Gravesend in old picture postcards

Gravesend in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Douglas W. Grierson
Gemeente
:   Gravesend
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5747-6
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Gravesend in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

99. Arnold's footpath leads from Parrock Road to Church Walk, behind the houses of what is now Parrock Avenue. The field opposite was land owned by G.M. Arnold. The pupils of Milton Mount College used part of his meadow for sport. The villas in the distance, on the eastern slope of Windmill Hili, include Bronte VilIas, now a private school.

100. Milton Barracks' entrance, off Wellington street, with the guardhouse on the left. The card has on the reverse 'L. W.B. quartered here Jan 1915 with 9th Queens'. Recruiting and advertising posters for the army embellish the pillars and railings. A notice on the gate pillar warns vehicles entering and leaving, to proceed at walking pace. The barracks were built in 1863 and closed in 1971. The guardhouse was demolished and the site behind it is now the new Holy Trinity School. During the 1970's, the police station was ternporarily housed in the barracks, while the new police station was being built.

101. Soldiers trench-digging in Mi/ton Barracks, with the perimeter wall behind, beyond which is the meadow of G.M. Arnold. The view was taken before the start ofthe First World War and offers a clue to the pending fate of these men. Trench warfare and all its horrors awaited them in France and Belgium.

102. Christ Church School in Russeli Street was established in 1851. It was used for five years as a mission church until the old Christ Church was built nearby. The school was enlarged and survived unti11936. This view shows the 'Boys' Group 4' in about 1910, with their schoolmistress on the left. The 'unsmiling' boys are wearing long, laced-up boots and stockings ful! of holes. They al! have huge col!ars, some of lace and others have sailors' collars.

103. The old Christ Church was built in 1856 as a result of the increasing population in this part of Gravesend. The sale of St. John's Church to the Catholic Church mayalso have been a contributing factor. The church was extended and concerts were held there by soldiers from the nearby Milton Barracks. The church became unsafe and as taken down in 1932. All that remains of the old church are some blocks of stone in the centre of Christchurch Green. The church, however, was rebuilt on a site in Old Raad East, the foundation stone being laid in 1934, by the Countess of Darnley.

104. Windmill Hili Gardens were formally opened by the Lord Mayor of London in May 1902. Set out with a bowling green and tennis courts, together with ornamental gardens, they were a popular place to visit. Entertainment was organised by the Borough Fetes Comrnittee , who arranged open-air concerts every other Wednesday evening, throughout the summer. The view in the 1920's show the bandstand with stacked chairs on the right. The bowling green is on the left and in the distance is the rear entrance to the garden of the Windmill Tavern.

----~-----~--------"'21iC9[08.-~"

105. This view trom Windmill Hili shows the Milton Congregational Church, Clarence Place, which was built in 1874, following a rift at the Prince's St reet Church. The pastor, Reverend William Guest, broke away with his followers, to farm this new church, which had a capacity for 750. In time, the disagreement was healed and the two churches cooperated. It survived as a church for about 80 years, closing in 1955, after which it became a warehouse and in 1968, the Sikh temple. Clarence Place used to be known as Lacey Terrace , named after the builder of the dwelling-houses,

WI:!TDMII,I,. HII,I" GRAVESE!'<L), IN 1855.

106. Windmill Hili was a favourite destination for the many visitors to Gravesend. This card, issued by the Gravesend Magazine of 3 Railway Place , depiets a scene in 1855. The original artiele was set out in the Illustrated Times of 6 October th at year and describes the view on a pleasant September afternoon. The visitors having arrived, either on the new railway or by paddle steamer, have toiled up the hili to the oid windmill with its camera obscura. They have ridden donkeys, had tortunes told by gypsies and partaken ofthe refreshments availabie. The trellised booths are full of customers and children are playing with their father all enjoying their holiday.

107. This pleasant view, entitled 'On Windmili Hili', is of the top of Windmill Hili in 1905, with the visitors sheltering under the trees. The benehes provide a cool spot away from the SUD. The last windmill became unsafe and was pulled down in 1894. The old Belle Vue Hotel was burned down on Mafeking Night in 1900. The panoramic view of the surrounding countryside , town and river is still an attraction today.

108. The War Memorial, erected by public subscription, was unveiled in a part of Windmill HilI Gardens, facing Clarence Place in 1922. The unveiling was performed by General Lord Home, after a service with a large number of people present. It was damaged by bombing in the last war and had to be reerected. The memorial contains the names of the fallen of both world wars.

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek