Gravesend in old picture postcards

Gravesend in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Douglas W. Grierson
Gemeente
:   Gravesend
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5747-6
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Gravesend in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

89. Echo Square and Cross Lane East. This view shows Bartholomew's Newsagents, with the advertising boards of the Daily Mail announcing: 'The Kaiser - another illness.' The shops were built on the site of Sun Cottage. The newly erected St. Faith's Hall (1907) and houses of Ferndale Road are just visible above the heads of the two girls standing in the dirt road. The Post Office was on the right and survived for over 80 years, finally closing in 1982.

90. This view of Cross Lane East, posted in 1930, contrasts with the view of Sun Cottage, taken from the same position over 20 years earlier. The parade brought shops to the new housing developments to the south of Gravesend. Theywere the Gravesend Co-operative Society Ltd. shops and a bakery. In the parade were also W.J, Hunt, builder and carpenter, Clark's confectioners and G.W. Mason's grocers.

91. Old Sun Cottage in Cross Lane, in about 1905, with the handcart of Mr. Hernming, the baker of 66 Granville road, in front. The cottage, a former beerhouse, with a backdrop of elm trees, was demolished around 1908. It had a small weatherboarded and thatched barn alongside. The end of the horsetrough in the centre of Echo Square, can just be seen on the left. The lane behind was also known as Old Sun Lane and Sun Pond Lane. The lattername came from the pond at the end ofwhat is now Port land Avenue. It was said to be deep enough to have drowned a boy who fell in from an overhanging tree.

92. Sun Lane, in a rural aspect, was also home for Charles Hooper-Srnith of the Middle Class School, who lived at 'Sunny Vale'. The picture shows Sun Lane as a dirt road with single footpath on the east side. The west side of the lane was not yet developed and an advertising board for land sales can be seen in the distance. The upper part of Milton Mount College and Elnathan Cottages in Cross Lane East are in the centre of the view.

93. Parrock Raad, looking south towards Echo Square and Whitehill Road, with its neat hedgerows and gardens. A haystaek from Parrock Farm is on the left in a field bordered by a chestnut fence. The gate faces Echo Square and the horsetrough. The land to the left now comains houses and a parade of shops in Echo Square.

94. Parrock Raad, looking north, with the horsetrough in the centre ofthe raad being used by a pony and trap. The red granite horsetraugh and drinking fountain was erected in memory of Kendrick and Annie Martha Gibbons, in 1903. It is shown with an ornate lamp. The raad was only single lane at this time and the rural aspect is enhanced by the tall trees and shrubs. On the Ieft, hidden by these trees, is Milton Mount College.

95. This view of Parrock Raad was taken about ten years later and is without the horsetrough, which had been moved to the west side of Echo Square. There it remained until a few years ago, when it was placed to the centre of Echo Square. The triangle in the centre of Echo Square, with the new raad direction signs and benehes. shows wh at was possible in the 1920's, without the traffic oftoday. The trees of the earl ier view have been c1eared and the retaining wall built. Seating is also provided at the bottom. The Milton Mount College is now c1early visible, with its ornate, rustic wooden fence.

96. Mi/ton Mount College was founded by Reverend William Guest, the Prince's Street Congregational church minister. It was to be established for the daughters of Congregational Church ministers and based on the Hoylake Female Seminary in the U.S.A. The site on the south-east of WindmiII HilI was obtained, its location giving rise to the name Milton Mount College. Designed by C.E. Robins. a Southampton architect, the building casts were estimated at ;[9,750. The foundation stone was laid on 5th October 1871, by Samuel Morley M.P. Miss Selina Hadland, a very experienced and remarkable woman, was the first headmistress from 1873 to 1889. The Milton Congregational Church, opened nearby, in 1874, was close enough for the staff and pupils to attend.

Elliott & Fr)',

MILTON MOUNT COLLEGE, GRAVESEND.

Dining Hall.

London, W.

97. Milton Mount College was originally built to accommodate 150 pupils, each with a single cubicle , except for sisters, who shared. A new wing was added in 1883, to accommodate a further 32 pupils. This view is ofthe ornate dining room. The college was a pion eer amongst girls schools in many things. It was the first to have dornestic science , handiwork and teacher training departments, also a laboratory, gymnasium and even a school magazine. The pupils achieved high rnarks in exams and helped locally in a children's home, run by a Miss Sharman.

98. The new 'Carter reading room is shown on this card, sent in 1914. Later that year, the pupils of Milton Mount College were involved in 'sewing and knitting parties' to help with the war effort. On 4th June 1915, a Zeppelin dropped bombs on Windmill Hili, breaking some of the college windows. It was decided to move the school to a safer area and the Royal Agricultural College at Cirencester was rented, with the school reopening there in September. Vickers, Maxim and Co. used the old college to house munitions workers. However, the Admiralty requisitioned the college as a naval hospital to treat venereal disease. This meant that, with the attached stigma and threatened staff resignations, the school did not return to Gravesend. The college became a Roman Catholic orphanage and was demolished in 1972.

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek