Gravesend in old picture postcards

Gravesend in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Douglas W. Grierson
Gemeente
:   Gravesend
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5747-6
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Gravesend in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

49. The new Wesleyan Church with the sign of the railing announcing 'Church Opening', in June 1906. The church was built in the decorated gothic style of red brick and Bath stone, at a cost of over f1O,OOO. The buil der was Mr. A.E. Tong and the architects were Morley & Sons. The church was built for 800 and had a school behind it, which was completed and opened earlier.

50. Milton Raad in this view of about 1910, shows the shop of Cl arke and Co. Clarke's produced postcards of Gravesend and District along with the 'Cheapest Printing in Gravesend' . The shop front is full of their wares. Miss Rawlinsons' shop at Nos 4 and 5, sold baby-linen. This picture also shows the early farm of electric street lighting in Gravesend. The tram lines, set in cobble stones, lead past the New Inn and Mitre Inn at the corner of Queen Street.

51. This view ofthe New Inn, Milton Raad, taken about 1913, shows the inn with beautifully decorated advertising signs for Rigden's Fine Ales. Behind the inn are Turner's livery stables. who offered char-à-banc drives daily. The New Inn was once the family home ofDr. Holker, who accommodated the Prince and Princess of Orange in 1734. They sheltered there, due to unfavourable sailing weather. It was sold in the 1780's, to become the New Inn, named as such, perhaps, because the licensee was from the New Tavern. The New Inn, a farmer coaching inn, boasted a large garden at the rear, with a bowling green.

52. St. John's Roman Catholic Church was built in 1834 as a chapel of case and sold to the Catholic Church by Reverend W.I. B1ew in 1851. The tower was built in 1873. Railings and shrubs surround the front of the church. Alongside, in Parrock Street, was a standing for the char-à-bancs. The magnificent lamp in the centre of the picture stands at least 25 feet high and is surmounted by a crown.

53. This aerial view of Parrock Street and adjoining roads shows St. Andrew's Mission at the top. Moving down Queen Street, many houses ean be seen that were onee in East Street, Crooked Lane, the Terrace and Terrace Streel. The area around Parrock Street, bottom left of the view, was also cleared away. This has provided Gravesend, for over twenty years, with a vast ear park, now overlooked by two large blocks of flats.

C~DlD !'ROM AN AEROPLANE. PARROCK STREET. TERRAe<: PIE:R. THAHES M,SSION CHl:IRCH.t'-s)

/

'.~

54. King Streetin about 1915, with a policeman standing in the centre of the view. The premises of Bryant and Rackstraws are on the left. They took over the business of Caddell's Printers adjoining, and offered a cornprehensive service to Gravesend as drapers, furnishers, etc. including alending library and book service. The present Westminster Bank on the right, was built on the site of the old almshouses in 1898. The Daimier omnibus alongside David Greig's, built in 1903, was operated by the North Kent Motor Services. It was part of the Gravesend and Northfleet Electric Tramway Co. from 1913 to 1920, when the service was taken over by Maidstone and District.







--.. .?...

55. This view of New Road shows the Nelson Hotel, landlord Thomas Hooper, with the hotel part in the foreground. The centre lower section was the billiards room and the western end the Nelson shades. The former Nelson used to be a coaching inn and stables, jutting out into the New Road. The vacant lot for sale beyond the Nelson was Steel's stonemason's yard. It is now the site of the Midland Bank. The Prince of Orange, commercial inn, has a large notice offering luncheon daily, from 12.30 to 2.30. This was also in its time another coaching inn and was demolished in the 1920's, to become Burton's. The adjoining 'Wonderful Mutoscope', with the enticing 'Admission Free', was an amusement arcade with 'what the butler saw machines'. Trees are visible on the south side of New Road.

56. This view of the High Street shows the town hall with its attraetive eolumned front, whieh was added in 1836. On the top of the town hall were three huge statues of 'Justice, Truth and Minerva' . (These were removed for safety before the last war, but what happened to them, I have been unable to establish.) The original boundary between Gravesend and Milton Parish ran down the eentre of the High Streel. lts narrowness eaused many problems for horse-drawn wagons and pedestrians. Many hanging and other shop advertising signs ean be seen, along with some very ornate lamps. Jury Street leads off to the left.

57. This postcard shows the view of High Street from Town Pier Square. The narrow road on the right is West Street befare 'The Kent and Essex, Ironmongery and Ship Chandlery Stores' was demolished to widen the road. The High Street is full of busy shops, public houses and restaurants. A row of about ten timber weatherboard houses is on the right, with numerous advertising signs projecting into the High Streel.

H. SJMMONDS, 68. - 69. - 70, High Sr., Gravesend.

Nored House fot Good Value, Established over 100 Years,

58. This advertising card of Henry Simmonds of 68,69 and 70 High Street, Gravesend, shows the sales assistants, standing in the doorways of the shop. Simmonds were established around 1800. The shop advertised as 'Undertaker, Dress and Mantie Maker and Milliner'. The High Street was always a bustling and busy shopping area, serving not only the townsfolk and nearby inhabitants, but also the many visitors to Gravesend. The High Street since has suffered, not only with the loss of the housing on either side, but also because of a shift westwards of the main shopping area. The result is, that today the lower end of the High Street is a scene of desolation.

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek