Gravesend in old picture postcards

Gravesend in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Douglas W. Grierson
Gemeente
:   Gravesend
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5747-6
Pagina's
:   112
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Gravesend in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

69. The Wheatsheaf public house on the corner of Darnley Road is shown in its original clapboarded state. St. James' Church was built in 1852 and demolished in 1968. The first incumbent, Reverend John Joynes, is remembered by the name ofthe K. C. C. offices on the site, 'Joynes House'. Only a few original houses are left in New Road and around the corner in Darnley Road, mainly visible by their roof structures and timber clapboarding at the rear.

70. St. James' Church was built in 1851 of Kent ragstone. Seating was originally provided for 827. The first minister was Reverend J oyn Joynes (1851-1883). The vicarage, behind the church in the Overcliffe, was presented by Reverend E. Mort. The old church was demolished in 1968, after acting as the parish church for Gravesend from 1952. The old oak altar was given to the Cobham parish Church.

COPYRIGHT.

Graveseed Hospital.

71. Gravesend Hospital in Bath Street had its origins in a small dispensary, which had been established in 1850 in Milton Road, at the corner of Wellington Streel. Severallocal business people and Lord Darnley helped fund this charitable venture. The need for a hospital was apparent and land donated by Lord Darnley in Bath Street realised this gaol. In 1854, the new dispensary and infirmary were opened, the architect being John Gould. This was the start ofthe hospital, which by the 1880's was known as the Gravesend Hospital and was run by voluntary contribution.

72. This view of the interior of a femae ward in Gravesend Hospital, shows the neatly made beds with everyone, including patients, posed for the photograph. The ward is lit by gas, as shown bythe hanging lamp. None ofthe windows have curtains and there is no evidence of any form of screening, for privacy. The only greenery is provided on the table in the foreground, covered with flower vases and potted palms.

Gravesend. Technioal Sello~'

73. The foundation stone ofthe Technical School was laid in 1892, and the building was opened by Their Royal Highnesses, Princess Beatrice and Prince Henry of Battenberg on 19th July 1893. The Technical School was designed by Lt. Col. Plunkett C.B.E. A new wing was added and opened in 1901, to accommodate a central hall, laboratories and workshop. The statue of Queen Victoria, in front, was presented by G .M. Arnold, to commemorate her diamond jubilee in 1897.

74. Darnley Raad, described as 'another charming spot: the houses here are mostly serni-detached, standing in gardens sweetly decked in floral beauty, opening out upon a fine outspread country'. It was at one time a favourable part of the town, and the 'well-to-do' business people lived there. This country raad had a high bank on the west side and was considered preferabie to Pelham Road, which suffered with the tram system. The northern section was once known as Somerset Street.

75. Elephants from 'Lord' lohn Sanger's Circus can be seen in this view, leaving Darnley Road and entering Arthur Street. The circus, a regular visitor to Gravesend, was encarnped on the area behind the Overcliffe and Lennox Road, before St. James' Avenue was built. The processison, with crowds ofpeople watching, consists of four elephants, three carnels, followed by a horse and wagon. The circus was originally owned by 'Lord' George Sanger and his brother John. 'Lord' George Sanger, the founder of the showrnan's guild, was murdered in 1911.

76. The quadrangle of the County School [ar Girls in Pelham Road. The school was opened on 20th October 1926, by the Duchess of Athol!. The site used to be a cow pasture and was also used as a sports field, users including Gravesend United Football Club. The school becarne the Girls' Grammar School in 1944.

77. This view towards Gravesend was taken around 1910, from the top of the Rosherville doek tower. The view over the fields, where Marina Drive now is, shows the smal! stationmasters' house at Rosherville. The spire of Rosherville church is centre left, with an almost deserted road leading to Gravesend. Lennox Road, with only a few houses, cuts across the middle and in the distance are the tall trees that line Pelham Road.

78. Pelham Raad and Old Raad West are seen in this view of 1910, with the sm all triangle in the centre of the junction. The shopping parade contains the depot for Shaw's Laundry. The tram lines in the foreground, come from the depot at the Bridge Inn in Dover Raad and lead on, up Pelham Raad, towards the town. Pelham Road was formerly known as Manor Lane and Styles Lane, before the housing developments ofthe late-Victorian age.

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek