Gravesend in old picture postcards

Gravesend in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Douglas W. Grierson
Gemeente
:   Gravesend
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5747-6
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Gravesend in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

59. St. George's Church in this view is shown surrounded by buildings. The smoking chimney in the distance is of Russell's Brewery and the end of the West Street railway pier can be seen. Just below the chimney is the Church Street School, built in 1876 to accommodate over 480 pupils, including infants. Much of the area was cleared in the early 1960's, leaving eventually only the church. Also in the view is a three-masted sailing ship on the River Thames. The Tilbury Hotel, built in 1886, is visible behind. This hotel was constructed mainly of timber on over 400 piles. In 1944 it was bombed and destroyed by fire.

st. George' s P arish G.urch of Gravesend (Exterior).

't

60. St. George's Church was built in 1731, on thesite ofthe previous church, which was destroyed in a fire in 1727. The church, designed by Charles Sloane, was built oflocal brick and dressed in Bath stone. The church had had additions: the chance! in 1892 and the north aisle in 1897. The church closed in 1952, reopening when Holy Trinity Church closed in 1962. Following the demolition of St. James' Church in 1968, it resumed a rightfu! position as the parish church of Gravesend. The church is noted, particularly in the U .S.A., as the burial p!ace of the Indian Princess Pocahontas. Her statue stands in the churchyard and, according to the register, she was buried as Rebecca Wro!fe in the chancelof the earlier church, in 1616.

7060 WINDMllL ST.

GRAVESEND.

61. Windmill Street showing the recently opened public library on the right. Built of stone and red brick, it was opened in 1905 by G.M. Arnold, the mayor. Andrew Carnegie offered the finance, provided a suitable site could be obtained. The site was purchased for the sum of 1 ,000 guineas, funded by various prominent townsfolk and businesses. Andrew Carnegie was given the freedom of the borough as a result. A pawnbroker's sign can be seen on the left. This sign, minus the balls, is still there. In the distance is Bryant and Rackstraw's shop. The tram lines ran down both sides of the road.

62. Windmill Street, with railings on the left surrounding the old burial ground. This was used from 1788, as an extension for St. George's churchyard, until 1854, when the last interment was carried out. The burial ground became rubbish strewn and in 1888 was acquired by the council and turned into Woodville Gardens. The tram is travelling from the terminus at the old Prince of Orange, into the town. Most of the houses still have their front gardens, complete with cast-iron railings. Harry Legg's carriers premises are on the right.

63. The beautiful rear garden ofthe Station Hotel, where the regulars are enjoying their pints of beer. Behind them can be seen the allotments where the Rathmore Raad car park was built in the late 1950's. Before the houses were built on the !eft-hand side, the route was known as Blackberry Lane. In the distance, at the end of the allotments, is Hutchinson Place, built in the early 1830's and named after the owner of the land.

S 5822

CENTRAL STATION. GRAVESEND.

64. The railway station was opened in 1849, the architect being Samuel Beazley. The London-bound side was the more impressive with its tall columns. The station had a turntabIe, water tower and goods sidings. This view, looking west, shows the platform and canopies, with the iron footbridge over the line. The old Darnley Road bridge ean be seen in the distance. The station was mueh used in the early days by royalty, arriving and departing from the Royal Terraee Pier.

65. New Road in 1905, with the Colonial Meat Company on the left, advertising New Zealand mutton and American beef. The import of me at from America, Australia and New Zealand was made possible by the new, refrigerated ships. The 'Oil, Color and Varnish Stores' are on the right with various produets advertised on its wall. The solitary tram is making its way along New Road to the terminus at Denton.

66. This view of New Raad, posted in 1916, but taken a few years earlier at the height of sumrner, shows two soldiers in a cart, riding along the tram tracks. Missing's Bazaar is decorated with St. Georges and Union Flags. On the right, just past E. Mason, saddlers, can be seen the scaffolding poles ofthe new Midland Bank.

New Roàd, Gravesend

67. New Road at the junction with Garrick Streef shows the Salvation Army hall, purchased in 1883, on the right. The hall was built as the Theatre Royal in 1807, by a Mr. J. Trotter. The stables in Royal Mews, next door, were once the livery stables of Lewis Salomon. As carriage master, he provided char-à-banc and other services, in addition to his main business as funeral furnishers. The next building was the Eagle tavern. This whole corner is now occupied by Teseo's. The row of shopblinds on the left continues in an almast unbroken line along the road.

'.>

S 5827

LONDON ROAD. GRAVESEND.

68. The Public Halls and Restaurant is the large building on the right. The halls date from around 1880 and are shown in this viewbeing used as a U.S.A. roller skating rink, a craze at the turn ofthecentury. The halls were used as a cinema from 1912, the earliest in Gravesend. The char-à-banc outside the hall is one owned by Solornon's, who advertised a 'Trip to Cobham, 1/- return, from the Public Halls'. The bakery at the corner of Bath Street is still there today and also the sign on the tram pole outside, indicating to the hospital. In the distance is the Invicta Cycle Works, next to St. James' School.

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek