa 1912. Tennis parties played an important part of the sociallife in Freshwater and Totland during the early part of the 1900's. Most of the large private houses had courts and some belonging to the letting houses were offered for hire until about the early 1930's. This picture was taken from Glenbrook and shows the old coastguard cottages, built in 1875, just behind the Temperanee Hotel (now Saunders) and to the left Marine House, Ocean View and Afton Down House. During the 1939-1945 War a bomb fell in the Square, just behind Marine House, and destroyed The Porch, once the home of Lady Anne Ritchie, writer daughter ofW.M. Thackeray and friend of the Tennyson family,

68. Circa 1928. Boy Scouts on Parade, marching along Avenue Road towards the Drill Hall, carrying their new staves for the first time. The Group (the second oldest in the Island) held their meetings in the Rover Hut, School Green, now referred to by the locals as the 'Black Hut'. Mr. Green was scoutmaster and Mr. Jeffreys the area scoutmaster. The Rover Group, formed with the encouragement of Lord Baden Powell, became the largest in the South of England and it was the Rovers who first introduced the local ûre service about 1926/27, practicing with a borrowed manual pump from Newport. Equipment was then purchased from the Ventnor Urban District Council, followed by the aquisition of a fire engine about 1936/37.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek