Gravesend in old picture postcards

Gravesend in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Douglas W. Grierson
Gemeente
:   Gravesend
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5747-6
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Gravesend in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

ROYAL TERRACE PIER, GRAVESEND.

No.5046

19. Sailing barge, c. 1906. The sailing barge is moored at West's barge builders, which started around 1904 and included a covered slipway. West's used their barges to carry goods across the Channel during the First World War and also were amongst the first to fit motors to their barges. Near the barge works, occupying the site of Milton wharf, was the London Lead Oxide Works. Prior to this, the site was a fodder business and a sweet factory. The original site was the Terrace Gardens and the works were built on the site of one of the old open bandstands.

??

-

20. The Terrace Pier was originally erected opposite the Clarendon in 1832. The current pier, in line with Harmer Street, was built in 1842 and was quite unique in respect ofbeing the first to have cast-iron cylinders as its foundation. The pier was surrounded by the Terrace Pier Gardens with their attractions. In 1892, the unsafe state of the pier endangered the users and it was bought by the Trinity House Pilots from the Receiver of the Court of Chancery.

21. The [rozen Thames in the Great Frost of 1895. This was reminiscent of the early frosts in London, caused by the narrow bridges restricting the flow. The bawley boats are trapped by the huge ice f1ows. Much of the river traffic was prevented from working.

22. Royal Terrace Pier in 1905, with 12 sailing barges and several tugs in view. On the eastern side ofthe pier was the Anglo-American wharf', established there in 1924. The wharf and adjoining oil depot serviced a large area. Fuel pumps supplied motor vessels in the Thames.

23. The Sea School was originally the Sailors' Home from 1886 until 1918, when the Sea School occupied the building. The Sea School was required to train sailors for the merchant navy, following the terrible losses of the First World War. The Triton, an old paddle schoonerlaunchedin 1882, was given to the school in 1919 and was moored off the jetty. The first captain superintendent was Captain Oswald Lewis, in charge of a potential of 300 boys. The new Sea School was built in 1967 on the marshes at Denton. The old Sea School has since been demolished. The old rotunda watch tower of the customs house is in the foreground.

24. The customs house in a drawing by Llwyd Roberts. This elegant building was erected in 1816, for the excise department, with the customs sharing the building in 1819. The site was originally the Fountain Inn, which was moved across the wad.

25. The promenade on a hot summer's day in the mid-1920's The shelters providing a shaded relief were erected in 1906. The 'beach' , withoutgroynes, appears mud-free, in contrast with theview in 1993. The promenade was a salt marsh and wasleased from the War Office in 1886, at a cost offlOper annum. G.M. Arnold, eight times mayor of Gravesend, gave a further area to the town in 1890. The bandstand was erected in 1890 at a cost of flOO. The early promenade had a wall, built partly of cement, salvaged when a schooner, the Spring, was wrecked. These cement bags were visible until quite recently, when the new river defences were built.

26. Fort House, General Gordori's house froml Sóf to 1871, was one of several, moved on rollers from the eastern si de of the 13th-century Milton chantry. This view shows the front of the house in 1907 in Milton Place with an alm ast country cottage appearance.

27. Fort House, a re ar view, showing the timber construction. The house was at one time a school and the town clerk's house. General Gardon carried his charitable work among the paar boys of the town, educating and feeding them. The house and several other buildings in Milton Place were destroyed by a V2 in 1944.

28. The memorial service for King Edward VII in 1910, on the promenade and recreation ground, with the mayor and eouneil on the raised platform. Hundreds of people and a eh oir are in attendanee. Around 1911, further improvements were made to the promenade and a swimming pool was ereeted on this site with water heated from the power station (ehimney visible in the distanee).

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek