Gravesend in old picture postcards

Gravesend in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Douglas W. Grierson
Gemeente
:   Gravesend
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5747-6
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Gravesend in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

9. Russell's Brewery, in a view taken from the end of West Street railway pier c. 1910, showing the extensive buildings. Much of the old site is now converted into flats and offices. They produced the famous Shrimp Brand beer. George Wood and Sans Brewery was one of many smal! breweries taken over by Rusell's. In West Street on the old brewery wall, there is still a terracotta panel of the shrimp trademark. Truman, Hanbury, Buxton and Co. Ltd. eventua1ly took over Russell's Brewery in 1931.

10. The Terminus Hotel, e. 1916. The Terminus was demolished and part of the Maltings housing complex is built on the site. Behind ean be seen the end ofthe London, Chatham and Doverrailway pier; an all-tides pier, whieh allowed the Batavier line to sail regularly to Rotterdam in Holland between the wars. Earlier, the Zeeland line used to sail to and from Flushing in Holland. The pier was also used by the paddle steamers, including the Golden Eagle, for pleasure trips.

A

.~



11. The Walton Belle paddle steamer, 1899, had been launched by William Denny & Brothers, Dumbarton, only two years earlier. This view was taken off the West Street pier and shows the Walton Belle in the summer season with its decks full of passengers. Most of the paddle steamer operators openly flouted the permitted passenger numbers. The popular Walton Belle survived after being sold to New Medway Steam Packet Cornpany, where she was renamed Essex Queen. She ended her days at Torquay as the Pride of Devon, where she was involved in a fatal collision. Due to her age and condition, she failed to gain a passengers' certificate and in 1951 was towed to the Thames to be scrapped at Grays in Essex. She was the last of the Belle paddle steamers.

12. A view in 1900, ofthe River Thames, with two young men admiring the scene. The smoke from the ship sailing downriver, curls up into the sky. Behind it are the saiJs of a three-masted sailing ship. Another large three-rnasted schooner is moored out in the river. The bow of the Tilbury Ferry is on the right.

13. The Town Pier was opened by the Earl of Darnley in July 1834. The construction was marred by the watermen, who believed their livelihood was threatened. The ensuing riot, which involved partial destruction of this temporary pier, required the attention of the yeomanry to quell it. The existing iron pier was constructed in 1836 and was covered over in 1854. The T-shaped pier projects 127 feet out into the RiverThames, with an end measuring 76 by 30 feet. The pier was constructed with a pontoon, allowing passen gers to alight at all times. It was a popular place for visitors admiring the view and at one time there was even a small band playing on the pier.

5 S833 ?

TOWN PIER AND FERRY, GRAVESENO

.? -,

14. The pontoon of the Town Pier with the Tilbury and the Carlotta alongide. Passengers are alighting from the ferry and have to walk up the gangway and steps up to the pier. The Carlotta, built in 1892, was thefirst of the then-modern vessels. The Tilbury was built in 1883 and was used to take the Lord Mayor of London to open the new Tilbury Docks in 1886. The Carlotta was sold to the Essex Yacht Club and renamed the Gypsy, after being refitted as their 'clubhouse' .

15. Looking along trom the Town Pier in this view of1905, shows the many steps and smal! jetties in the river. The first steps led up to the üld Falcon and the next seps are those of the üld Amsterdam in East Streel. George Wood's Brewery has a jetty with barrels stacked on it. St. Andrew's Waterside Mission can be seen behind. This church was erected in a north-south axis because of the narrow site, in 1870. The need for the mission was realised by Canon Robinson of Holy Trinity Church, to serve the emigrant ships, waiting off Gravesend. Amongst the donors towards the n,ooo building costs, was Charles Dickens. In the distance are Bawley Bay, the Clarendon Lawn and the covered slipway.

16. Bawley Bay ; c. 1910, with seven shrimp boats. Bawley Bay was known as the Blockhouse Doek, associated with King Henry Vl Il 's block house opposite the Clarendon. The shrimps of Gravesend were famous and used as the trademark of Russell's Brewery. The shrimping fleet declined and by the 1930's, only a few were left. The Thames estuary had long provided a rich fishing ground for the shrimps, which were boiled on board.

17. The Clarendon Royal Hotel, e. 1910. The view leads us along to the narrowEast Street and the Clarendon shades in the distanee. The Clarendon was originally the ordnanee storekeeper's house and was opened as a hotel in about 1845. The name arises from the house being built for James II (then Duke of York and High Adrniral), who married Anne, daughter of the Earl of Clarendon. U sed by the upper classes, it had as a guest, in 1863, the Prinee of Wales (later King Edard VII).

18. The Clarendonlawn, a former bowling green, was said to be the most famous in Gravesend, with a surface like a billiard tabie. The lawns were ruined when dances were held on them. Part of the lawn was used for playing tennis. During the First World War a pontoon bridge was set up from the lawn across the Thames to Essex, using 70 barges. The 'bridge' was struck by shipping several times. Alongside the lawn are the remains of the old block house of King Henry Vnl.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek