Gravesend in old picture postcards

Gravesend in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Douglas W. Grierson
Gemeente
:   Gravesend
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5747-6
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Gravesend in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

29. The Alfresco Theatre on the promenade with Will Driscoll's Royal Sparks. Promenade coneerts were always a popular attraction. The programme in 1910 for L. Austin's Concerts advertised the following: 'These popular coneerts take place daily at 3 and 7.30. A company of talented, refined artistes in an up-ta-date programme. Acknowledge by all to be one of the finest and best Alfresco Entertainments ever seen in Gravesend. Sacred coneerts every Sunday evening at 8.30. Chairs 3d, 2d and 1 d.'

statue General Gordon, in Gordon's Gardens, Gravesen

30. The statue of General Gordon, made by Doulton & Co. in buff-coloured terra-cotta, was unveiled by the mayor, G.M. Arnold, in 1893. The statue is of General Gordon in Royal Engineers uniform, with his sword at his side and a cane in his hand. The cane was referred to by the Chinese soldiers of his 'ever victorious army' as 'Gordon 's wand of victory'. The General Gordon Memorial Gardens were presented to Gravesend by G.M. Amold.

31. The entrance to the Gordon Grounds, with the cast-iron drinking fountain and the stone obelisk inside the gardens. This has a commemorative plate regarding the donation of the ground by G. M. Arnold. The stone was moved in 1892 from the canal, where it had replaced the 'Round Tree' which had previously marked the Port of London's seaward limit. Following damage from use as a target, arson and finally storm, the obelisk was erected in the trees place. The pathway behind the fountain is now known as Khartoum Walk, in memory of General Gordon.

25149 Gravesena. Toe Canal L:ock.

.t

32. The canallock c. 1906, with a sailing barge about to enter. The canal was conceived in 1799, by Ralph Dodd, with military intentions: to save the mileage and time between the Thames and the Medway. Construction was estimated at two years, and was started soon afterwards, but was finally completed in 1824. One of the products shipped along the canal, was horse manure from London for use on farms as fertiliser. The end of the canal basin became the terminus for the Gravesend and Roehester Railway , opening for service in 1845. It was acquired the following year by the South Eastern Railway, In 1913, the Gravesend Sailing Club built a club house on land, bought from the South Eastern and Chatham Railway, adjacent to the canallock. The canal basin is now separated from the remains of the canal by an industrial estate.

33. The old boathouse in 1906, with the wide canal and open marshes to the re ar. The boathouse was made of an upturned boat and was said to be the idea for Charles Dicken's 'Peggoty's Baat House'. The old baathouse was the home of a boatowner who rented out pleasure boats on the canal for the visitors.

THE CANAL, GRAVESEND.

NO.5004

34. A swing bridge on the canal. This was one of several on the canal. The canal had a steam tug, used to help the barges along. The canal was not a success and the tunnel section at Higham was used for the track bed of the new railway. Despite a proposal for a new canal in 1902, the last traffic was only able to use the canal to as far as Higham.

35. The Ship and Lobster, c. 1906, with a group of soldiers 'rnarching' to the Denton ranges. Their appearance, however, indicates a visit to the nearbypub, the Ship and Lobster. The inn had a tea garden, skittle alley and swings, to attract the visitor. It was also used to hold inquests on bodies recovered from the River Thames. A proposal to build a mortuary next door never materialised. The path along which the soldiers are 'rnarching' , led further on to Shorne Mead Fort. For a considerable time after the First World War this popular path was closed to the public.

36. The range wardens and markers at Mi/ton ranges, c. 1905, with lowered target. The ranges were used by soldiers from Milton barracks, Gravesend, as weIl as the Royal Marines and sailors from Chatham. Great care was taken to avoid stray shots. Around this time the commanding officer was from the Royal Marines. These ranges also had their own railway halt.

37. This view of Denton shows the Prince of Wales public house, previously a farmhouse, in the distance at the junction with Elliott Street. At one time the Prince of Wales had a tea garden and bowling green in addition to a well-stocked cellar ofwine. The bowling green was used by the oldest bowls club in the district, The Gravesend and Milton. The shop next door was a grocer's and also a Post Office. On the opposite corner, the former bakery became the Co-operative Society - grocers and butchers. The row of houses continues until the long, red and white striped barber's pole of the hairdresser's can be seen. The tram lines are just visible and lead to the terminus near to where the picture was taken. Denton, a tiny parish of 435 acres, was almost entirely owned by G.M. Arnold and Lewis Raphael.

38. The Church School was built in 1861, with extensions being added in 1886. The school had the name 'Duck Pond School' as a result of the pond nearby. The school was part of the 'National Schools' scheme and remained in use untiljust before the Second World War. It continued to serve the community as the parish hall. The old school/parish hall needed expensive repairs and was sold to help fund the new church centre, erected on the north side of Milton church. The churchyard wall in the distance has ornate iron railings and gate where the present Iychgate stands.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek