Gravesend in old picture postcards

Gravesend in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Douglas W. Grierson
Gemeente
:   Gravesend
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5747-6
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Gravesend in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

39. The church at Mi/ton next Gravesend, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is of 14th-century construction. A church is mentioned in the 'Textus Roffensis' of 975 and the Domesday Book in 1087, although no trace of this earlier church exists. The roof of the church is its most unusual feature. In 1700, following the theft of lead, it was found that the existing roof needed attention. The result was the removal of the old crenelations and roof. The replacement roof gives it an oriental appearance.

40. This view shows two of the original and the two newly presented beils of Milton Church, about to be rehung. The beils were dedicated by the Dean of Roehester on 23rd October 1930. The large bell to the lef! was cast in 1930 by Mears and Stainbank Founders London, 'given in Memory of Alan Gates Sandford killed at Loos 1915 and F. W. Mitche1l21 years leader'. The centre bell on the hook and chain is the largest (42'). It is marked: 'John Hodson made mee 1656. MASARSI.S.T.M. andP.B. William Antrobus, John Hall, Churchwardens.' The right-hand bell is marked: 'M and S London given by Churchwardens Ernest E. and Mrs. L.E. KnowIes 1930. G. W. Mermie M.A. 30 years Rector.' The beils werc raised by a hand-operated steel cable winch on the left. The fourth bell is behind the winch.

41. The sundial in this view ofl9üO is on the south porch of Milton church. The sundial was the work of James Giles, master of the Free School, and bears the legend 'Trifle not, your time's but short'. Pocock, in his 'History of Gravesend' , 1797, devotes nearly a page to the workings of the sundial. The porch was used as avestry and is now a sm all chapel. The last incumbent, Reverend Hilary Day, restored the sundial.

42. Holy Trinity Church was erected in 1844 on a site donated by the War Department. The church was built of soft Kent ragstone, with a slate roof, and had a capacity of about 1,000. There was also a smal! school alongside, built in 1866, for 250 pupils. The new school with the same name was built in Milton barracks. The church served the community of this part of the town for over 100 years, until population shift to residential areas being built to the south, reduced the congregation. The church was demolished in 1963. The site is now the British Telecommunications car park and is surrounded by a high wire fence. The ornate lamp on the left is from the Globe public house. On the right can be seen the small thatched cottage th at stood where the present telephone exchange now is.

43. Miltan Raad is seen in this early view, showing the shop of Cunningham's Opticians on the right, at No. 18. There was no mistaking their pre mises with an enormous pair of spectacles on the parapet. They advertised as 'specialists in sight testing, spectades, repairs and matchings'. This photograph, taken in the summer ofl9ü6, shows the spire of the newly-erected Methodist Church behind the clock tower. The British Tar public house is on the right, at the end of the shop blinds.

44. The Modern School (Middle Class School) in Peacock Street was run by a Mr. C. Hooper-Srnith, who advertised the following: 'a thoroughly sound and practical Education is guaranteed, subjects of study being chosen with a view to each boy's capabilities and intended career.' Special classes were available for shorthand, callisthenics and violin. The school was subsequently run by a Mr. Waldgrave. The building becarne a dancing school, known as Freeborn's Hall. It was also home for Lewis's Printers and at present is a Sikh 'cash and carry' store.

45. The clock tower was erected as the 'Jubilee Clock Tower' to commemorate Queen Victoria's golden jubilee. The building costs were raised by public subscription. The foundation stone was laid by the mayor, William Fletcher, on 6th September 1887. Lord Grimthorpe was instrumental in the design of the clock which was based on Big Ben. The chimes were donated in 1890 by Alfred Tolhurst and were possibly those from the old Rosherville clock tower. The briek-built tower was faced in Portland stone with bands of Dumfries stone. ït originally had four gas lanterns at the base.

46. The Harmer House School in the tree-Iined, fashionable Grove, was run by a Mr. W.H. Hedger A.K. C. It was one of about six such schools in Gravesend for 'the younger gentlemen'. My wife's great-grandfather, the first Lewis Solomon, was a pupil there in the 1860's. Nearly fifty pupils, wearing mortar boards as part of their uniform, are visible in this view, taken in the 1880's. Harmer House became the laundry for Shaw and Sons. The building has now been demolished.

47. Harmer Street and the Grand Theatre are in this view of about 1900. Harmer Street was built in 1836 as part of an elaborate and grand scheme by the Milton Park Estate, whose Chairman was Alderman Harmer. The concept was for Harmer Street to open out in a circle, where now only Berkley Crescent is, and then along what is now the Grove (then Upper Harmer Street) to the foot ofWindmilI HilI. The Grand Theatre with its four huge columns, was a popular concert venue. It was built as the Literary Institute and changed names several times. The site is now remembered by the Cal! Boy public house. In the centre of the picture one ofthe booths is visible , situated at the entrance to the old Terrace Pier Gardens.

7064 WESLEYAN CHAPEL & CLOCK TOWER.

GRAVESEND.

48. The Wesleyan Methodist Church, Milton Road, was built in 1812 as the Ebeneezer Chapel. The increasing congregation required the building to be enlarged and this was carried out in 1841, when the frontage, seen in the view, was added. The Church Sunday School was held in Peacock Street and the sign in front of the church proclaims, 'Pleasant Sunday Afternoons For Men and Women'. The space behind the railings at the front of the church provided a smal! burial ground.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek